James Baroud discontinued?

They should if that's the agreement reached between the involved parties.
There are frequently very specific terms made between manufacturers and retailers.
If they make an agreement, both sides should honor the terms; nothing more to it than that.
Exactly.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
It has been months and not going to get into this again, post #26 & #27 explain our position and the nature of the situation.

shade

If both companies would be willing to enter into a formal mediation process, some good may come of that.

jadmt

ignore button user
Seems like the logical thing would have been for Baroud to buy back their product from OK4wd.

Dozer Dan

Observer
There have been several threads on here and other forums about _issues_ with JB tents. I myself are having issues with my tent I'm waiting to get resolved. I obviously don't have any numbers as I'm not a reseller of any sorts but from what AdventureReady is saying we must be a right bunch of keyboard warriors buying JB stuff when the failure rate is so incredibly low compared to other brands but the issues seem to be over represented on the forums.

What I'm curious about then is howcome JB reduced the 5 year warranty to only 2 years for the problematic parts. And not only that but demanding any issues to be resolved by court in their home town of Porto.
https://www.jamesbaroud.com/en/http-www-jamesbaroud-com-2/
5 Years Warranty: It includes the fiberglass, the mechanism, the canvas, the lift supports, the ladder and its fixings, the zippers, the mosquito net, the mattress, the rail and fixings, the upholstery of the upper shell.

2 Years Warranty: It includes the gel-coat, the color, the extractor, the flashlight, the tent locks.

In case of request of warranty support, the invoice will be requested, and photos or a video about the problem should be sent by wetransfer to infos@jamesbaroud.com.

When the tent needs to return to the factory, it must be packaged on the original packaging.

In the case of litigation or contestation the court of Porto, Portugal have jurisdiction.

The rhetoric from JB seems to be that the fan and latches etc we didn't actually make so we're not going to stand over them. (All we build is great!)
These things are not user replaceable either, you can't buy another fan of Amazon so if you find yourself with issues you are potentially completely screwed.
Considering the investment I think we all expect these things to last more than 2 years.

I want to point out that the above link is from JB themselves, not from a reseller.

This spat between JB and other people is straight up embarrassing. I saw that a 'JB owners page' on FB was nuked at around the same time as this all happened as well. Again, pages and pages of people with issues with their tents. I don't think a lot of people care about this spat any more but I will tell you what we do care about. What about the future of JB and our tents? These tents very clearly have serious issues or JB would have not needed to very publicly lower the warranty from 5 to 2 years.

I have friends currently in the market for tents and I keep telling them not to buy a JB because you don't know what's going to happen.

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
When the tent needs to return to the factory, it must be packaged on the original packaging. Keep those boxes guys so when you return your broken tent you'll have something to put it on!

In the case of litigation or contestation the court of Porto, Portugal have jurisdiction. Think of the Frequent Flyer Miles you'll earn!

In the context of all this drama, 90% of the AR says is utter BS. It's not even worth replying to anymore; he's taking the "if I repeat a lie enough times, people will believe it" approach. Heavily biased, intentionally misleading crap meant to drive their own sales of these products. A few years back he used to praise AluCab products like they were the second coming (he sure as hell did to me, in person), now they no longer sell that brand and never miss an opportunity to crap all over it. That should tell potential buyers all they need to know. Typical salesmen - you can't trust a word of what they say.

The worst part is these are all very, very well-known problems that JB ignores, while continuing to sell this low-quality junk at premium prices. (I went through all that and more not too far back: https://overlandtested.com/gear/james-baroud-tent-problems.) Same reason they cut their warranty on these parts - they just don't believe in their quality, and are not willing to stand behind their whole product.
Warranty has never actually changed. Feel free to reach out again. It has literally been the same for 6 years.

Wait, are you the person who decided they wanted an Alu-Cab tent instead of a James Baroud when you had warranty issues? Even though James Baroud replaced your tent for free no questions asked and your replacement tent is still sitting on our loading dock after 9 months waiting for someone to pick it up?
Please tell me no. Because your warranty claim (cracking gel coat and some kind of unexplained fabric issue we’ve never seen before) could not have possibly gone any easier for you. We simply had to wait a shipment cycle to get a replacement for you.
Please advise. Your tent is still sitting here...

Last edited:
There have been several threads on here and other forums about _issues_ with JB tents. I myself are having issues with my tent I'm waiting to get resolved. I obviously don't have any numbers as I'm not a reseller of any sorts but from what AdventureReady is saying we must be a right bunch of keyboard warriors buying JB stuff when the failure rate is so incredibly low compared to other brands but the issues seem to be over represented on the forums.

What I'm curious about then is howcome JB reduced the 5 year warranty to only 2 years for the problematic parts. And not only that but demanding any issues to be resolved by court in their home town of Porto.
https://www.jamesbaroud.com/en/http-www-jamesbaroud-com-2/

The rhetoric from JB seems to be that the fan and latches etc we didn't actually make so we're not going to stand over them. (All we build is great!)
These things are not user replaceable either, you can't buy another fan of Amazon so if you find yourself with issues you are potentially completely screwed.
Considering the investment I think we all expect these things to last more than 2 years.

I want to point out that the above link is from JB themselves, not from a reseller.

This spat between JB and other people is straight up embarrassing. I saw that a 'JB owners page' on FB was nuked at around the same time as this all happened as well. Again, pages and pages of people with issues with their tents. I don't think a lot of people care about this spat any more but I will tell you what we do care about. What about the future of JB and our tents? These tents very clearly have serious issues or JB would have not needed to very publicly lower the warranty from 5 to 2 years.

I have friends currently in the market for tents and I keep telling them not to buy a JB because you don't know what's going to happen.
Feel free to contact us. Not sure who you’ve been talking to or trying to reach, but as I said if you contact us directly we will absolutely get you sorted. There is absolutely no pandemic issues with James Baroud tents, it’s simply wrong. We have experienced two different issues in the last two years (there are over 6,000 tents in circulation):
1) Microcracking in gel coat. Has happened with 8 tents.
2) Leaking ventilation fans. Has happened in 16 tents. Remedied by replacing fan at dealer or resealing fan at home or at dealer. Problem caused by faulty units from factory, resolved in production in 4 months.
3) Wear in favbric from faulty rivets: 3 tents. Fabric replaced in tents by dealers.

That is literally it. No lie, no BS. What you get are people complaining because they aren’t being helped. I’m sincerely sorry if you are in that category. We are resolving things as rapidly as we can once we actually hear from customers and they find real dealers not the fake James Baroud USA sure. Please contact us.

Last edited:
Not me, and not my AluCab order.

As for the "unexplained fabric issue," I'll bet it's the same issue you saw on the tent I returned to you, and on many others that came before me. The same problems on JB tents time and time again, which neither JB nor you "have ever seen before" in every single case.
I understand you’re upset but you’re simply incorrect. We have about zero issues with fabric. I think 2 in the last couple of years that I can recall. One with an improper rivet that rubbed through and the other I don’t recall. I am getting your tent mixed up with someone else’s obviously, I don’t recall and you haven’t clued me in at all to who you are so I’m doing my best. But you’re simply just spreading what is basically fake news.

Apologies for any inconvenience you have had but it sounds like you were taken care of yes? If you still need some help with something just reach out and we’ll get it sorted.

My problems here:

Two more guys with the same fabric problems here:

This guy having fabric issues on his replacement JB tent:

And the "improper rivet" instance you just mentioned.

That's just the instances reported by ExPo users... How many other JB owners have never heard of this forum?

"About zero issues with fabric"
"Fake news"

You're either outright ignorant about your product, or blatantly lying.
All I can do is tell you what we are seeing in the real world. You just found two posts - one almost two years old and another like 5 years old. There are literally thousands of tents in the US and nearly all are owned by overland enthusiasts. You’d think there’d be far more evidence of some kind of systemic issue no? Not to mention there are quite literally 100,000 tents in use regularly around the globe. Feel free to believe what you want to believe. I’m just telling you the actual reality.

Do companies have warranty issues? Yes, we all do. And things do happen. The “cracking” for example - happens in every single type of product that is fiberglass with gel coat. Other tent manufacturers have it, boat companies have it, etc. it does happen. It’s purely cosmetic and it is not the fiberglass itself, just something that happens with gel coat. And we either compensate and fix the issue with the customers approval, or we replace the tent. ?

But it’s also true that people increasingly abuse products and then contact the company with immediate threats to damage their reputation online if they don’t get what they want. We had a guy last year who literally cracked his tent in half - still no idea how he achieved that - and wanted a replacement tent because it “just happened when I was closing the tent.” We had to decline the claim because it was obvious he did something pretty dramatic but what happened? He waged war online against us and James Baroud for a month literally calling people names and getting friends to leave fake negative online reviews. Not a joke. And trust me this stuff is happening more and more. Just the way it is nowadays. My point is, you can either spend hours searching down every negative review you can find on something, or you can look at the exponentially more positive ones and see how successful a company is and make a reasonable decision. Up to everyone to operate however they see fit.

Last edited:

maust

Just returned from a weekend camping trip having a great time. When opening the JB Evasion I was extremely disappointed seeing a hole in the fabric. Tent is only a few years old and would like to see how others have repaired / replaced the canvas.

concretejungle

Adventurer
I never realized so many people were having issues with their JB tents. I have had one of the original space evo tents. I have had an issue with the gel coat and I've posted that. Other than that, it's been an excellent tent. No other issues I can think of.

maust

This tent has already been warrantied out before with the same canvas failure. The threads holding the canvas together are already worn away. Along the dotted line the canvas has become thin and will continue to cut along the bottom shell of the tent. The tent was purchased through Tactical Application Vehicles, yet my understanding is they are no longer a JB dealer. I'm hesitant to contact TAV after they ran the drivers door into the shop vise and refused to cover the damages.

In the mounting comes in to question the bed rack used was custom fabricated after being signed off by James Baroud prior to build.

I also reached out to Adventure-ready earlier this week by email attaching a number of photos highlighting the abrasion and developing holes along the canvas. Currently waiting for a response.

Attachments

• Hole.jpg
    Hole.jpg
    891.6 KB · Views: 36

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne