I've asked this in the past but with new members and all, do any of you drive stock rigs?

dddonkey

Adventurer
I know that this is a LC section but I think that this applies to all makes and models of vehicles to include UTVs. There are those who mod their vehicles and use the mods, then there are the mall crawlers (posers). To each there own, as long as the owners is happy who cares, its their time and money.

I think the goal is just to get out of the house and enjoy nature in what ever you have from stock to extreme.

Boss Hog

Observer
Mine is “modified”. I bought it with 2” OME lift and BFG 31x10.5 tires (that actually measure to 30"). I added a roof basket, heavy springs on the front, and an old-school ARB bumper with a Warn 9000 winch. Not sure what, if anything I'll do next to modify it. Maybe some storage in the back...

I am not an “off-roader”, but I do drive it off-road. My mods are the bare minimum I think I need to drive and enjoy my rig in the back country. I've been toying with the idea of an engine swap, but after seeing how well the old 2F performed over 1100 miles, at least 300 offroad, I'm gonna keep the stock engine.

Incidentally, I won the “Most Original Land Cruiser” award at the CruiserFest 2018 show-n-shine!
IMG_4878.JPGIMG_5055.JPG
IMG_5025.JPG

laxtoy

Adventurer
Yeah, when I took my stock Tacoma to Alaska via as much as I could do through western Canada, I didn’t call it over landing cause I didn’t know what the hell that was!

That was 9 years ago and I did notice on that trip that I had much room to improve.

Stuck in 20 hours of a deluge in Banff with my tent practically floating is a good reason I have a rooftop tent now, along with being born and raised in Seattle, I’ve had many camping trips that weren’t dry.

After that, every mod I’ve made has been based on need imo.

Truck came with T100 rear springs so I lifted the front with tundra springs, now it’s on icons with 700 lb coils

Headlights were so bad driving at night in remote areas was downright frightening, 18 wheel trucks coming down the Alcan were lit up light Christmas trees so the lighting arms race began for me

I kept bashing the stock front bumper apart so I built my own.

Needed to get new skid plates because the stock ones couldn’t even be bolted on with how messed up they were

Sliders were a must just to be able to change a tire because the stock jack was not usable in many situations

I kept fouling my maf sensor following people on dusty forest roads and had to pull off the road and clean it, eventually destroying it, so I put on a snorkel

I needed a lumber rack for my job plus I wanted to carry my tent safely for half the year, so I built a rack.

I eventually fried my spider gears and destroyed my rear third member, so regear and arb, cause I’d also gotten used to solo tripping and help in remote areas is something you rely on.

I needed a fridge because My wife has to take medication that has to be refrigerated, then I needed dual batteries.

Now I have to build my rear bumper and fix my bed and replace my tailgate because I slammed into a tree on the trail in a tricky spot.image.jpg

It’s evolution.

Last edited:

laxtoy

Adventurer
I still have no idea what the intent of this thread is. I guess if you have to ask, you haven't been in a situation where even a lift and tires were sufficient. Sometimes armor and lockers are also necessary...:confused:
View attachment 472281
Haha, yeah, bye-bye stock running boards or nerf bars. I see that from time to time on somebody’s truck around town and you know immediately what happened

Los182

Side note: I've gotten into the habit of only reading the trip reports and other experience threads here, and mostly ignoring the builds. As you said, not throwing shade on anyone who builds... they look amazing and as a "car guy" I've wrenched my share of hobby cars and it's a ton of fun and source of pride, but I'm just in a minimalist mode now and more interested in discovering good trips and hearing about and having interesting experiences in a safe and capable vehicle.

Great advise, it's easy to lose sight of the journey and get stuck at the playground with all the shiny toys. ;)

Last edited:

Dave 2000

Vehicle is pretty much stock, including suspension and wheels/tyres.

Roof rack with tent and other odds and ends, engine cooled by electric fan. Home made wooden drawers, and fridge which I cannot be without.

Regards

Dave

CSG

Explorer
I still have no idea what the intent of this thread is. I guess if you have to ask, you haven't been in a situation where even a lift and tires were sufficient. Sometimes armor and lockers are also necessary...:confused:
View attachment 472281
The intent of the thread is pretty clear and in my OP. You're right, though, I don't "run" trails or "wheel" so I haven't been in a situation like your photo. That was why I asked what I did because most people with built rigs, based on what I've seen and read here, aren't in situations like the above, they're mostly car camping and going on gravel, dirt, or slightly rutted roads and two tracks. If that's what you do, it makes perfect sense to build a rig for that purpose.

JakeH

Adventurer
My bone stock lexus GX gets me thru snow, ice, 20 inch potholes & mud at 9000 feet after 1000 mile road trip without breaking a sweat. The only mods I plan on are some fresh ATs & maybe airbags if I give in to my wife & buy a boat. Otherwise I need nothing but gas money & sweet sweet road trip time!

ITTOG

I will be taking my brand new, 100% stock F150 off-roading over Thanksgiving week. Some of the trails are barely five feet wide so it will no longer be new after that trip.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

tatanka48

the 2002 F-350(350k+ mi) 7.3ps/auto 4x4 Super Crew 8'bed is mechanically stock just added Ranch Hand bumpers n running boards

running stock sized Michelin M/S

the bumpers have earned their initial price back several times over as they protected the sheet metal

the running boards have allowed me to remain married for over 50 years to the same vertically challenged woman

in case you don't understand what a vertically challenged woman is... when she steps off a freshly painted curb the pockets on her Wranglers turn YELLOW ;-)

it has served us well in the San Juans(most trails and up n over Engineer, Cinnamon & Stony) and running down the beach on the gulf coast (from Port A down to Mansfield Cut)

the Y2K Cherokee Classic(260k+ mi) I-6/auto 4x4 has traced most of the trails the F-350 has done running 1st oversize Geolanders w/ no mods

the Ural was bone stock

earlier ADV m/c's R1100GS, DL-650, DR-350 & KLR-650 only had racks added for carrying STUFF...

T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94