Jake’s 1st Gen Tundra Camping Build & Trips

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Some updates regarding vibration issues. The plot thickens!

If you recall, I started this quest b/c when towing, the whole truck would shake. I installed some rear airbags so I could tow without the rear end sagging.
Now when towing and airbags inflated (truck sitting level) I only experience a mild vibration (similar to when I am not towing). This is annoying, but not frightening (like before).

So I took it to the dealership for vibration diagnosis. They had no idea, said DS joints and carrier bearing were fine, and sent me to a shop that does driveshafts.
This shop said the drive shaft was balanced and pinion angle was fine. But they never actually drove it anywhere. Also, not quite sure of the competency of this place.

I have the truck back at home and have removed the DS. I'm going to drive FWD for the next day or two to see if I can tell a difference.

Right now I am thinking it's an issue with either:
1) Driveshaft
2) One of the brakes sticking
3) Steering Components. I think the inner tie rods could be the original parts.

smokeysevin

Observer
does it change with speed?
does it change if you shift into neutral
does it change in 4wd vs 2wd

Mine was clearly a driveshaft issue, exacerbated by adding the front drivetrain. Once I rebuild the double cardan it went away completely. The joints felt fine but a combination of the joints being worse than they felt and built up grease and dirt threw it out of whack. The front driveshaft also needs rebuilding but I haven't had the energy or time to pull it again.

Sean

Kpack

Adventurer
Some updates regarding vibration issues. The plot thickens!

If you recall, I started this quest b/c when towing, the whole truck would shake. I installed some rear airbags so I could tow without the rear end sagging.
Now when towing and airbags inflated (truck sitting level) I only experience a mild vibration (similar to when I am not towing). This is annoying, but not frightening (like before).

So I took it to the dealership for vibration diagnosis. They had no idea, said DS joints and carrier bearing were fine, and sent me to a shop that does driveshafts.
This shop said the drive shaft was balanced and pinion angle was fine. But they never actually drove it anywhere. Also, not quite sure of the competency of this place.

I have the truck back at home and have removed the DS. I'm going to drive FWD for the next day or two to see if I can tell a difference.

Right now I am thinking it's an issue with either:
1) Driveshaft
2) One of the brakes sticking
3) Steering Components. I think the inner tie rods could be the original parts.
How would one tell if it was a steering component? I ask because I have a slight clunk on any movement of the suspension on the passenger side. Not sure if it's UCA ball joint wearing out or something else. I did all new inner and outer tie rods and LBJ about 30K miles ago.

I had been chasing a shake/vibration of unknown origin for a while. I finally gave up and stopped caring.

I've heard a road force balance may be required to eliminate tire vibrations on the highway. Some guys on the Tundra forum have done this.

What are the typical issues people have?

The only complaint I've seen was from a guy that did a diff drop on this Tacoma then he smashed it on a rock(the diff). He was claiming that having the diff lower caused this.

@SportsmanJake your theory about a sticking brake pad could be correct. I just saw another 1st gen guy had a vibration at 40mph that went away once he swapped pads and rotor.

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
I've heard a road force balance may be required to eliminate tire vibrations on the highway. Some guys on the Tundra forum have done this.

The only complaint I've seen was from a guy that did a diff drop on this Tacoma then he smashed it on a rock(the diff). He was claiming that having the diff lower caused this.

@SportsmanJake your theory about a sticking brake pad could be correct. I just saw another 1st gen guy had a vibration at 40mph that went away once he swapped pads and rotor.

I've got the Road Force Balance appointment on Thursday. If that's not it, I will look at the brakes. If it's a sticking caliper, do I need to replace the pad, rotor, and caliper?

I've got the Road Force Balance appointment on Thursday. If that's not it, I will look at the brakes. If it's a sticking caliper, do I need to replace the pad, rotor, and caliper?

I'm no brake expert. If the rotors haven't been replaced in a while then I would do all 3. If they are new you may be able to just replace or rebuild the calipers.

huntsonora

Explorer
Summer Update:
Truck progress has been slow since I joined a volunteer fire station at the beginning of the year. Recently rolled 100k miles though.

I am currently collecting parts for a front end refresh. UBJ, LBJ, OTR, Boots, ect. That will be coming soon.

Yesterday I picked up another truck cap for a couple hundred bucks. Its for a double cab 1GT so it's about an inch short, but I've got some plans to make it work.
View attachment 528602

i have an 06 DC and am looking at an ARE DCU built for an access cab. Do you think it would fit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles