JDM Toyota Dyna 4x4 Build Thread

Not_Sure

Super nice! I’ve been looking at the HiAce fire trucks lately, curious what could be easily removed, and what would be harder to undo. Any pitfalls or changes that were u expected/more difficult than expected?

FireAce

Super nice! I’ve been looking at the HiAce fire trucks lately, curious what could be easily removed, and what would be harder to undo. Any pitfalls or changes that were u expected/more difficult than expected?

Not sure what you mean by easily removed? Like lights, etc? Lights were easy to remove, these trucks were retrofitted as fire trucks so most everything can be ‘undone’. I had a big rack and pump platform on the back of mine, cut all of the racks, off and basically returned the box to a ‘standard’ box.

My only caution is expect a very sluggish engine, especially if you’re looking at the 2.4d or 2.8d. I was lucky enough to find a 3.0d (naturally aspirated) and couldn’t imagine having any less power. It does highway speeds but barely, especially with bigger tires. If there’s a good headwind, no chance. Still drives great overall and the benefit of a diesel is that even fully loaded down it seems to tick along at more or less the same speed. Gasoline engines certainly don’t handle loads nearly as well. 90-100km/h seems to be its comfort zone but I can push it to 120km/h without too much trouble.

Overall these trucks are very modification friendly, simple design, very little electronics, and everything is easily accessed.

Not_Sure

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I would be looking to return one to the standard box, and then modify from there. There is a place @5 hours from me that has a few examples.
Cheers!

Andywear

My only caution is expect a very sluggish engine, especially if you’re looking at the 2.4d or 2.8d. I was lucky enough to find a 3.0d (naturally aspirated) and couldn’t imagine having any less power. It does highway speeds but barely, especially with bigger tires. If there’s a good headwind, no chance. Still drives great overall and the benefit of a diesel is that even fully loaded down it seems to tick along at more or less the same speed. Gasoline engines certainly don’t handle loads nearly as well. 90-100km/h seems to be its comfort zone but I can push it to 120km/h without too much trouble.

Here with just a Van, 2.0 turbo Diesel and seeing people have a 2.2 or 2.4 and then you with a 3.0, maaaan what I wouldn't give for MOAR POWAA!!

glad you found some wheels that fit perfect. Im still running the 14's and too worried about finding the right offset and then about trimming/beating fenders in.

FireAce

Got my new summer/adventure shoes on today. Hoping road trips are still going to be possible this summer!

45c9f30979fe55c13810f9e66eb852c1.jpg

canuker

Looks great. Who did you go through for importing? I've been debating importing one of these for years. I live in BC. It looks like you probably live in BC too.

FireAce

Looks great. Who did you go through for importing? I've been debating importing one of these for years. I live in BC. It looks like you probably live in BC too.

I actually live in Alberta. I used Zen Autoworks out of Calgary, zenautoworks.ca
Highly recommend them!

Sent you a PM as well.

Last edited:

FireAce

It has been a while since I have updated things. Work on the truck has been slow but steady.

Just installed new heavy duty torsion bars on the front which allows me to crank the torsion bars for a little more lift and will help control the weight as well. Going to be replacing all of the shocks soon and currently working on lifting the rear to match the front height.

Had a light-weight custom pipe bumper fabricated, it includes a 2" hitch receiver for winching and/or a front mount bike rack and super heavy duty shackle/recovery loops. Also had a rear hitch receiver installed at the same time, plan is to use it for a rear mounted rack/spare tire carrier, will mount it on a swing arm to make for easy access to my camper.
Also had the side windows ceramic tinted.

Here's the truck with the new bumper installed:

IMG_8107.jpg

Did some major service over the summer as well, new timing belt, tstat, acc belts, etc. done and changed diff, trans, transfer case fluids.

Next up is a new OEM quad round headlight retrofit which will include hi/lo HID xenon projectors and a proper LHD beam pattern.

Unfortunately no work on the camper recently due to challenges in finding parts (windows, etc.) that don't cost a small fortune.

Otherwise lots of time spent this summer exploring backroads and getting dirty off road!

NikAlex

Love your truck. I am working on my 'new to me' 2002 Dyna LY280 4WD quad cab too. Same 5 sp manual 5L diesel combo. But no low range so just a single speed transfer case. That's really the only major thing I would change if I could figure that one out. Seems like a really big job. Shift linkage, drive shafts, not to mention finding a good 2 speed transfer case.
Located in Vancouver, BC.
ChIMG_3044.jpgCheers, Roman

I'm trying to get a feel for the size/dimensions of these things. Do you know what the rough L x W x H of your truck is, and what the bed length is?

Dmgrant

I would be interested to know what these trucks are rated to tow? A quick search says approx. 1800kg which seems very low given the solid drivetrain and build.

allochris

Adventurer
so, what year did Dyna switch from having low range to not having low range? 2001/2ish?

im also in bc, looking into getting one of these Dynas.

So does it mean your Ly280 have Fulltime AWD? like a subaru?

Last edited:

allochris

Adventurer
Last edited:

NikAlex

Congrats on the LY270!

Mine is permanent 4WD although I did install manual Aisin hubs on the front axle. It's the same size and number of splines as the HIace, 4 runner etc.
Unfortunately my truck is not happy in 2WD with the front hubs unlocked. I assume it has to do with the ABS system that my truck has. Can't really explain it yet. But with my front hubs unlocked there is an uncomfortable clicking or grinding noise. It's not the hubs, that much I know.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Even though my truck has a single speed transfer case, being a 5 speed manual, 1st gear is low enough for most things. It's a truck first gear, quite low.

One of my sons just put on 5,000 kms on the truck on a 2 week trip to San Diego and back to Vancouver.
His first time driving stick. He did pretty darn good, even sleeping in the truck as needed.

As for towing, the most I've towed is about 3,500 lbs without any issues. Not sure what the towing capacity actually is.
My truck has a 1.2 Tonne payload capacity from the factory. (springs, torsion bars, brakes etc.)

I installed a generic 5,000 lb rear receiver style hitch myself. Pretty easy to do with the 'normal' C - channel full frame design of the Dyna.
(A lot easier to install and maintain than the HIace LH107 4WD I had before this)

Cheers,
Roman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier