Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I know what you mean, it's awesome that you get to really use your truck so much. I'm not there yet but I'm a lot closer than I was 5 years ago. Hell I've never even put up a thread about the truck here.

In the end I'm mostly jealous of your economy and range. I need to get my second tank working again just to get back to 320 miles @ 10mpg lol

Hey, as long as you are using it, that is all that matters. The build will happen and there an awful lot of adventures that can be taken in most any 4x4.

After coming from my LC, which averaged between 10-12 mpg, I know how you feel. I had 49 gallons of gas on that rig and still found myself carrying an extra 5 gallons for the just in case. I had a close call in central Nevada and made it to the gas station on fumes. Not much of an concern with this setup.

Isn't that the truth Jack!

Thankfully I stopped fixing my 4runner years ago and I still like it, it drives and works well.

The Tundra is still 'under the knife', but I hope to be finished my the end of the year.

That is key. Realizing that you are just doing more for the sake of it. Now obviously there is always more you could do, but when they work it sure is hard to justify the time and money...

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
After sitting on the parts for about six months, my wife and I finally found the time to install the complete skid plate system. This is the same skid plate system manufactured for the border patrol, so if it will survive them, I will have no problems. Which is a good thing considering they don't make it anymore. The underbelly is now protected from the very front crossmember right behind the front bumper all the way to the rear torsion bar crossmember. Plus it had more clearance than the stock skid plate that only covered the front differential area. Also the front diff portion is steel versus the aluminum of the factory piece. Enough blabbering, time for pics.

This the "skeleton" and front diff skid plate.

Front approach and bottom skid plate section, this runs next to the steel skid for the diff.

This is the belly portion.

Compared to the factory plastic, aluminum and stamped sheet metal plates.

Looking under the front toward the back with everything installed.

The rear portion that crosses under the torsion bar crossmember.

The mid section.

Jack

1stDeuce

Explorer
Nice to see you finally got to it Jack! I ended up not installing the back half on my truck, since I needed to do a trans service anyway, and it's in the way for oil changes. The front section works very well at deflecting stuff though!! :) I should design one of these and start making and selling it just to replace the plastic and aluminum front pieces that come on the trucks.
I'll post some pics of my install later tonight if I can find them... They sure used a lot of support pieces to put it all together, but it is just about bomb proof!!
Chris

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
You say they don't make these anymore? Damn. 1stDeuce... I have been trying to find someone who makes stouter replacements for those front pieces myself. Let me know if you want a test installer!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Very nice! I need to look into something like that for mine someday.

Thank you. Yeah, that is my second stock skid plate for the front. Once I added the tires, that was enough to keep the skid plate from taking a beating. These are a huge improvement.

nice skidplates!

Thank you.

I love (stout) skid plates!

Good work Jack.

Thank you, I thought you might like them.

Nice to see you finally got to it Jack! I ended up not installing the back half on my truck, since I needed to do a trans service anyway, and it's in the way for oil changes. The front section works very well at deflecting stuff though!! :) I should design one of these and start making and selling it just to replace the plastic and aluminum front pieces that come on the trucks.
I'll post some pics of my install later tonight if I can find them... They sure used a lot of support pieces to put it all together, but it is just about bomb proof!!
Chris

The thanks goes to you. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you giving me the heads up on these before they were all gone. I was looking at that for the oil changes, I have a fumoto valve on my oil pain, so I hope that by adding a small hose to the valve, I can do an oil change without dropping the front pan. Of course, because I have to lube my steering, I may have to drop it anyway, I guess we will see.

They are pure beef and I have complete faith in it. I agree, if you could make the front section, I think it would sell, because of the added protection. Especially, for the guys that don't want to lift their truck, but still use their truck. Looking forward to your pics. Thank you again.

You say they don't make these anymore? Damn. 1stDeuce... I have been trying to find someone who makes stouter replacements for those front pieces myself. Let me know if you want a test installer!

Hopefully 1stDeuce can come up with something.

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Hell that box is almost 10 years old and the Tv that goes with it. At this point the Tv is an antique. It's been a good box used for many, many projects.

Jack

Last edited:

Boost Creep

Adventurer
those skid plates look awesome. who makes/made them? wish i would have known about them while they were still in production

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Light Racing was the maker. They basically had a "fire sale" of the last few they had and 1stDeuce let me know about the sale way back at the first of the year. I think I got one of the very last kits.

Jack

1stDeuce

Explorer
Indeed, there were three kits left and now there are none.
There was a kit for 1500's too, which didn't have all the steel reinforcements, but instead bolted up to factory frame cross members. It was plenty stout! I really like the concept of the 1500 version, but the 2500 version was designed to take a LOT of abuse. I'll put some more thought into designing up a front skidplate. Be nice if it could replace the plastic and aluminum shields, but not interfere with oil changes. Perhaps that's the first product for my new company, which will eventually lead me to financial freedom on my own schedule!! Hahahahaaa
Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior