JDM Mitsubishi Delica JB500 camper body on L300 truck chassis build

rideglobally

Adventurer
We will be getting our 1994 JB500 around end of June then taking it for a drive across America for the summer. Plan to replace the tires with 31" Toyo All Terrain. It is turbo diesel. What other quick modification should I do for a little bit more power and reliability. thx

Attachments

• PHOTO-2020-06-09-12-35-14.jpeg
    PHOTO-2020-06-09-12-35-14.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 32
  • PHOTO-2020-06-09-12-36-14.jpeg
    PHOTO-2020-06-09-12-36-14.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 32

mobydick 11

We will be getting our 1994 JB500 around end of June then taking it for a drive across America for the summer. Plan to replace the tires with 31" Toyo All Terrain. It is turbo diesel. What other quick modification should I do for a little bit more power and reliability. thx
When I purchased my non turbo 500 it had 16 inch wheels and tires on it . this allowed me to get about 62 mph out of it . I switched to 15 inch wheels and KO2 and now I am running about 58 MPH . Just check the 110 volt as the plugs are different ,including the shore power plug . also the pump for the water system is inside the tank if you have a problem with it . I just added an external pump with pressure switch built in .

rideglobally

Adventurer
When I purchased my non turbo 500 it had 16 inch wheels and tires on it . this allowed me to get about 62 mph out of it . I switched to 15 inch wheels and KO2 and now I am running about 58 MPH . Just check the 110 volt as the plugs are different ,including the shore power plug . also the pump for the water system is inside the tank if you have a problem with it . I just added an external pump with pressure switch built in .

Thanks, What is the overall diameter of your tires? I have a turbo, I plan to run 31" diameter, how do you think those will do?

rideglobally

Adventurer
I really wish one of the owners of a JB 500 or 470 could set up something so the owners could share information and ideas . there may be 6 to 10 jb500 and a few 470 out there .I have been heavily modifying mine and throwing away lots of parts . Every time I do this i just keep thinking ,some one out there may need this and it is very hard or impossible to find . I would have gladly given them to someone in need.
Do you have a thread that shows modifications that you have done?

mobydick 11

Do you have a thread that shows modifications that you have done?
I will get you the tire size tomorrow ,I think my camper came originally with 14 inch wheels . I will get you that size too. You will have to do some trimming around the front wheel openings for rubbing . the only way I can send you pictures is email or text message ,and text is probably best . I did a 3 3/4 front lift and 4 inch back lift .cut 4 inches of main body and 8 inches off the back end .To much other stuff to type .It is still a work in progress but I use it ,actually just got back home from a drive with it . When I get it done I will probably sell it as this seems to be what I like to do .love the challenge of the build and i already have two other projects started .Actually about 8 if you count boats and antique cars .

mobydick 11

OK I figured I better do this now or I mite never get to it .The tire size when new I think based on the spear wheel and tire are Brigestone SF 402 steel 195 R14 LT . the tires that were on it when I purchased it are Cooper Discover A/Tw LT245/75 R16 on aluminum rims . The tires I am running now are BF Goodrich KO2 30x9 50 R 15 LT on steel wheels . Hope this helps ,I think you may have a lot of rubbing with 31 unless you do a major lift .

rideglobally

Adventurer
OK I figured I better do this now or I mite never get to it .The tire size when new I think based on the spear wheel and tire are Brigestone SF 402 steel 195 R14 LT . the tires that were on it when I purchased it are Cooper Discover A/Tw LT245/75 R16 on aluminum rims . The tires I am running now are BF Goodrich KO2 30x9 50 R 15 LT on steel wheels . Hope this helps ,I think you may have a lot of rubbing with 31 unless you do a major lift .

Thank you, I send you a PM

rideglobally

Adventurer
I sent you some pictures ,let me know if you did not get them .

Thank you, yes I got the pictures. What did you use to raise it? I also like the increase angle in the back. What is a good Delica forum? I would like to see more of what other people are doing. I would like to figure out how to install an intercooler on my JB500.

mobydick 11

Thank you, yes I got the pictures. What did you use to raise it? I also like the increase angle in the back. What is a good Delica forum? I would like to see more of what other people are doing. I would like to figure out how to install an intercooler on my JB500.
Well that is the first problem . People sell these campers calling them a Delica , but really they are not .Some parts interchange ,but a lot do not . Get a good parts guy to run your vin . It will come back as an L200 or L300 truck ..The front lift was a combination of spacers under the upper ball joint and coil-over shocks with 500 lb springs . the back was a matter of getting the leaf's and shackles and bushings rebuilt . re arch the spring and add two more leafs to the top of the spring pack . O and taller /bigger wheels and tires .I do not think it would be to hard to add a intercooler ,there is a lot of room in front of the rad . Unless you can figure out how to get more fuel in too ,I am not sure how much more HP you would get . Maybe better mileage though .There was a guy in Toronto Ontario Canada that was supposed to be a Wizard with these motors but I can't remember his name . I think something like Audit

rideglobally

Adventurer
Well that is the first problem . People sell these campers calling them a Delica , but really they are not .Some parts interchange ,but a lot do not . Get a good parts guy to run your vin . It will come back as an L200 or L300 truck ..The front lift was a combination of spacers under the upper ball joint and coil-over shocks with 500 lb springs . the back was a matter of getting the leaf's and shackles and bushings rebuilt . re arch the spring and add two more leafs to the top of the spring pack . O and taller /bigger wheels and tires .I do not think it would be to hard to add a intercooler ,there is a lot of room in front of the rad . Unless you can figure out how to get more fuel in too ,I am not sure how much more HP you would get . Maybe better mileage though .There was a guy in Toronto Ontario Canada that was supposed to be a Wizard with these motors but I can't remember his name . I think something like Audit
Sounds good thx. Do you know when the timing belt or chain need to be replace? Mine has 73,000 KM. Thx

Bill billing

We actually bought ours back in May but figured there's so few of us around, I should add my info here too (pics below). Ours came with a large solar panel on the roof, two house batteries (one of which was a monstrous boat battery of some kind jury rigged under the chassis. Neither of them worked :(). It's a really cool vehicle and gets a good amount of attention wherever we go.

View attachment 547576

Upgrades/changes:
  • removed the old gray 90's wallpaper and finished the underlying wood (Lauan veneered plywood) with about 5 coats of wipe-on poly (really ties the room together ?)
  • new wireless backup camera
  • replaced the 6 gal. tank water heater with a tankless instant water heater
  • replaced the non-working 3-way fridge with a 12v TF65 Truck Fridge
  • removed the (also non-working) rear heater and A/C unit (don't use A/C and the rear heater looked pretty beat). Will add storage there instead and either a Propex heater or Webasto (or similar) diesel heater (haven't decided yet).
  • replacing all plumbing with new PEX water lines
  • new shower head
  • new drinking water faucet
  • will probably install bamboo flooring as well.
Due to an unusually busy summer and the upgrades listed above, we haven't really done much camping in it yet, but it should make a great little camper once things are done! Here are some before/after pics of the interior:

View attachment 547593 View attachment 547594

View attachment 547595 View attachment 547596
Wow NICE job on the updates!! I just won an Isuzu Elf Terra 500 at auction, it has the same VanTech camper layout as your Delica. I was thinking of making the same updates as you but wasn't sure about the old wallpaper and how the wood would look under it, after seeing yours I'm super excited to strip mine as soon as it lands. Are you happy with that fridge and the tankless water heater?

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 53

Torbot

I was thinking of making the same updates as you but wasn't sure about the old wallpaper and how the wood would look under it, after seeing yours I'm super excited to strip mine as soon as it lands. Are you happy with that fridge and the tankless water heater?

Hey Bill, sorry for the loooong delay in getting back to you! I like your Elf (those front lower windows look so cool) and yea, definitely looks like the same interior we have which is interesting since the Elf looks longer than the JB500. I'm very happy with the fridge so far but honestly haven't had much opportunity to use the water heater. In my testing it seems to work really well and it fits in the old space with very minor modifications.

Did you end up stripping your wallpaper? We're still very happy with our results.

-Tor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles