I've Sprung A Leak!

alexfm

Explorer
And I cant figure out where the problem is. :Wow1:

I was at my GF's house yesterday, and after leaving my Jeep parked for a few hours, I went outside to toss something in the trash, and noticed a decent sized, fresh oil spot on her driveway. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from, so I went under and looked, and found fresh oil all over my exhaust pipe, starter, and bottom of my transmission. I popped the hood, and couldnt see anything other that a considerable amount of spray on the hose junction immediatley next to the dipstick.

Any thoughts on the cause of this/stuff to replace or fix? I really dont like finding oil spots under my Jeep, because its just one more thing that's leaking. :Wow1:

Thanks,

Alex.

2Shoes

Check the back of your Valve cover gasket. It may not look like it's leaking from the front but it's common for them to leak at the very back and drop down looking like a rear main seal is bad.

Also check your oil filter and make sure it's not leaking. That's another common leak.

alexfm

Explorer
Check the back of your Valve cover gasket. It may not look like it's leaking from the front but it's common for them to leak at the very back and drop down looking like a rear main seal is bad.

Also check your oil filter and make sure it's not leaking. That's another common leak.

I tightened the valve cover bolts, but they keep coming loose, I just havent had time to put some thread lock on them, but I dont think that's the problem. And I checked the oil filter, thats not it. I also replaced the O-rings in the filter adapter thing recently.

I'll try and post some pics of the problem in a bit.

Thanks for your help guys,

Alex

wikun

Observer
Rear Main Seal....And I'll tell you why. The rear mains in the 4.0 ltr don't necessarily leak all the time when they are just about worn out. Sometimes you will hop into your jeep crank, run down the road, park come out and there will be what looks like a quarter of a quart on the ground. Other times, you won't leak or if you are, it isn't noticeable along with the other fluid stains on your driveway. Yes the valve cover, yes the oil filter, but you said the exhaust pipe, droplets on the bottom of the tranny, and generally all over that area. Torque the valve cover, and check the filter for tightness, and keep a quart of your favorite oil in your jeep and see if it doesn't stop. If it doesn't, fill up with oil and go home. I am not going to tell you the rear mains is easy, especially if you don't have a lift or much. I failed when replacing mine, now I have to do it over again. (Just waiting to get time) But your mileage may very. Read up and replace. :smiley_drive:

P.S. Cost is 6.99 - tube of rtv, 19.99 - felpro one piece oil pan gasket, 13.99 - rear main seal....If nothing else is wrong with the engine, go back up with the pan and enjoy

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I tightened the valve cover bolts, but they keep coming loose, I just havent had time to put some thread lock on them, but I dont think that's the problem. And I checked the oil filter, thats not it. I also replaced the O-rings in the filter adapter thing recently.

I'll try and post some pics of the problem in a bit.

Thanks for your help guys,

Alex

Run your hand along the back side of the cylinder head, you may have broken the old hardened gasket when retightening and it slipped into the head surface.

I'v replaced a rear main because i couldnt believe the valve cover gasket could be leaking again... i was wrong...

alexfm

Explorer
Run your hand along the back side of the cylinder head, you may have broken the old hardened gasket when retightening and it slipped into the head surface.

I'v replaced a rear main because i couldnt believe the valve cover gasket could be leaking again... i was wrong...

well, I tightened them originally when I replaced the valve cover gasket. They've come loose a couple of times since then, and that was about 6 months ago.

I talked to dad about it earlier, and he said its probably the PCV valve is clogged, and the crank is venting through the dipstick tube. Any thoughts on that? I dont really know where to look for the PCV valve either. :Wow1: Where'd I put that manual?

K2ZJ

Explorer
well, I tightened them originally when I replaced the valve cover gasket. They've come loose a couple of times since then, and that was about 6 months ago.

I talked to dad about it earlier, and he said its probably the PCV valve is clogged, and the crank is venting through the dipstick tube. Any thoughts on that? I dont really know where to look for the PCV valve either. :Wow1: Where'd I put that manual?

You wont find one in the manual. They use a CCV, crank case ventilation system and not a pcv (note this is based of a broken ccv valve on my valve cover, there may have been a year that did use one but not on my 95). I have had the valve cover issue, it was loose on the back near the firewall, I had the leaky rear main seal, and the front of the pan issue where it runs down that trough before dripping off of the back. Clean EVERYWHERE check before and after every drive. Good luck.

alexfm

Explorer
You wont find one in the manual. They use a CCV, crank case ventilation system and not a pcv (note this is based of a broken ccv valve on my valve cover, there may have been a year that did use one but not on my 95). I have had the valve cover issue, it was loose on the back near the firewall, I had the leaky rear main seal, and the front of the pan issue where it runs down that trough before dripping off of the back. Clean EVERYWHERE check before and after every drive. Good luck.

Oh, ok. I didnt know that. Im gonna have to thoroughly degrease everything pretty soon. Anyone have any reccomendations for degreasers? The stuff is caked on pretty thick. I tried Purple Power, and it didnt do a darn thing. Tried Engine Brite today, in the Original flavor, and it didnt do much either. I may have to try the Engine Brite Gel, since I think it would "stick" better. Im gonna try and degrease the entire engine as best I can tomorrow.

Bodo

Adventurer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that our Jeeps don't have PCV. We have a CCV (constant crankcase ventilation) instead. Kinda like a PCV but without the vacuum actuated valves.

Maybe the older ones do?

Dools

Wanderer
I had the same symptom and it was the back end of the valve cover. Oil would drip down onto the manifold and I could smell burning oil from time to time. I replaced it and it still leaked then put some RTV on the cover and put into place on the new gasket and problem solved. Rear main is usually a progressive leak but by what you say I would start with the valve cover. When you take it off be sure to clean it really well with a degreaser (I use varsol) including the washers that the bolts sit in.

While you have it apart replace the two rubber grommets that the CCV sits in as they tend to crack and leak over time as well. It is much easier to do then when the cover is on the motor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles