JDM Ex firetruck as overlander?

Rebel_way88

Hi Guys! Hope you are doing fine!

So I came across this article:
And I got very excited about building myself family overlander.
Here in Canada we don't have many options for double cab 4x4 and I figured I have to look into JDM
From what I can see my best choice will be ex firetruck. Low kms and not overpriced in general...the question is why they go for so cheap compared to civil trucks of the same kind.
Im not sure what truck will be best base truck for my purpose, my knowledge on the topic is very limited.

I have seen some ex fire trucks online that are double cab ( with like high cab, more headroom), 4WD. They were Toyota Dyna, Isuzu ELF, Nisan Atlas, Mitsubishi Canter. From these 4 which one will be more desired? And if we come down to specific model, what year, engine, chassis?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I am not sure if it is the same globally, but here in Australia the Isuzu and Fuso 4x4 light trucks are used extensively for our Rural Fire Service (RFS). Previously I have been told that Australia has 80% of the market in these 4x4 trucks.

The standard operation procedure is to NEVER turn the truck off when fighting a fire. The logic being that you may have to bug out very quickly, so you can't risk having any starting issues.
That and the fact the truck needs to be running to pump water.

To that end, the kilometres/miles shown on the odometer is not a good indication of how hard or long the engine has run. The engine will have been running much longer and lots of time under no load.
Diesels are not usually prone to the same issues as petrol engines while idling, but it is something that should not be overlooked when considering an ex fire truck.

As to which brand of truck is best... well that is a very debatable subject, so I will not go down that rabbit hole. :)

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Be VERY AWARE to what model JDM 'Canter' you are looking at/buying as

THIS
canter1.jpg

DOES NOT EQUAL THIS
canter2.jpg

Both are 'Canters' but many of the JDM models are the much smaller/slower models.

Rebel_way88

The standard operation procedure is to NEVER turn the truck off when fighting a fire. The logic being that you may have to bug out very quickly, so you can't risk having any starting issues.
That and the fact the truck needs to be running to pump water.

Thank you for your reply. Yeh, I figured running hours have to be considered as well, but go figure how many hours it really has.

Rebel_way88

Be VERY AWARE to what model JDM 'Canter' you are looking at/buying as

THIS
View attachment 696219

DOES NOT EQUAL THIS
View attachment 696220

Both are 'Canters' but many of the JDM models are the much smaller/slower models.

This is exactly what Im trying to figure out. What JDM canter I have to look for to buy a proper one for my purpose.
I wonder if the one on the top has straight axel at all. The one on the bottom is the one I really want to get.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
One to me looks like 2WD ,possibly narrow Cab, a lot earlier model and the other 4WD, wide Cab, latter model . So your answer is which one do you want.

Dan.

Rebel_way88

One to me looks like 2WD ,possibly narrow Cab, a lot earlier model and the other 4WD, wide Cab, latter model . So your answer is which one do you want.

Dan.
Of Corse I want wider cab, but wont be able to afford.

There is a good one
but it is in Russia!...well? it is time to visit the Fatherland!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles