Jacks for expedition vehicles

cph05a

I'm in the early stages of building an expedition vehicle and trying to get everything together. The weight on my rear axle will likely be in the ballpark of 7000lbs which is the max load of a high lift jack so I'm looking into other options. What do you guys with heavy vehicles use/recommend?

ohanacrusader

Adventurer
I just ran into this over the weekend. I pulled out my X Jack exhaust jack and found that it couldn't lift even one tire off the ground. I understand it maybe from suspension travel but it also concerned me due to the bag being at its maximum rated weight. When airing it up with the compressor there was no way to tell when it was maxed out and filled to its max. I also carry a bottle jack that I built a platform to set on to increase the lifting height and account for increased ride height from wheels and suspension.

I understand the pro's of a hi lift jack for certain vehicles but I don't have a lot of lifting point and maybe my only one would be my sliders since they run wheel to wheel. So what would you guys recommend or what has worked for you with a full size or greater rig? If using an air bag are you guys placing the air bag directly under the axle?

chet6.7

Explorer
[QUOTE="ohanacrusader, post: 2541339, member: 42024"

I understand the pro's of a hi lift jack for certain vehicles but I don't have a lot of lifting point and maybe my only one would be my sliders since they run wheel to wheel. So what would you guys recommend or what has worked for you with a full size or greater rig? If using an air bag are you guys placing the air bag directly under the axle?[/QUOTE]
Do you have a lift mate?
https://www.amazon.com/Hi-Lift-LM10..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=PHMARXPDMC2SDFQPHHYS

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hiya
The capacity of hi lift type jacks usually drops towards the top of their reach too.
I think a pair of hydraulic bottle jacks is a good plan. If totally sunk I could put one under the bumper or chassis and lift until I can get the other under the axle.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I carry a 12 ton bottle jack for my Nissan Titan. A little overkill but I can help just about anyone out. I mate it with a piece of 2x10 for a base and several pieces of 4x4 for extra height. We had the chance to use it on another vehicle on the ID BDR trip.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Just to add, I did have some solid lumps of wood as base plates or spreaders which after some time and use split.
I then glued and screwed layers of plywood of maybe 5/8ths to end up with a block about 15" x 10" x 2.5" approx. This actually ended up lighter than the solid wood, and is stiffer.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Grizzlyj, you might want to look into the safe jack base plate. Seems a fair bit sturdier and potentially lighter (or similar) to your solution.

97M-UBS_web_1024x1024.jpg

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
I have an X-Jack air jack, because I used to overland with a unibody Subaru. It was great for that vehicle, as there were very few appropriate jack points, and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to use the OEM jack because access to the jack points may be compromized when out on a dirt road. The X-jack was great for the Subie, as there are minimal sharp points underneath, and it's quite flat, so I only had to keep away from the hot exhaust system. I did test the X-Jack using the exhaust to fill it, which I think is what Frenchie has tried (we've discussed this before), but the air compressor is so much faster and easier to use for one person, so that is what I always use for inflating the X-Jack.

I have also used the X-jack on my lifted 4Runner, and it has worked very well with no issues. I always use the supplied very thick piece of rubber to protect the bag from sharp points underneath the vehicle (the off brand air bags don't seem to have this protective rubber sheet, and I think this is where some of the negative thoughts about air jacks originates), and the bottom of the bag is already reinforced. I would, and have, changed a tire on my 4Runner using just the x-jack and working solo. Of course, make sure that nobody is positioned such that they'd get hurt if the jack failed. I would have to be in a very dire (life threatening) position to take the risk of changing a tire with just a hi-lift jack holding the vehicle, working solo or with help. I have actually done that, but I was much younger then! If you try really hard, you might be able to use the X-Jack to push a vehicle sideways to reposition the tires away from ruts. It is actually too stable when the vehicle is level to do this easily, and I would position some floor mats to protect the X-Jack as it moved over onto it's side. Interestingly, even when you open the 2" diameter air release plug, the bag deflates quite slowly. It's a large volume, and the bag is at <10psi, so I guess it makes sense.

All that said, the OP's vehicle is too heavy for the X-Jack, and a hydraulic jack (or two) sounds like the best solution. I just wanted to comment on the efficacy of the X-Jack, since it has been discussed here. I can't wait until the ARB Jack (hydraulic) or a similar design becomes inexpensive and has more accesories available.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I'm not lifting a heavy truck with a Hi-Lift. Way too unstable and just asking for body damage if something shifts. Bottle jack with the SafeJack extensions for me.

People have commented that you can't always fit a jack under the axle with a flat tire or maybe it won't lift enough due to the terrain. I can always dig a little hole for it to sit in or stuff a rock or log under the axle to get another bit of lift if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles