James Baroud tent failure?

dcoy

Adventurer
Oh it's a premium product alright. And in no way did they "drop the ball" on this one. Claiming or insinuating otherwise is simply misinformation. Schutt Industries certainly would not co-brand with them if they were anything but world-class. James Baroud tents are in fact the very best product of their type hands down. That said, no one is perfect 100% of the time. And there is always 2 sides to every story.

In todays wired age, it is not in the best interests of any product manufacturer or distributor to try and stand their ground when a warranty claim is not warranted. Offering a no-questions-asked warranty will always win over customers. And the preverbal deck is completely stacked in favor of the customer anyway. No customer wants to hear that their claim has been denied. And it's usually the case when these things happen that slander is the natural reflex reaction as a means to get even, which is so very easy to get away on the internet. Rude language, threats, rants, outright sander. It's very unfair. Be that as it may, life's unfair sometimes.

I've been denied warranty claims over the years from Apple to GoPro to Canon. And I didn't like it one little bit. But that didn't mean I switched over to a Windows platform or went to Sony action cams or flipped to Nikon. And I certainly did not go out and start defaming those companies publicly because of the actions they took. But hey, thats just me.

Don't think I'm claiming or insinuating anything. I'm just a potential consumer who's trying to evaluate the information at hand. I believe that is the purpose of this forum; to disseminate information about different topics and products that may or may not be somewhat controversial. You do seem to be insinuating, yourself, that the claim made by the OP is either invalid due to misuse of the product or fraudulent in some way. The OP has a fair amount of internet cred on this and other forums so I would be reluctant to virtually label him a troll, or to say he's having a cyber-tantrum because he didn't get his way. I also do not see where the "rude language, threats, rants, outright slander" statement comes from unless you're trying to get this thread shut down.

XVENTURE TRAILERS

Supporting Sponsor - XVENTURE Trailers
Don't think I'm claiming or insinuating anything. I'm just a potential consumer who's trying to evaluate the information at hand. I believe that is the purpose of this forum; to disseminate information about different topics and products that may or may not be somewhat controversial. You do seem to be insinuating, yourself, that the claim made by the OP is either invalid due to misuse of the product or fraudulent in some way. The OP has a fair amount of internet cred on this and other forums so I would be reluctant to virtually label him a troll, or to say he's having a cyber-tantrum because he didn't get his way. I also do not see where the "rude language, threats, rants, outright slander" statement comes from unless you're trying to get this thread shut down.

Label him a Troll? I believe you are misunderstanding me. My intent here is nothing like you are painting it. Chill out before you pop a vein man. Just talking about the nature of things on the net. I am in full support of the customer and want to do every thing possible to see this resolved in the customers favor.

Last edited:

theron

Oh it's a premium product alright. And in no way did they "drop the ball" on this one. Claiming or insinuating otherwise is simply misinformation. Schutt Industries certainly would not co-brand with them if they were anything but world-class. James Baroud tents are in fact the very best product of their type hands down. That said, no one is perfect 100% of the time. And there is always 2 sides to every story.

In todays wired age, it is not in the best interests of any product manufacturer or distributor to try and stand their ground when a warranty claim is not warranted. Offering a no-questions-asked warranty will always win over customers. And the preverbal deck is completely stacked in favor of the customer anyway. No customer wants to hear that their claim has been denied. And it's usually the case when these things happen that slander is the natural reflex reaction as a means to get even, which is so very easy to get away on the internet. Rude language, threats, rants, outright sander. It's very unfair. Be that as it may, life's unfair sometimes.

I've been denied warranty claims over the years from Apple to GoPro to Canon. And I didn't like it one little bit. But that didn't mean I switched over to a Windows platform or went to Sony action cams or flipped to Nikon. And I certainly did not go out and start defaming those companies publicly because of the actions they took. But hey, thats just me.

I haven't posted any "rude language, threats, rants or outright slander" so I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to? I've only posted facts in a fair and honest way. I have a tent that has failed under normal use and there is a company that denied that claim and wasn't interested in researching it more. They simply said that they would not cover the repair of my tent under warranty and now I'm here posting about it....that's the whole point of forums and the internet. I'm sharing my experience. James Baroud USA wrote this story right.

I'm not sure what I'm missing here brotha? I've posted images on the inside and outside. James Baroud has had lots of opportunities to stand behind their product but they didn't take care of me.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
In an attempt to get the thread back on track and make the situation clear,

Theron contacted us regarding cracks that he believes to be a defect and warranty issue. Upon receiving this information we asked for pictures of the problem so that we could begin inspecting the situation and what the next step of this issue will be. With no other issues of tents cracking the way this tent was showing, we contacted James Baroud professionals in Portugal (not South America) who also have not witnessed any similar issues. Because of the situation, we asked for the tent to be inspected by any of our dealers or to be returned to ourselves to assess the damage. This we feel is a common warranty procedure and was not in distrust to the customer, but to provide accurate warranty resolution and critical feedback to the manufacturer if a problem arises.

To resolve this issue, before even the creation of this thread we have offered to pay all freight costs to return the tent to ourselves for inspection and the replacement to you if the issue is under warranty. We think that this is upholding our warranty and providing the highest level of customer service we are known for.

From assisting you with your purchase, personally helping you install your tent on your FJ60 and frequently watching your adventures on Instagram, I can undoubtedly assure that myself and my coworkers want to help you any way we can. Your understanding of our efforts and what steps we are taking to resolve your issue would be appreciated. Overall our goal is to not only provide outstanding products, but also the same level of customer support.

I look forward to further assisting you with this issue and getting you back on the trails as soon as possible.

-Rin

theron

In an attempt to get the thread back on track and make the situation clear,

Theron contacted us regarding cracks that he believes to be a defect and warranty issue. Upon receiving this information we asked for pictures of the problem so that we could begin inspecting the situation and what the next step of this issue will be. With no other issues of tents cracking the way this tent was showing, we contacted James Baroud professionals in Portugal (not South America) who also have not witnessed any similar issues. Because of the situation, we asked for the tent to be inspected by any of our dealers or to be returned to ourselves to assess the damage. This we feel is a common warranty procedure and was not in distrust to the customer, but to provide accurate warranty resolution and critical feedback to the manufacturer if a problem arises.

To resolve this issue, before even the creation of this thread we have offered to pay all freight costs to return the tent to ourselves for inspection and the replacement to you if the issue is under warranty. We think that this is upholding our warranty and providing the highest level of customer service we are known for.

From assisting you with your purchase, personally helping you install your tent on your FJ60 and frequently watching your adventures on Instagram, I can undoubtedly assure that myself and my coworkers want to help you any way we can. Your understanding of our efforts and what steps we are taking to resolve your issue would be appreciated. Overall our goal is to not only provide outstanding products, but also the same level of customer support.

I look forward to further assisting you with this issue and getting you back on the trails as soon as possible.

-Rin

Right on, glad to hear from y'all on the forum, I'm sure only good things will come from all this.

But what's still most disappointing is y'alls first response was a flat out and simple denial of my warranty claim. It wasn't one of wanting to research it more or see more photos or even have me take it to a dealer, I think that was a huge missed opportunity to build trust and a relationship and good customer service.

Your offer to pay for freight was also under the statement that if you decide to deny my warranty claim after seeing it in person then I'll be responsible for freight, which puts a heavy tone on everything. That cost isn't something not to bat an eye at ya know. It's sort of a dangling carrot, a risk, but nonetheless I am confident with the evidence I've given it's clear this is a product failure.

I came here to share my experience and only after way way way too much back and forth did James Baroud USA finally chose to step up and consider taking care of me.

I have no doubt that going forward y'all will respond to issues with a lot more grace and that is gonna be good for everyone. Thanks y'all!

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Right on, glad to hear from y'all on the forum, I'm sure only good things will come from all this.

But what's still most disappointing is y'alls first response was a flat out and simple denial of my warranty claim. It wasn't one of wanting to research it more or see more photos or even have me take it to a dealer, I think that was a huge missed opportunity to build trust and a relationship and good customer service.

Your offer to pay for freight was also under the statement that if you decide to deny my warranty claim after seeing it in person then I'll be responsible for freight, which puts a heavy tone on everything. That cost isn't something not to bat an eye at ya know. It's sort of a dangling carrot, a risk, but nonetheless I am confident with the evidence I've given it's clear this is a product failure.

I came here to share my experience and only after way way way too much back and forth did James Baroud USA finally chose to step up and consider taking care of me.

I have no doubt that going forward y'all will respond to issues with a lot more grace and that is gonna be good for everyone. Thanks y'all!

I'm happy that I can lend a hand on here and welcome to the community, I think you will like it on here!

I'm sorry that you feel that our initial response was a denial of your warranty claim and we feel that that was not the message we had provided you. We were provided with photos and from those we were not able to make a clear decision on if this case was a warranty issue. Because of this we requested you to either bring the tent to a dealer or arrange shipping to ourselves at James Baroud USA.

We are all to aware of the expensive freight costs involved with a product of this size and that is why we will pay all of the freight if the product is a warranty issue. However we cannot justify covering such costs if the manufacturer was not at fault or the issue is not that of a defect. We hope that you feel this is fair and just and that we are upholding our warranty to the highest standard.

Thank you and we look forward to servicing you and finding a solution to your issue.

-Rin

greenbull

Adventurer
As an owner of the Grand Raid XL, since last April, and having traveled across country from Charlotte to EXPO West in Flagstaff, and back by way of Moab, Denver and many nights in between, I wanted to state that our tent has performed flawlessly. The only item we have had to get replaced was the small spring you see in the locking latches, that can go flying out. Otherwise no problem. I am 6 ft 3 in and 240 lbs and no issues with the ladder. My wife loves the tent.

greg.potter

Adventurer
We have had an Evasion for about a year and have been very impressed with it. Chose it over a Maggiolini after having owned a CVT Mt St Helens which CVT has discontinued due to unresolvable QC problems with their manufacturer in China.

bat

Explorer
The OP has opened and closed this thing for 6 months sometimes twice a day, I would say usage is way above average for the time frame . If you look at the closing procedure to me it looks like the only way to not put stress on the area to be is pushing from the middle of the tent not the side like in the picture. Could this have caused the problem with so much usage in such a short time maybe should it be looked at by a rep absolutely.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The OP has opened and closed this thing for 6 months sometimes twice a day, I would say usage is way above average for the time frame . If you look at the closing procedure to me it looks like the only way to not put stress on the area to be is pushing from the middle of the tent not the side like in the picture. Could this have caused the problem with so much usage in such a short time maybe should it be looked at by a rep absolutely.

I don't think the usage is beyond what we should expect as a group of travelers. Many people are on vehicle based expeditions that last years, their only bed is their roof top tent. This should be considered the norm rather than the exception when building product. It will be interesting to read about the analysis of the damage.

XVENTURE TRAILERS

Supporting Sponsor - XVENTURE Trailers
I don't think the usage is beyond what we should expect as a group of travelers. Many people are on vehicle based expeditions that last years, their only bed is their roof top tent. This should be considered the norm rather than the exception when building product. It will be interesting to read about the analysis of the damage.

+1

This case is a complete anomaly.

Last edited:

bat

Explorer
I don't think the usage is beyond what we should expect
I agree his usage should not have anything to do with the failure that was my point just not expressed correctly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles