Jaguar Land Rover buys performance 4x4 firm Bowler

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
That's an interesting twist.

"The likelihood is that the Bowler name will be used on Land Rover models as extreme, off-road variants. "

That seems to indicate that Land Rover is serious about offroading the new Defender...

1576691232634.png

soflorovers

Maybe SVO can use some energy? Seems like that group has been neutered since the $4B loss and on-going accounting management.
Fair. My point being that JLR clearly saw some value in Bowler. Intangible assets (Quality employees and creative minds) don't have a place on a balance sheet. I think you're right, SVO will receive a good boost from this gang. FWIW, SVO has been cranking out tons of spectacular vehicles that are "Money-no-object" builds. Unfortunately, some of them have been shelved due to BS reasons (Looking at you SVO Disco and 2 door RR). Hopefully Bowler comes up with viable projects that see the light of day.

DieselRanger

This will be a profit machine for a step above SVO/SVX
Fair. My point being that JLR clearly saw some value in Bowler. Intangible assets (Quality employees and creative minds) don't have a place on a balance sheet. I think you're right, SVO will receive a good boost from this gang. FWIW, SVO has been cranking out tons of spectacular vehicles that are "Money-no-object" builds. Unfortunately, some of them have been shelved due to BS reasons (Looking at you SVO Disco and 2 door RR). Hopefully Bowler comes up with viable projects that see the light of day.

Jaguar is producing "reborn" restomods at ultrapremium prices through their Classic Works division - maybe this will be an equivalent business unit for LR. That kind of work is very profitable, and it will carry the cachet of being directly associated with Land Rover vs. a third party doing the work.

Though I'll say that hasn't hurt Singer, as an example.

DzlToy

Explorer
In a world that thrives on silly marketing and branding nonsense, acquiring a recognised performance "brand" for pennies is a no-brainer. JLR could easily do anything that Bowler could do, if it chose to do so. Simply, it does not "need" Bowler anymore than Mercedes 'needed' AMG before it was acquired. There is no shortage of competent R&D and race engineers working for the conglomerate that is Daimler or JLR.

Buying Bowler is simply a way for the latter to leverage branding/marketing to the footballers who will buy one and make the school run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles