JCliftonB's Full-Size Overland/Adventure Build

JCliftonB

I just purchased a single-owner, well-maintained, low-mileage 2012 F-250 with the 6.2 gas motor. The carfax is a mile long with maintenance from the dealership, but I like to button up as much as I possibly can on a vehicle before I take it on a really long trip. I'm planning on traveling from Alabama to Banff this summer for about 6 weeks and this is the rig that's getting me there.

With that said, I am very green to the Super Duty platform and would like some advice on what to look out for with the chassis such as suspension, stabilizers, etc. The underside of this thing is massive and very new to me. What should I put my hands on and shake and feel? Basic motor maintenance I understand and can handle all of that.

The truck is geared with 3.73 gears which are fine really as I'm not towing anything and plan to stay well within my GVWR.

I plan to get tires (33-35"), a front winch, potentially a bumper, and a FWC for the camping. It will be a modest build but the goal is to have a rig to take us places. No hardcore wheeling or extreme remote travel.

TLDR: What do I need to know about this new-to-me-rig?

IMG_4388.JPG

This will be my second long-term build. My first was a full off-grid van with an interior similar to a beach house (wife's rule). Here are a couple of pictures of that build:

DSCF8517copy.jpg
VanLife_Finals_0001-6 copy.jpg
VanLife_Finals_0022 copy.jpg

Last edited:

carleton

Following...I'm curious too.

I do know that even with an F250, if you check every box it is possible to max out/exceed your payload limit with a FWC.
Having the 6.2 gives you more payload than the diesel (?), but weight is still a consideration if you do wheels, bumpers, winch, AND a FWC

JCliftonB

Following...I'm curious too.

I do know that even with an F250, if you check every box it is possible to max out/exceed your payload limit with a FWC.
Having the 6.2 gives you more payload than the diesel (?), but weight is still a consideration if you do wheels, bumpers, winch, AND a FWC

Yes, indeed you can. I'll likely try and find a fairly base-model Hawk and will add rear springs if needed to assist with that weight, but staying below my GVWR is a priority.

REF

Nice truck, other than routine maintenance and taking a look at all the fluids to top off, flush or change, including coolant, oil, front/rear diff, transmission and brake.
Have a shop take a look at any wear parts and replace or upgrade as needed-
Brakes
Shocks
UJoints
Ball joints
Tie rod bushings
Track bar bushings

To handle the extra load of the camper and keep things level you might want to consider some suspension upgrades before you just replace, add some rear air bags and consider upgrading to better shocks all the way around. Take a look at Carli suspension, they put together some nice kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCliftonB

Nice truck, other than routine maintenance and taking a look at all the fluids to top off, flush or change, including coolant, oil, front/rear diff, transmission and brake.
Have a shop take a look at any wear parts and replace or upgrade as needed-
Brakes
Shocks
UJoints
Ball joints
Tie rod bushings
Track bar bushings

To handle the extra load of the camper and keep things level you might want to consider some suspension upgrades before you just replace, add some rear air bags and consider upgrading to better shocks all the way around. Take a look at Carli suspension, they put together some nice kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! That's actually very helpful! I didn't know what a track bar was before owning this rig.

tacollie

Glamper
Payload on that truck should be close to 3k lbs. You can bring a lot of stuff and a loaded FWC.

Does it have the camper prep?

Wheels bearing, brakes, axles, and tanny are shared with the srw F350. Check the steering linkage. If it develops play it can make things exciting. As long as the fluids are fresh you should be good to go.

NoDak

Have the front hub unit bearings checked. They are technically non serviceable but some people grease them through the abs sensor hole. Possibly consider the Dynatrac Free-Spin conversion if you are going to be adding bumpers, winches, slide-in camper.

Swap a set of same year range F350 rear blocks in to compensate for the FWC, Bilstien 5100's and slap on some 285/75/17's and send it.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Im running the dynatrac freespin kit on my 2011 Superduty
I feel it is money well spent. I dont anticipating doing bearings on this truck ever again.

As far as inspections and parts, the only really picky items on these trucks are steering components. Primarily due to the front suspension and how susceptible it is to death wobble. So for tie rods and ends, I suggest OEM for all of it. And make certain ball joints are tight and good. I go OEM for these as well, but you should be fine with a good aftermarket joint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles