JBD SMART BMS Upgrade for my DIY 105AH Lifepo4 pack.

BorealOverland

Last year i build myself a 105AH Lifepo4 battery pack.
It has been working great so far, but lately i have noticed 1 cell is drifting a bit from the rest near the end of the cycle. I have been using a cheap Daly BMS, that would trigger the Victron BP if voltage drops to low and have a cell monitor just to keep a eye on things.

The old Daly BMS:
BorealOverlandIMG_8323.jpg

As someone suggested earlier there are far better BMS options out there.
I upgraded the pack with a JBD Smart 120A 4S BMS with optional Bluetooth module,
so i can have a bit more control over the cells and keep things balanced more if needed.
Its the same as Overkill Solar sells but with a different sticker on it.
Being from Europe myself i ordered one from Aliexpress, i could not justify almost double the cost but i do understand people rather support great warranty and service from a small business.

I took the complete box apart and slowly top balanced the cells again just to make sure all is good.
Lucky me i have some height left above the cells so i could place the BMS between the cells and the top plate with all the wires and Victron goodies.

The new BMS beast!:
BorealOverlandIMG_8324.jpg

I hooked up my 1500W inverter and did discharge cycles at 45-50Amps for over 2hours continues per cycle,
even 110Amps for a cycle but the BMS and wires never got hot.. a bit warm yes of course.
BorealOverlandIMG_8327.jpg

I have been playing around with the IOS APP and all the settings..
After a couple full cycles up and down all seem to work great and i got it close to the percentage reading
from my shunt and battery monitor.

BorealOverlandIMG_8337.jpg

I could delete the shunt, Victron BP, relais for the 120A Anderson, monitor and so on,
make a more simple system.. but the BMS should be a last ditch safety measure.
Since i already have everything in place now, i just go with that and leave it the way i build it.
I might build a new 3.0 version one day, with a 280AH pack just for the fun of building.

Thats all for now..
Cheers,

Steve.

Original build:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior