Java's Mini Trailer

java

Expedition Leader
Well I went back and forth on buying a HF trailer or building my own. I Happened into enough steel to do the frame so Im going that route!

Im aiming for a small light trailer, just enough to carry the extra stuff that doesn't fit in the truck.

Ordered the axle. I wanted a 64" hub face, but couldn't find one built and didn't want to wait 4 weeks, so I got a 63". I got 500lb capacity 29" springs, the trailer parts guy thought I was crazy ordering a 3500lb axle with long soft springs. Im waiting on the axle, to get frame dimensions. I am aiming for about 48x48. it will be made from 2x2 .120

mock up:

w/ 48" tongue

Tongue reciever, ready to be welded on.

Made some water resistant SMD30 lights for under the frame area lighting.
Bare chip:

A little epoxy

and done!

Ill see how they work. I had them left over from another project and thought it would be a good use.

java

Expedition Leader
Brown Santa just showed up at work! Got the axle from ABC trailer parts, ordered it friday. Fast and cheap!

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys, Im excited too.

Made some progress last night.

Springs mocked up. They are nice and soft. I can compress them a fair bit standing on them

Wheels mocked up

Spring hangers ground off to move in.

Terrible picture, but thats all the frame parts cut.

And the carbide cold cutting ferrous blade is AWESOME! So much better than the fiber ones.

java

Expedition Leader
Dragged it home yesterday. Along with the welder and chop saw and porta band from work. I made off like a bandit with all the nice tools! We got a new welder, miller 211, Super nice, and is multi voltage, so you just swap the plug and its 120. Worked great in my garage!

It got some serious air on the way home. Really light...

In the garage.... Space is tight. Uprights for the sides tacked. Tongue finished.

And done... All the smoke was messing with my camera.

java

Expedition Leader
got most of the welding done on the frame yesterday. Finished the fender supports, and welded 10 million tabs on to hold the plywood panels im going to use as sides.
Untitled by Java_230, on Flickr

tabs for the tail lights and fender supports.

4 tabs on each panel to hold the plywood sides. I have a couple sheets of prefinished Birch i will use.

very sick of tabs...

Wiring chase down the tongue.

Done for the night. Tail gate and lid are left to do, then Im done with the welding.

java

Expedition Leader
More progress last night.
Lid.
Untitled

Barrel hinges. Work great and are CHEAP. $3 a piece.
Untitled

It opens! Gotta figure out gas struts now..... Anyone have any good calculator thingies for them? Or is it just take a guess...
Untitled

Painted the ply for the sides. Its prefinished birch. Thats a quart of oil based paint on one side of a 4x8 sheet :)
Untitled

It will stay Natural on the inside.
Untitled

Everything got a second coat of POR15
Untitled

java

Expedition Leader
OK I can see the light. Other than needing a few parts I cant afford right now. God damn taxes.

Anyway. Got two final coats of rattle can on it. The POR15 is not UV stable so it needs a topcoat. It gets dusty and turn purple over time. Does Not actually effect the protection just doesnt look nice. Fired up the pellet stove in the garage and got it nice and warm and went to town!
13895841565_5c2c2e6314_c.jpg

Fenders mocked up. I chose to bolt them on with more tabs :) simply so I can paint them separately. I have some bed liner I may roll on the inside of them
13896274944_2fda347e25_c.jpg

Painted
13896120084_6eba5bb5b5_c.jpg

13895900713_667bccd6bd_c.jpg

Wiring has begun.
13895814965_4c3b25da83_c.jpg

A little sheathing makes it look so much better!
13895801235_ee8a2f5015_c.jpg

At the tail lights too.
13895788475_aa21aaa4bb_c.jpg

Wires run inside the frame rail except where it has to go under cross members.
13895772795_1fc4256faa_c.jpg

Both sides done.
13895745425_491e90e5e8_c.jpg

How about some really exciting safety chains?!
13896151954_19fe48bca8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94