Jah310 Trailer Build. Here goes...!

jah310

Adventurer
Want to convert the trailer rims to match the Land Cruiser's rims. The LC bolt pattern is 5x150. Who knew that none of the major trailer axle manufacturing companies make hubs with that bolt pattern??

Also found out there's no adapter going from the Tacoma's 6 X 5.5 to the LC's 5 X 150 that's less than 2 inches thick.

After further digging I've come up with a solution. Swap the trailer drum hub assembly to a 5 x 4.5 pattern and use a 5 x 4.5 to 6 x 150 adapter thats only an 1.25" thick.

If I've got this right in my head the off set of the new LC rim will compensate for the 1.25 inch adapter. (LC rim is a 18x8 +60mm offset vs the Tacoma rim being 16x7 +32mm offset.)

Sound right?

Here is a picture of the new hub drum assembly. Still waiting on the adapters.

306147a4ba90e650fe6fd08baac69e1a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jah310

Adventurer
Did you get the rims on? I'm curious about doing the same and how it worked out for you.

Yes - I was able to make it work. I haven't bought the new rims / tires for the trailer yet, but managed to replace the old hubs with a 5x4.5 hubs, stick on a set of adapters to get to 5x150 and mount a test rim from the Land Cruiser. Fits perfect and the offset measurements are in line - tires are about exactly where they need to be. I think it looks great... When I get the actual rims for the trailer I'll finish the other side and make a few adjustments (the studs on the new hubs are 1.25inch and the spacer is also 1.25inch so I want to grind the hub studs down a tad so I know the rim is mounted flush on the adapters without the studs getting in the way).

Here are a few pics...

0fdd0b207e9fa7cedf1d2424622676f1.jpg

d2555c9bb9ac496e250dd4b555037cd2.jpg

b8e1daee16e42906ed350be25d010d8a.jpg

2937a9f9eca9323176e0b429cc85724c.jpg

cf18fb6200499e3cf531034847391ba8.jpg

Last edited:

purdytj

seeker
Awesome, that does look great. It will look great behind your LC with the same rims. Thanks for the specs too.

Krayziekid

Observer
Hey man,

Just gotta say that your build is absolutely awesome. Seriously impressive! I just started practicing my welding and fabrication and I am seriously thinking about building one in a very similar manner to yours for the back of my 4th Gen 4runner :D

I have a couple of questions (and will likely have more in the future)! Mind helping me out?

1. You mentioned previously that you used "2x2 and 2x3 angle (.1875 thickness)" for your corner uprights, and "2x2 flat bar (.1875 thickness)." What exactly are those used for? Are the 2x2 and 2x3 for the corners of the wood paneling, and the 2x2 flat bar those pieces all around that the wood exterior bolts to?

2. The entire frame is 2.5"x2.5" square steel tube .120 thickness right?

3. For the entire base frame and box frame, did you gusset everything? Or just when you thought you needed it?

Thanks!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Great build! The flat stock was to mount the sides. It looks great like an old woody, but.....I'd try to figure out how to close those joints between the deck boards, many ways to do that. Some photos show day light between the joints, they just can't fit tight enough to keep out fine blowing dust and water, I know, it is storage and containers may keep stuff clean and dry, but I'd consider a liner inside as well. But hey, great job especially for your first one!!!

jah310

Adventurer
Hey man,

Just gotta say that your build is absolutely awesome. Seriously impressive! I just started practicing my welding and fabrication and I am seriously thinking about building one in a very similar manner to yours for the back of my 4th Gen 4runner :D

I have a couple of questions (and will likely have more in the future)! Mind helping me out?

1. You mentioned previously that you used "2x2 and 2x3 angle (.1875 thickness)" for your corner uprights, and "2x2 flat bar (.1875 thickness)." What exactly are those used for? Are the 2x2 and 2x3 for the corners of the wood paneling, and the 2x2 flat bar those pieces all around that the wood exterior bolts to?

2. The entire frame is 2.5"x2.5" square steel tube .120 thickness right?

3. For the entire base frame and box frame, did you gusset everything? Or just when you thought you needed it?

Thanks!

Krayziekid - thanks for the compliments. It was incredibly fun to build - enjoyed every step.

I'm more than happy to help where I can. With regard to your specific questions below:

1) Yes, you're correct. The 2x2 angles were used as corner uprights to form the back of the box and the 2x3 were used as corner uprights to form the front of the box. I used the larger 2x3s in the front as the composite decking has a perpendicular meeting and I wanted enough space for the mounting holes. In the rear I didn't have that problem because of the seperate tailgate. The 2x3 flat bars were used around the box to support the paneling. The pictures in post 21 may help visualize what I'm talking about.

2) Yes correct.

3) I did not gusset everything - with all the cross bars and supports its plenty strong. I did gusset around the hitch and the 2x2 bar that extends to the multi-coupler. See post 13.

Hope that helps and good luck with your build!

Cheers

Last edited:

jah310

Adventurer
Great build! The flat stock was to mount the sides. It looks great like an old woody, but.....I'd try to figure out how to close those joints between the deck boards, many ways to do that. Some photos show day light between the joints, they just can't fit tight enough to keep out fine blowing dust and water, I know, it is storage and containers may keep stuff clean and dry, but I'd consider a liner inside as well. But hey, great job especially for your first one!!!

Ozarker - Thanks. See post 217 reposted below. We ran 80 plus miles on dirt roads in Idaho and didn't get a speck of dust intrusion. On that trip we kept a bunch of pillows and blankets in the trailer with no problem. We've been in rain without issues as well. The tongue box however is a different story. It's fine keeping water out due to the lip on the lid, but its stinks in keeping the dust out. Adding some rubber seals is on the to do list...

Cheers

Updating the post...

Taped off all the seams / joints of the composite decking with blue painters tape.

d16c1f3636e8cb201ee3856fecd99e51.jpg

Then filled it all in with grey Geocel Pro Flex Sealant that Precision Powder recommended (see earlier threads posts).... Worked great.

9c875c18504c2c31a014919a0d9ae540.jpg

Reinstalled the water pump housing unit...

dc9d4db697bed207bf532fa2222c3810.jpg

Reinstalled the frontrunner water tank and hooked everything back together. All worked just like before - Phew.

27be7476fba28c316797e66bdf753ea9.jpg

Last edited:

jah310

Adventurer
Awesome, that does look great. It will look great behind your LC with the same rims. Thanks for the specs too.

Purdytj - Thanks and no problem. I finally got an extra set of rims and just need to get the LT275/70R18 BFGs mounted. Hopefully I can finish the hub conversions and have them on the trailer soon. When I do I'll post some pics...

jah310

Adventurer
Got them all mounted up... not the best pics but you get the idea.

634e404ad512b188729145da7e124b05.jpg

be8bfce39e91efc2de1d398a5513b5e6.jpg

cd622d33cee8fb0abe64680dac2ac1fa.jpg

jah310

Adventurer
Thanks guys... I'm glad it all came together. Ready to take the family out. We have a trip planned in April

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online