James Baroud Evasion EVO Review

Dusty Grin

Observer
What a great write-up, thanks. I've always liked those old troopers with those clean, boxy lines.

One thing I noticed was the light that comes through the fabric on your RTT. Does it wake you up in the morning? My Maggiolina fabric lets little to no light in and I can hardly tell what time of day it is.

That being said, your mattress sounds way more comfortable than mine. And the opening and closing system seems more simple than the crank system I have, although I have had zero troubles with mine.

Great job.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Hey thanks. Typically, I try to camp in the shade, and I am not one to sleep in much past 9am at the latest when I am out and about. You do get some "glow" if you will, through the tent fabric but it's not much different than a normal ground tent. And that's nothing a eye mask for sleeping can't fix if you really want to sleep in the daylight. The next test will be rainy weather. We are taking a road trip to the PNW and plan to do some camping along the way, including coastal camping. I am curious to see how it holds up to wetness and moisture inside. Even in the high and dry Nevada desert, there was condensation in the morning under the mattress, but it dried up pretty quick. I would imagine this will be different in a more humid climate. The nice thing is, when you get back to your home base, you can completely remove everything from the tent, including the mattress, and you are left with just the fiberglass shell, which can easily be cleaned out completely. So far I am really liking it, save for the broken ladder hook.

So your Maggiolina has a crank handle and no air pistons? I know from working on hatchback cars that gas struts do wear out over time. I hope these last a good long while.

Bart

Dusty Grin

Observer
Yes, you insert a crank into a hole in the side. Just unlatch 3 latches and crank it up (about 50 turns). I've heard only a couple complaints of failures (online anyway). Seems to be a durable system considering the decades of production.

I've camped off logging and forestry roads up and down our coast so pm me if you want and I can point you to a "secret" spot or two.

FYI I just today removed my fancy homemade drawer system because of weight concerns. The cruiser handles so much better and pulls hills nicely now. I'm switching to plastic bins strapped down when needed for gear. I'm keeping the fridge slide though.

I mention this because I know you're up against a low hp engine and weight will getcha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior