JCliftonB's Full-Size Overland/Adventure Build

JCliftonB

I also finally bought this really useful tool after my arm got tired of raising and lowering the camper with the standard wrench!

IMG_0076.gif

JCliftonB

Spent a couple of hours rewiring the camper to be lithium-ready for when my battery arrives tomorrow. I removed the old AGM charger/converter and wired in this Victron charger that has built-in Bluetooth to allow me to fine-tune the charging parameters.

It was not easy, as the fit is very tight in this cabinetry, but I am happy in the end with the result.

IMG_0079.JPG

JCliftonB

The F-250 got new shoes this weekend! 35" Falken Wildpeak AT's. I have been a BFG guy for a good 20 years on my trucks but figured I'd give these a shot this time around.

I only went 35" for two reasons: my wife is short and already has to climb in the truck with OEM 33" tires, and with 3.73 gearing, I didn't want to make the big truck any slower and affect MPG's more. Trade-offs indeed, but these will do nicely for the type of adventure we tend to go on!

IMG_0086.JPG

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Yep! I too like the height without the width. They fill the arches nicely and aren't such a detriment to highway characteristics. I guess these would be considered "pizza cutters" in the 3/4-ton world. ?

Yeah pretty close! I've akways run 235 85s on my xterras and will eventually do 255 80s on my Bronco

JCliftonB

Battery came in yesterday and its all wired up and is ready for action now!

IMG_0082.JPG

I also recently found out that you need a special key to drop the spare tire on these trucks and mine did not come with one! Great! Although, I am glad I found this out before needing a spare!

I called McGard and they ordered me a new one with a picture of the female insert. I'll be able to drop the spare, get the new tire installed on it and install the airbags as soon as I have that done!

IMG_0080.JPG

JCliftonB

Called McGard and they sent me a new key to get the spare down! That allowed me to get the full-size spare put on and ready to go! Woohoo!

IMG_0107 copy.jpg

After that, I spent a couple of days installing the AirLift kit on the F-250. I ran into some issues being that my truck has a BW turnover hitch installed in the bed. That meant I needed to remove the side plates to allow me to access the frame where the airbag mounts mount to the frame. I went to everyone's favorite hardware store for quality tools, Harbor Freight (lol), and got some big, big sockets to allow me to remove some big, big bolts.

It took me a couple of days of work doing it all alone, but I got it in and they work great. Another set of hands would have made the job a bit quicker. I am confident they will level the truck when the camper is loaded and soaking wet in the truck!

IMG_0118 2 copy.jpg

IMG_0120 copy.jpg

IMG_0119.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz