Jack's 2007 Chevy with a 2008 FWC Hawk

Guambomb

Adventurer
I saw that camper when it was for sale; Great to see it's being put to good use. What's your opinion on exploring in the FWC versus the days when you were camping out of your Cruiser? Really wanting to put a camper on my Tundra but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I saw that camper when it was for sale; Great to see it's being put to good use. What's your opinion on exploring in the FWC versus the days when you were camping out of your Cruiser? Really wanting to put a camper on my Tundra but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

We are trying to use it to it's full potential.

The camper doesn't seem to make any difference to the truck, it really doesn't feel like it's on the truck off road. Because ours is a shell and we keep our gear on the floor, that seems to help with keeping the weight low and COG low.

Obviously, the LC was more built than the truck, so I was able to travel over rougher terrain and to do it faster. The truck is the limit right now, not the camper. As far as camping, it's not even close. We are loving it and are really glad that we did it. It is so much easier than finding a spot, making sure the tent will fit, setting up, putting away a tent that is damp on the floor (ground moisture), etc. We basically went from an hour set up/tear down to about 20 minutes (maybe 30 with the Pett toilet).

I did loose about 2mpg once the camper was mounted. I plan to add a deflector to the cab of the truck to help get the air up and over the camper vs. taking it straight on and under the "cabover" portion of the camper. I'm hoping to pick up at least 1 mpg back with that addition. We'll see.

I would highly recommend a camper, as long as you keep it light and respect it for what it is. We have a big Lance for the highway runs, so it was very tempting to find a FWC with all the amenities, but we realized that we had all the gear from years of vehicle camping and all that extra stuff just adds weight and moves the COG up, which we didn't want.

We are more willing to do the quick trips vs. with the LC, it is just much easier with the camper. I don't think you would regret it, we don't.

Jack

pods8

Explorer
Then the problem...I couldn't figure out why the 12v hot wire wouldn't show as being hot. The owner's manual was no help, so to the internet we went. Come to find out, I needed to install a 30amp fuse in the "stud #1" position under the hood. Monday morning I ran down to Napa and picked up the fuse and now we have power.

Just double check what gauge the stock wire is to make sure it's something reasonable so you're not getting too much voltage drop.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Just double check what gauge the stock wire is to make sure it's something reasonable so you're not getting too much voltage drop.

Shouldn't be a problem, it was designed to power a trailer from the factory and is set up for either a 30a or 40a fuse (depending on which source you find, I used a 30a). Besides, we are only running our Waeco and the interior lights as needed. Very little power draw, in fact I had to turn my Waeco down a notch, it was getting too cold. :wings:

Jack

pods8

Explorer
Shouldn't be a problem, it was designed to power a trailer from the factory and is set up for either a 30a or 40a fuse (depending on which source you find, I used a 30a). Besides, we are only running our Waeco and the interior lights as needed. Very little power draw, in fact I had to turn my Waeco down a notch, it was getting too cold. :wings:

Jack

Current capacity and voltage drop are two different matters. If you're just trying to power some 12V items it's not as big of an issue, if you're trying to keep your battery charged it's a whole different issue, that is where the voltage drop comes into play. Your alt is likely putting out over 14V, that Waeco is going to be happy even if you drop off to 12V by the time you get to it. You battery on the other hand won't take a charge if you drop off much of that voltage since you need higher voltage than is in the battery to push a charge into it.

Anyways just was a suggestion.

haulindave

Observer
Great tread !

I love that area . Really nice pics . Thanks for taking us along :sombrero:

Hope to get up there this later this summer or fall again ?:ylsmoke:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Current capacity and voltage drop are two different matters. If you're just trying to power some 12V items it's not as big of an issue, if you're trying to keep your battery charged it's a whole different issue, that is where the voltage drop comes into play. Your alt is likely putting out over 14V, that Waeco is going to be happy even if you drop off to 12V by the time you get to it. You battery on the other hand won't take a charge if you drop off much of that voltage since you need higher voltage than is in the battery to push a charge into it.

Anyways just was a suggestion.

Gotcha. No battery needing charged for me. Just a shell FWC and no plans for an aux battery. The two on board will be enough for the power needs I have. I never stay in one place, so the batteries will get charged no problem.

Appreciate the suggestion, it's all good.

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz