JDM Mitsubishi Delica JB500 camper body on L300 truck chassis build

Bill billing

Hey Bill, sorry for the loooong delay in getting back to you! I like your Elf (those front lower windows look so cool) and yea, definitely looks like the same interior we have which is interesting since the Elf looks longer than the JB500. I'm very happy with the fridge so far but honestly haven't had much opportunity to use the water heater. In my testing it seems to work really well and it fits in the old space with very minor modifications.

Did you end up stripping your wallpaper? We're still very happy with our results.

-Tor
Hey Tor.. Nice, thats all good news. I'm still waiting for mine! haha its killing me, ETA is Sept 29th but at least its on the water now and I have all the customs paperwork turned in so now its just waiting and researching. I really appreciate your response and I do plan on taking down the wall paper first thing, I can see places in photos its peeling already.

I'll update here when I get it!

Torbot

Hey Tor.. Nice, thats all good news. I'm still waiting for mine! haha its killing me, ETA is Sept 29th but at least its on the water now and I have all the customs paperwork turned in so now its just waiting and researching. I really appreciate your response and I do plan on taking down the wall paper first thing, I can see places in photos its peeling already.

I'll update here when I get it!

Yeah, the waiting has got to be rough! I should let you know that taking the wallpaper down and refinishing the wood is not a task for the faint of heart! We used a heat gun and a portable clothes steamer to get it off, but you will have places where the veneer will come off with the wallpaper no matter how hard you try. The veneer is an asian mahogany which - while very pretty - is not super high quality and may be mismatched in places (you can see that in the photos). Then there's all the sanding and (in my case) at least 4 coats of polyurethane.

Pro tip: #1 if you plan to do any other renovations, leave the wallpaper on the lower parts of the camper for last as you'll end up trashing the wood while you turn yourself into a pretzel trying to get to all the fasteners and move parts, pieces and equipment around.

Pro tip #2 The doors are easy to remove, so take those off and do them outside the camper. We even took the rear divider wall out to install the map - made it much easier.

I'm not trying to dissuade you one bit! We're super happy with the results, mismatched panels and all. It really warms up the interior and believe it or not, it smells better (wallpaper tends to trap odor apparently), I'm just giving you fair warning that it was not an easy job, but well worth the results in the end.

Bill billing

Yeah, the waiting has got to be rough! I should let you know that taking the wallpaper down and refinishing the wood is not a task for the faint of heart! We used a heat gun and a portable clothes steamer to get it off, but you will have places where the veneer will come off with the wallpaper no matter how hard you try. The veneer is an asian mahogany which - while very pretty - is not super high quality and may be mismatched in places (you can see that in the photos). Then there's all the sanding and (in my case) at least 4 coats of polyurethane.

Pro tip: #1 if you plan to do any other renovations, leave the wallpaper on the lower parts of the camper for last as you'll end up trashing the wood while you turn yourself into a pretzel trying to get to all the fasteners and move parts, pieces and equipment around.

Pro tip #2 The doors are easy to remove, so take those off and do them outside the camper. We even took the rear divider wall out to install the map - made it much easier.

I'm not trying to dissuade you one bit! We're super happy with the results, mismatched panels and all. It really warms up the interior and believe it or not, it smells better (wallpaper tends to trap odor apparently), I'm just giving you fair warning that it was not an easy job, but well worth the results in the end.
Wow nice! thanks for all the info, thats super helpful to know what I'm getting into. I was thinking it would pull off really easy and even haha I have no experience with wall paper at all. Yeah the mismatched panels give it character I feel, kinda like a nice DIY cabin or recycled wood build. Oh yea I really love the map, thats good to know its not to hard to take out the divider. How did you install the map and where did you get it? I showed my partner your camper and she loved it! I think it looks really good too

Torbot

Wow nice! thanks for all the info, thats super helpful to know what I'm getting into. I was thinking it would pull off really easy and even haha I have no experience with wall paper at all. Yeah the mismatched panels give it character I feel, kinda like a nice DIY cabin or recycled wood build. Oh yea I really love the map, thats good to know its not to hard to take out the divider. How did you install the map and where did you get it? I showed my partner your camper and she loved it! I think it looks really good too

Some panels come off easy as pie, others are a pain in the ********. Completely random but it can be done. My wife found the map on amazon but don't recall exactly what we ordered. We just used some 3m spray mount.

and actually the divider is kinda a pain in the ******** to remove too :rolleyes: but I needed it out to access some of the plumbing. There are some screws that are really hard to reach, but I ended up using a combo of a 90 degree ratcheting phillips bit driver and a flexible driver mounted to a cordless drill. It can be done.

The camper is impressively well built which is great, but it means most things end up being at least some degree of a pain in the ******** ;).

Bill billing

Some panels come off easy as pie, others are a pain in the ********. Completely random but it can be done. My wife found the map on amazon but don't recall exactly what we ordered. We just used some 3m spray mount.

and actually the divider is kinda a pain in the ******** to remove too :rolleyes: but I needed it out to access some of the plumbing. There are some screws that are really hard to reach, but I ended up using a combo of a 90 degree ratcheting phillips bit driver and a flexible driver mounted to a cordless drill. It can be done.

The camper is impressively well built which is great, but it means most things end up being at least some degree of a pain in the ******** ;).
cool, I feel good about it all hearing first hand what it takes and what to expect. can't wait to share some photos after it lands! thanks again!

Acadiegilles

Hi there!

I also have a JB500 and was wondering if you had any luck finding a owners manual ? I found one fellow on instagram from japan that posted a photo of one but I have had no luck hearing back from anyone. I'm hoping to get itleast photos of the manual even if they are japanese, I could get them translated ?122121804_10157767271175745_7063561566640037211_o.jpg

Bill billing

Hey tor,

I finally finished the wallpaper removal and poly job. You weren't kidding that was annoying haha but I love the outcome! Monday I have appointments for register and take to the mechanic to inspect it. Can't wait till it's legal.

Attachments

• 20201111_105113.jpg
    20201111_105113.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
  • 20201111_105101.jpg
    20201111_105101.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
  • 20201111_105125.jpg
    20201111_105125.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
  • 20201111_105132.jpg
    20201111_105132.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57

Torbot

Hey tor,

I finally finished the wallpaper removal and poly job. You weren't kidding that was annoying haha but I love the outcome! Monday I have appointments for register and take to the mechanic to inspect it. Can't wait till it's legal.

Hey man - congrats! Yeah, hell of a job but your results look great! Really ties the rig together :D.

Hernandm8800

We actually bought ours back in May but figured there's so few of us around, I should add my info here too (pics below). Ours came with a large solar panel on the roof, two house batteries (one of which was a monstrous boat battery of some kind jury rigged under the chassis. Neither of them worked :(). It's a really cool vehicle and gets a good amount of attention wherever we go.

View attachment 547576

Upgrades/changes:
  • removed the old gray 90's wallpaper and finished the underlying wood (Lauan veneered plywood) with about 5 coats of wipe-on poly (really ties the room together )
  • new wireless backup camera
  • replaced the 6 gal. tank water heater with a tankless instant water heater
  • replaced the non-working 3-way fridge with a 12v TF65 Truck Fridge
  • removed the (also non-working) rear heater and A/C unit (don't use A/C and the rear heater looked pretty beat). Will add storage there instead and either a Propex heater or Webasto (or similar) diesel heater (haven't decided yet).
  • replacing all plumbing with new PEX water lines
  • new shower head
  • new drinking water faucet
  • will probably install bamboo flooring as well.
Due to an unusually busy summer and the upgrades listed above, we haven't really done much camping in it yet, but it should make a great little camper once things are done! Here are some before/after pics of the interior:

View attachment 547593 View attachment 547594

View attachment 547595 View attachment 547596
How did you get that fridge out. I am trying to remove mine to install a window unit air conditioner in its place and I cannot find any screws that mount it.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Hernandm8800

Anyone else have thier window open up while on the highway??? Circular saw and plexi glass until I can figure out a replacement. I have been full time living in mine with my dog for the past 2 years in north west Connecticut. Anyone know how to remove the refrigerator?
511f55546014189ba97439ad7475f588.jpg

mobydick 11

Anyone else have thier window open up while on the highway??? Circular saw and plexi glass until I can figure out a replacement. I have been full time living in mine with my dog for the past 2 years in north west Connecticut. Anyone know how to remove the refrigerator?
511f55546014189ba97439ad7475f588.jpg

There are screws in the face and also some screws in the sides .you have to go in through the side cupboard . also I removed the hole back of the camper to do it . You will probably find that all the floor under it is dry rotten . I already mentioned that I sold my JB500 last summer . Just picked up a VW Doca syncro ,left hand drive . I have the back window frame ,broken glass though if someone needs it .

Hernandm8800

I have been trying to get in through that way but the panel in front of the water heater doesn't want to budge.

mobydick 11

Also do you have a picture of the hole you made in the rear?

I did not make a hole . Do you see the trim piece that goes up the sides and across the top . pull out the rubber welting from the center . there is then a bunch of screws that are exposed . Remove the screws and cut along the calking where it meets the bumper across the bottom . I think you have to take the bolts out and remove the ladder as well . The hole back of the camper comes off . at least mine did . probably missing a few things ,but it was a couple years ago .I think you have to access the back to remove the propane and electrical lines .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles