Iveco challenge for the Defender?

JeffRRC

Adventurer
It would make a wonderful Jeep Commander replacement. I would buy one! I hope Fiat/Jeep and Land Rover are listening.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The Massif is basically a re-badged Defender. IVECO bought the rights to it from Santana who has a long relationship with Land Rover. IVECO then inserted one of their diesel engines into it.

Same 5 on 6.5" bolt pattern as the Land Rover most of the body panels are identical with the exception of the hood, and that could have something to do with the IVECO engine.

JeffRRC

Adventurer
Yea and Fiat owns Iveco. I bet LR would react pretty quickly if they thought the Massif was heading to North America.

cwsqbm

Explorer
Yea and Fiat owns Iveco. I bet LR would react pretty quickly if they thought the Massif was heading to North America.

If its truly a Defender clone, it wouldn't stand anymore chance of meeting America crash standards than a Defender. Lets just add it to the list of vehicles we can't import until they reach 25 years old.

Wander

Expedition Leader
They won't bring it here-the cost of getting it OK'd buy the DOT would not be justified by the limited (but greatful) market, last I checked very few of us buy new cars anyway.

I wonder if the while front is different or just the hood/facia? It looks like the hood is much wider than on the LR so I'm guessing the wings were cut into and the engine bay is also wider. Interesting light arraingment -looks more Asian than Italian (just the lights).

David Harris

Expedition Leader
. . . last I checked very few of us buy new cars anyway.

Nice observation. I've bought a few new cars, but since I've owned my now 15-19 year old Rovers, I'm completely satisfied until they completely fall apart and can no longer be rebuilt. :)

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
It is probably true that we will never see this in the US, but somehow I bet we would see this in the US before a Defender. However, Fiat might not want to do that in fear of cannibalizing the 4 door wrangler market.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
It is probably true that we will never see this in the US, but somehow I bet we would see this in the US before a Defender. However, Fiat might not want to do that in fear of cannibalizing the 4 door wrangler market.

Yeah, but, like the Defender, the Iveco seems to be a lot more of an HD utility vehicle. I mean, you don't see Wranglers out there with buckets fixing power lines, or in emergency services, etc.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Excellent point. Maybe this could be brought over with an emphasis towards fleet and commercial sales, but still have a small civilian presence.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I don't know if it would work as a utility vehicle here in the USA. The mindset in North America is the vehicle has to be massive to do this work. The bigger is better syndrome.

Oilburner

Adventurer
The Massif is totally different from a Defender. It is much closer to a Series III 109 than to a Defender. It uses leaf springs at all 4 corners, the shock arrangement is very Series, the axles are very close to a Series but with disc brakes and by looking at the frame you can still see the Series truck influence.

Santana split off from licensing Rover products back in the Series days and went on their own journey. The Santana trucks evolved on their own into very cool machines, and the Iveco is just a rebadged Santana PS-10 (I prefer the PS-10's styling).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior