Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Our next stop was White Sands. Unfortunately, the weather was not cooperating and it was raining and overcast. Kind of made the "white" not so white and of course the sand was soaking wet and not much fun to mess around in.
IMG_1346_heic-L.jpg

After White Sands, we headed toward the Gila River for some hot springs. The area was amazing and we only wish that the weather had been better, it was in the 30's to low 40's and rained on and off for two days.
IMG_1347_heic-L.jpg

IMG_1348_heic-L.jpg

From New Mexico, we continued west into Arizona. We found a spot in the Chiricahua National Monument/Coronado National Forest area and finally some sun. We took the opportunity to lay everything out and let it dry out. The road into this area was still a little muddy, but overall wasn't too bad. It still wasn't warm and got below freezing over night. Which made getting out much easier as the mud was frozen. :cool:
IMG_1350_heic-L.jpg

From there we made traveled through Tombstone. I didn't get any pictures, but it was still pretty cool. My wife had never been and it has been over 20 years since I have been. From there we headed to Tucson as it was time for laundry and resupply our fresh water so we found a campground for the night. After getting everything taken care of, we headed for Why, AZ for the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. We camped outside of town and had another great sunset.
IMG_1351_heic-L.jpg

IMG_1353_heic-L.jpg

IMG_1354_heic-L.jpg

IMG_1367_heic-L.jpg

IMG_1356_heic-L.jpg

IMG_1360_heic-L.jpg

IMG_1362_heic-L.jpg

While out on one of the hikes, we saw this Cholla with a surprise.
IMG_1363_heic-L.jpg

IMG_1364_heic-L.jpg

That was one impressive nest and well protected as well.

IMG_1366_heic-L.jpg

We decided to work our way out of the park in a northwesterly direction toward Ajo, AZ and of course were warned by the Ranger that the road might be rough and possibly washed out in places. We didn't have any problems, but there were some rough spots that slowed us down some.

Because of the recent rains, everything was greened out and blooming. Most of these plants look dead unless they get water, so it was pretty special to see them in their finery.
IMG_1370_heic-L.jpg

IMG_1373_heic-L.jpg

We found a spot south of AJo and made camp. You can barely see the truck in the distance.
IMG_1377_heic-L.jpg

IMG_1378_heic-L.jpg

And of course another spectacular sunset.
IMG_1380_heic-L.jpg

IMG_1384_heic-L.jpg

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Now part of the reason that we had traveled the direction that we did was because I had wanted to travel the El Camino del Diablo road ever since I had read about it. We headed into Ajo to get our permits and fuel up.
IMG_1387_heic-L.jpg

IMG_1388_heic-L.jpg

IMG_1390_heic-L.jpg

IMG_1391_heic-L.jpg

We went farther that day than we wanted to, but there are limited camping options and we passed the first one too early (or so I thought) and worked out way along until we found our spot for the night.

IMG_1392_heic-L.jpg

IMG_1396_heic-L.jpg

We didn't get any pictures on our way to camp, but made sure to take some on the way back as we traveled through this spot.
IMG_0220-L.jpg

IMG_0221-L.jpg

IMG_0222-L.jpg

IMG_0223-L.jpg

IMG_0226-L.jpg

And then back out to the main road. This part wasn't too bad, but we hit some areas with some seriously deep sand. We didn't have any problems, but it definitely kept us on our toes for driving technique.
IMG_1399_heic-L.jpg

We made it into Yuma and gave the truck a wash. And I found that I had some repair work to do to the camper after punishing it. One of the screws holding the rear taillights on the camper had backed out and disappeared. Yep, I had to find a screw and reinstall that. :LOL: I will say that it was one of the roughest roads we have done. It wasn't that it was technical, but it made up for it in length and roughness. Both us and truck/camper felt it after completing that one.

The next couple of days were just us making our way back to Nevada and home. We did stop at Big Dune in Amargosa Valley, Nevada.
IMG_1404_heic-L.jpg

IMG_1406_heic-L.jpg

IMG_1407_heic-L.jpg

IMG_1408_heic-L.jpg

IMG_1409_heic-L.jpg

IMG_1411_heic-L.jpg

IMG_1413_heic-L.jpg

Thanks for following along. We are putting everything together for our departure for Baja next week.

Jack

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Mmmmm Baja. I was getting the itch earlier this week. I guess I will have to get by with some excellent photos.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Jack, in a different thread, you mention changing to a bullfinch shower setup... Is that inside or out? If out, did you get it to fit in the original outside shower box?

Looking forward to another Baja trip when we get the house finished... Keep up the reports, we're enjoying them as always!!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Jack, in a different thread, you mention changing to a bullfinch shower setup... Is that inside or out? If out, did you get it to fit in the original outside shower box?

Looking forward to another Baja trip when we get the house finished... Keep up the reports, we're enjoying them as always!!

I actually changed out both shower points to Bullfinch versions. On the outside, I mounted it to the outside of the original shower box and pulled the old one out. I then bought a hatch cover (same size), installed some insulation and sealed it up.

Very nice and hopefully we can all travel again soon. I need to get the Baja report written, I've been busy tinkering with the Jeep, so that has taken a lot of time getting it dialed in. I swapped out the gears, which because it was only my second time ever doing gears, it took a while. Going to try and get Baja written up in a few days.

Jack

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Thanks for the hike in perspective of the Caverns. I've always wanted to go. Hike in and elevator out. What is it you used to do to fund the travels?

RyanPartridge

Epic build. Read through the whole thing.
I have the same truck in white(07 classic diesel), looking to order a Bundutec Bunduvry or Roadrunner.
Weight wise I'm going to need to beef my 3/4 into a 1 ton....trying real hard not to go as far as you did.
Great truck Jack.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Epic build. Read through the whole thing.
I have the same truck in white(07 classic diesel), looking to order a Bundutec Bunduvry or Roadrunner.
Weight wise I'm going to need to beef my 3/4 into a 1 ton....trying real hard not to go as far as you did.
Great truck Jack.
Thank you. Just hit 206k miles and still love this truck. We’ve had ours two years now, it’s been a great camper and has certainly put up with a ton of abuse.

Be strong!

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles