JCliftonB's Full-Size Overland/Adventure Build

JCliftonB

Likely an idler pulley bearing, or simply an old/dry belt.

Yeah, that is my thought as well. I am going to replace the idler pulley and belt next week as I'm sure it is due anyways. Could be the tensioner too and I may go ahead and replace that too while I have the belt off. Will report back with the results.

Next week is going to be a lot of wrenching between these things and the cab mounts!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yeah, I certainly do not envy you and your cab mount job. No fun!

As far as the idler goes, its often FAR cheaper to source the correct bearing and swap it out instead of the entire idler.
Just takes a bit more time, and hassle to source the correct bearing.

JCliftonB

Tried my hand at the cab mount swap yesterday. Could barely get one bolt to move a few millimeters after heating it to soften the Loctite.

So I made an appointment at my local heavy-duty shop to have them do it. ?

David_h

I think bags are my best option as the camper won't be on the truck 24/7 and will be an around-town vehicle when we are home.

I used Firestone Ride-Rite air bags on my 2008 Superduty and was very happy with them. Even with the air bag, the 2008 stock leaf pack sagged too much and I had to add couple of leafs to gain an inch height. 2008 was the first year with longer springs so hopefully your year has improved springs. Years earlier I had Air Lift brand air bags on an F150 and they were fine although I lost an air line connection on rough road once. Since I have the camper on the Superduty full-time I ditched the helpers and went with custom rear leaf packs from local spring shop and wish I had done this at the beginning.

JCliftonB

I used Firestone Ride-Rite air bags on my 2008 Superduty and was very happy with them. Even with the air bag, the 2008 stock leaf pack sagged too much and I had to add couple of leafs to gain an inch height. 2008 was the first year with longer springs so hopefully your year has improved springs. Years earlier I had Air Lift brand air bags on an F150 and they were fine although I lost an air line connection on rough road once. Since I have the camper on the Superduty full-time I ditched the helpers and went with custom rear leaf packs from local spring shop and wish I had done this at the beginning.

I'm leaning toward the Airlift kit as of now. I picked up my FWC yesterday and the truck doesn't sag that much with no help so I imagine a set of airbags will be adequate for my needs. I guess the 3rd gen Super Duty's got some beefier kit?

The camper is coming off today and being put in the garage while I get my suspension, tires/wheels, and some more maintenance finished up.

Another new question is how I go about mounting the FWC to the bed... To get it home I just used a few straps and two 10,000lb ratchets up front. The camper is a new 2016 Hawk that the previous owner never camped in or installed. I was given all of the OEM mounting hardware, but still unsure how you get to the front turnbuckles to tighten them. I am not seeing an access hatch like the rears have.

IMG_0031.JPG

ExpoMike

You should have 4 inside hatch areas to put the turnbuckles in through, so you can tighten them. I know my old Grandby, one of them was access under the bench.

JCliftonB

You should have 4 inside hatch areas to put the turnbuckles in through, so you can tighten them. I know my old Grandby, one of them was access under the bench.

I just found that hatch with your tip! Thats great news! Got the camper off the truck and tucked in the garage and was able to locate the hatch!

IMG_0037.JPG

JCliftonB

Quick story about my new FWC Hawk:

I have been pining for a FWC for years now. While living in the van, I longed for the off-road prowess of a truck and the comfort and quality of a FWC for a truck camper. Fast forward a few years and my wife and I decide that we want to make a major trip this year! So, I sold my toy (a mint E91 BMW Wagon) and bought a big dirty truck ie: 2012 F-250.

Now that I had the truck the search for the camper started and I found one at the top of Kentucky from a gentleman who bought it new in 2016 for a build but never got around to using the camper. It sat in his garage for 7 years and he decided to list it. I found it on another forum I am on and called the owner and put a deposit on it sight unseen. Drive 7 hours to get it on Tuesday and back on Wednesday. Now, as the above image shows, it is safely nestled in my garage.

JCliftonB

Got the new charger in this morning. The battery will get here tomorrow and then the interior will be done and ready for the first test trip!

IMG_0073.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior