Jack's "new" 2006 LJ Rubicon

locrwln

Expedition Leader
great post!

Thank you, coming from you, that means a lot.

Jack,
I have been watching the threads for both your truck and LJ as I have the same. I must say they are both awesome vehicles.
I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.
First where did you find the Hiline fenders? I have been looking and best I can tell they are discontinued.
Also when you flat tow the Jeep without the camper, does the rear of your truck get lite when you stop hard?
I ask because mine has given me a few scary moments.
Thanks,
Ray

Thank you, I have tried and sometimes I think gone a little overboard, but I like where I have both of them. They work very well at what I want them to do.
I sourced them last year when AEV pretty much said, "Here are the last ones we are going to do." I am nervous about the possibility of ever damaging them, but that is the risk I suppose. It's too bad that AEV has forsaken anything TJ, because their excuse was that there were problems with the flare supplier and that is why the highline kit is being discontinued. They are going to continue offering the hoods, but the fenders are no more.

To be honest, I have never flat towed the Jeep. I took the tow bar brackets off and even removed the wiring for the tail lights. I installed the Mopar 7 pin trailer plug (made for LJ's) and that required that the Roadmaster rear light harness be removed. There are a few other guys on here that flat tow theirs, so they may be able to help.

Also, congrats on a great combination. I am extremely satisfied with both my Duramax and my LJ. Pure perfection for my uses.

Jack

RYOUNG

Observer
Thanks Jack,
I was hoping you had a mystery source for the fenders. I guess I'll stick with my plans of buying the hood and see if I can find someone the make a set of custom stock shaped tube fenders. Just need a little more clearance for the 35s and don't want to go bigger than 4" I already have.
These plans will have to wait for a little bit since we are leaving for a week of wheelin in the Silverton area soon. Hopefully we can meet some time. The Rubicon is on our bucket list. Here is a picture of the rigs.

Attachments

• IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Thanks Jack,
I was hoping you had a mystery source for the fenders. I guess I'll stick with my plans of buying the hood and see if I can find someone the make a set of custom stock shaped tube fenders. Just need a little more clearance for the 35s and don't want to go bigger than 4" I already have.
These plans will have to wait for a little bit since we are leaving for a week of wheelin in the Silverton area soon. Hopefully we can meet some time. The Rubicon is on our bucket list. Here is a picture of the rigs.

Yeah, sorry on that. Supposedly, AEV is keeping a few "crash" parts for current owners, but will not sell a "kit" anymore. I don't blame you on not wanting to go taller. Do you currently have a body lift? I really didn't want to do a BL, but with the need to get the belly tucked up, I had no choice. I initially ordered a 1/2" BL because that is all that is needed for the Rokmen TT. I ended up moving up to the 1" because I couldn't find or source a 1/2" motor mount lift and was struggling with figuring out a solution. I didn't want a compromised solution, so I went to the larger BL because I could get a 1" MML. Of course after I bought the 1" stuff, I think I figured out a solution to the 1/2" MML. I also installed the Novak cable shifter. The shifter works so much smoother now.

Have a great trip to Silverton, that area is on my list as well. Let me know when you are thinking of heading this way, I would be happy to run the 'Con, pretty much anytime. I can be on the Tahoe side of the trail in about an hour.

Great update Jack. Jeep looks great. I am sure with the gearing and turbo, it drives great too.

John

Yes it does. Like I said, I wasn't looking to turn it into a sports car, but to make it more enjoyable to drive. I live at 5100' in elevation and Reno sits at 4500' and pretty much everything goes up from here, so it struggled. If I wasn't doing the turbo, I would have gone with 5.13's.

Really liking the Metal Cloak arms as well, very smooth and controlled, with a noticeable improvement over the stock arms, even though they only had 30k on them.

Jack

1stDeuce

Explorer
Nice work Jack!! I really need to get off my duff and get the 4.5L built this summer... I think that'll make my Jeep much happier too!! AEV and Nth make some nice stuff! Too bad that AEV can't even say TJ now that the KJ is their cash cow.

Also when you flat tow the Jeep without the camper, does the rear of your truck get lite when you stop hard?
I ask because mine has given me a few scary moments.
Thanks,
Ray

Ray, I flat tow my LJ around behind my 2500 GMC with camper and without, and aside from really snow/icy roads empty, you should not be having problems. The key is that the tow bar needs to be horizontal, or hitch DOWN by a few inches at the most. If your tow bar is pointing up, it's going to lift the back of your truck when you stop, which is not so sweet. With it pointing down slightly, it'll put more weight on your truck as you stop.

I should add that our trucks are fairly rear biased for daily driving, and the ABS is intended to come in and limit pressure to the rear if the rear tires start to lock. Empty, on a bug-eyed stop, I definitely get some noise from the rear tires even with the bar level.
If your problems are specifically turning-related, pm me and I'll discuss in further detail what you might do to make things better!
Chris

RYOUNG

Observer
Yeah, sorry on that. Supposedly, AEV is keeping a few "crash" parts for current owners, but will not sell a "kit" anymore. I don't blame you on not wanting to go taller. Do you currently have a body lift? I really didn't want to do a BL, but with the need to get the belly tucked up, I had no choice. I initially ordered a 1/2" BL because that is all that is needed for the Rokmen TT. I ended up moving up to the 1" because I couldn't find or source a 1/2" motor mount lift and was struggling with figuring out a solution. I didn't want a compromised solution, so I went to the larger BL because I could get a 1" MML. Of course after I bought the 1" stuff, I think I figured out a solution to the 1/2" MML. I also installed the Novak cable shifter. The shifter works so much smoother now.

Have a great trip to Silverton, that area is on my list as well. Let me know when you are thinking of heading this way, I would be happy to run the 'Con, pretty much anytime. I can be on the Tahoe side of the trail in about an hour.

Yes it does. Like I said, I wasn't looking to turn it into a sports car, but to make it more enjoyable to drive. I live at 5100' in elevation and Reno sits at 4500' and pretty much everything goes up from here, so it struggled. If I wasn't doing the turbo, I would have gone with 5.13's.

Really liking the Metal Cloak arms as well, very smooth and controlled, with a noticeable improvement over the stock arms, even though they only had 30k on them.

Jack

Thanks Jack,
A tummy tuck and 1" body lift are in the near future. I have ordered the Currie bump stops to try to keep the front tires from chewing up my fenders at full stuff. I already have 2" bump stop spacers and it looks like I need another 2".
We are planning to due Moab next year and hopefully the Rubicon the following year. I will get in touch when the time comes. It must be awesome to live so close to such great trails. We have to drive about 4 hours to get any sort of rock.

RYOUNG

Observer
Nice work Jack!! I really need to get off my duff and get the 4.5L built this summer... I think that'll make my Jeep much happier too!! AEV and Nth make some nice stuff! Too bad that AEV can't even say TJ now that the KJ is their cash cow.

Ray, I flat tow my LJ around behind my 2500 GMC with camper and without, and aside from really snow/icy roads empty, you should not be having problems. The key is that the tow bar needs to be horizontal, or hitch DOWN by a few inches at the most. If your tow bar is pointing up, it's going to lift the back of your truck when you stop, which is not so sweet. With it pointing down slightly, it'll put more weight on your truck as you stop.

I should add that our trucks are fairly rear biased for daily driving, and the ABS is intended to come in and limit pressure to the rear if the rear tires start to lock. Empty, on a bug-eyed stop, I definitely get some noise from the rear tires even with the bar level.
If your problems are specifically turning-related, pm me and I'll discuss in further detail what you might do to make things better!
Chris

Deuce,
Thanks for the info and I will send you a pm so we don't clutter up Jacks thread with towing talk. Thanks again everyone. It too bad AEV has thrown the TJ folks to the wolves, they were the go to guys for quality upgrades.

Sprkplg08

image.jpg awesome jeep! Here's a pic of my 06 LJ also highlined and turbo'd. I've driven all types of cars in my life and this jeep has been the best so far!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Thanks Jack,
A tummy tuck and 1" body lift are in the near future. I have ordered the Currie bump stops to try to keep the front tires from chewing up my fenders at full stuff. I already have 2" bump stop spacers and it looks like I need another 2".
We are planning to due Moab next year and hopefully the Rubicon the following year. I will get in touch when the time comes. It must be awesome to live so close to such great trails. We have to drive about 4 hours to get any sort of rock.

Sounds like a good plan. We are planning on returning to Moab next year also. Not sure what time just yet, but we will be there too. Just let me know when you are ready to give the Rubicon a try, it's always a good time.

View attachment 227130 awesome jeep! Here's a pic of my 06 LJ also highlined and turbo'd. I've driven all types of cars in my life and this jeep has been the best so far!

Awesome!! It does make for a great platform and yours is a good looking one.

should start a LJ Highline club or something...

Yeah, it's too bad AEV has forsaken the TJ platform, they are a great looking product. Nice looking red one!!

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I've been meaning to update this thread. As of two weeks ago, I sold the Jeep...

I wasn't actively trying to sell it, but a friend made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Kind of what happened with my FZJ80, wasn't trying to or actively selling it, but sometimes that's just the way it goes.

Still haven't decided on it's replacement, but looking.

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles