Jack options for truck camper that sits at about 46" off the ground?

tanuki.himself

I would be very wary of the high lifts - how are you going to stabilise them and stop the whole thing swaying and falling sideways off them? usually when you use them to jack a vehicle up it keeps 2 wheels on the ground, but if you are 4 feet up in the air on 4 spindly legs its going to be very wobbly.

I made my own jacks from concentric pultruded fibreglass beams, and at 900mm extension the whole camper wobbles - that leaves me about 200mm of overlap between the beams and they are really rigidly bolted onto the camper. I'm driving them with 24mm lead screws and am in the process of fitting motors at present. They have cost me about 350 euros for the jacks and so far i've spent about another 300 on the motors, switches, relays etc.....

Anybody ever tried using actuators for this purpose, like these? The heavy duty ones are rated at 1100 lbs each. Maybe not long enough for you anyway...

Mules

Do you think the jack stands could handle casters on the bottom? I'm thinking about adding jack stands instead of the rig I made, but would like to lower the camper, and roll it into my garage, when not being used.BC620DFC-82B2-417E-9297-2745678053E1.jpeg

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Do you think the jack stands could handle casters on the bottom? I'm thinking about adding jack stands instead of the rig I made, but would like to lower the camper, and roll it into my garage, when not being used.

Im guessing it would be better to lower it onto skates or a low profile rolling carriage of some sort than to put wheels on the bottom of relatively tall jacks with something as heavy (and expensive) as a camper that high in the air. During the time you are lowering and weight shifts you would (should) be worried about weight transfer kicking out a Jack.

ReluctantTraveler

How often are you going to be taking the camper off of the truck? 48" sounds crazy high for your camper to be sitting - my Bigfoot sits about 37" high on my Fuso and I have to use 6 steps to get in the back.

Here's what I do - View attachment 221887 I just leave it at height and support it with 4x4s

I know this is a crazy old post, but the folks at Duramag told me F-550's have a deckheight of 41" on stock tires. If you're running bigger ones (like super singles), you're just going up.

One of the sale threads mentioned a deck height of 48" on super singles on a RAM 5500.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94