JDM Mitsubishi Delica JB500 camper body on L300 truck chassis build

mobydick 11

We will be getting our 1994 JB500 around end of June then taking it for a drive across America for the summer. Plan to replace the tires with 31" Toyo All Terrain. It is turbo diesel. What other quick modification should I do for a little bit more power and reliability. thx
When I purchased my non turbo 500 it had 16 inch wheels and tires on it . this allowed me to get about 62 mph out of it . I switched to 15 inch wheels and KO2 and now I am running about 58 MPH . Just check the 110 volt as the plugs are different ,including the shore power plug . also the pump for the water system is inside the tank if you have a problem with it . I just added an external pump with pressure switch built in .

rideglobally

Adventurer
When I purchased my non turbo 500 it had 16 inch wheels and tires on it . this allowed me to get about 62 mph out of it . I switched to 15 inch wheels and KO2 and now I am running about 58 MPH . Just check the 110 volt as the plugs are different ,including the shore power plug . also the pump for the water system is inside the tank if you have a problem with it . I just added an external pump with pressure switch built in .
Thanks, What is the overall diameter of your tires? I have a turbo, I plan to run 31" diameter, how do you think those will do?

rideglobally

Adventurer
I really wish one of the owners of a JB 500 or 470 could set up something so the owners could share information and ideas . there may be 6 to 10 jb500 and a few 470 out there .I have been heavily modifying mine and throwing away lots of parts . Every time I do this i just keep thinking ,some one out there may need this and it is very hard or impossible to find . I would have gladly given them to someone in need.
Do you have a thread that shows modifications that you have done?

mobydick 11

Do you have a thread that shows modifications that you have done?
I will get you the tire size tomorrow ,I think my camper came originally with 14 inch wheels . I will get you that size too. You will have to do some trimming around the front wheel openings for rubbing . the only way I can send you pictures is email or text message ,and text is probably best . I did a 3 3/4 front lift and 4 inch back lift .cut 4 inches of main body and 8 inches off the back end .To much other stuff to type .It is still a work in progress but I use it ,actually just got back home from a drive with it . When I get it done I will probably sell it as this seems to be what I like to do .love the challenge of the build and i already have two other projects started .Actually about 8 if you count boats and antique cars .

mobydick 11

OK I figured I better do this now or I mite never get to it .The tire size when new I think based on the spear wheel and tire are Brigestone SF 402 steel 195 R14 LT . the tires that were on it when I purchased it are Cooper Discover A/Tw LT245/75 R16 on aluminum rims . The tires I am running now are BF Goodrich KO2 30x9 50 R 15 LT on steel wheels . Hope this helps ,I think you may have a lot of rubbing with 31 unless you do a major lift .

rideglobally

Adventurer
OK I figured I better do this now or I mite never get to it .The tire size when new I think based on the spear wheel and tire are Brigestone SF 402 steel 195 R14 LT . the tires that were on it when I purchased it are Cooper Discover A/Tw LT245/75 R16 on aluminum rims . The tires I am running now are BF Goodrich KO2 30x9 50 R 15 LT on steel wheels . Hope this helps ,I think you may have a lot of rubbing with 31 unless you do a major lift .
Thank you, I send you a PM

Recommended books for Overlanding

rideglobally

Adventurer
I sent you some pictures ,let me know if you did not get them .
Thank you, yes I got the pictures. What did you use to raise it? I also like the increase angle in the back. What is a good Delica forum? I would like to see more of what other people are doing. I would like to figure out how to install an intercooler on my JB500.

mobydick 11

Thank you, yes I got the pictures. What did you use to raise it? I also like the increase angle in the back. What is a good Delica forum? I would like to see more of what other people are doing. I would like to figure out how to install an intercooler on my JB500.
Well that is the first problem . People sell these campers calling them a Delica , but really they are not .Some parts interchange ,but a lot do not . Get a good parts guy to run your vin . It will come back as an L200 or L300 truck ..The front lift was a combination of spacers under the upper ball joint and coil-over shocks with 500 lb springs . the back was a matter of getting the leaf's and shackles and bushings rebuilt . re arch the spring and add two more leafs to the top of the spring pack . O and taller /bigger wheels and tires .I do not think it would be to hard to add a intercooler ,there is a lot of room in front of the rad . Unless you can figure out how to get more fuel in too ,I am not sure how much more HP you would get . Maybe better mileage though .There was a guy in Toronto Ontario Canada that was supposed to be a Wizard with these motors but I can't remember his name . I think something like Audit

rideglobally

Adventurer
Well that is the first problem . People sell these campers calling them a Delica , but really they are not .Some parts interchange ,but a lot do not . Get a good parts guy to run your vin . It will come back as an L200 or L300 truck ..The front lift was a combination of spacers under the upper ball joint and coil-over shocks with 500 lb springs . the back was a matter of getting the leaf's and shackles and bushings rebuilt . re arch the spring and add two more leafs to the top of the spring pack . O and taller /bigger wheels and tires .I do not think it would be to hard to add a intercooler ,there is a lot of room in front of the rad . Unless you can figure out how to get more fuel in too ,I am not sure how much more HP you would get . Maybe better mileage though .There was a guy in Toronto Ontario Canada that was supposed to be a Wizard with these motors but I can't remember his name . I think something like Audit
Sounds good thx. Do you know when the timing belt or chain need to be replace? Mine has 73,000 KM. Thx