ITTOG's Truck Camper Build (was 6' x 12' Trailer Conversion)

Andrew_S

Observer
God damn! I never would have thought a grinder set on the floor could do that much damage. Hope you are back at it soon. Unreal.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Ahhh...now I see. You are using displacement at a metric. If the 3.5 was naturally asperated, displacement would matter. Add 20 pounds of boost and suddenly displacement it just a word in the dictionary...lol. The 3.5 in the Ford GT has 600HP, on pump gas, from the factory. And the Raptor has 450HP and 510 TQ... All from 3.5 little liters...lol.

If you want to smile from ear to ear everytime you drive your truck...get the Highlander/ Macgiver tunes from BCB. I promise you that you will love it...and probably kick yourself for not doing it earlier...haha.

I can see how I come off as an EcoBoost fan boy, but in all honesty I just like HP. For 600.00 you can tune either EcoBoost to be more powerful than a naturally asperated V8 in the other 1/2 ton trucks. I have a tune (a couple actually), catted down pipe, intake, and intercooler. While the mods were not "cheap" they cost far less than getting a comparable increase in HP out of a V8...and they don't wreck my fuel economy unless I get flirty with the happy peddle.

I have a 6.0 block that I'm about to start building so I can drop it in a daddy-daughter project vehicle in a few years... If anything I'm a LS fan boy...haha. ?
Weight matters in the Stang and raptor also. Especially the Raptor that breaks front end stuff in the wanabe desert racing crowd.

Nothing wrong with modern turbo engines especially with modern hard carbon metal block and heat/friction surfacing technologies.

D

Deleted member 9101

Weight matters in the Stang and raptor also. Especially the Raptor that breaks front end stuff in the wanabe desert racing crowd.

Nothing wrong with modern turbo engines especially with modern hard carbon metal block and heat/friction surfacing technologies.

Oh...most definitely. Its one of the reasons the new Ranger and Mustang come with a turbocharged four banger.

1000arms

Mine is a paddle wheel as well. I had released it but it hadn't slowed down nearly enough before making contact with the concrete. If I kept both hands on the grinder until it stopped, it would not have happened, even with all of my other stupid mistakes. Oh well, just a learning opportunity for me and a reminder for all to keep safety at the forefront.
How are you healing?

ITTOG

I am doing well. I can pretty much walk with minimal pain. I put in over 25,000 steps the past two days. As long as I don't run, jump, or carry extra weight I am good. I went to see my doc because the wound was far apart, 1/4", and was afraid it wouldn't heal for a month. He gave me five more Staples. Once the wound heals I can be unlimited in activities. This is important to prevent infection.

Thanks so much for asking.

286b2ffabe23cae627b732eb4be800d9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

1000arms

I am doing well. I can pretty much walk with minimal pain. I put in over 25,000 steps the past two days. As long as I don't run, jump, or carry extra weight I am good. I went to see my doc because the wound was far apart, 1/4", and was afraid it wouldn't heal for a month. He gave me five more Staples. Once the wound heals I can be unlimited in activities. This is important to prevent infection.

Thanks so much for asking.
I'm glad you are doing well!

You are welcome.

ITTOG

That's it? No thumbtacks, or maybe a couple of paperclips? :cool:
Nope. But I did get the staples removed today! But unfortunately, for half the wound one side of it had moved over the top of the other side so it wasn't healing properly. It was kind of like a fault line where one side is pushed up and the other side is pushed down. So it was opened up and then sutured. But, at least it is getting better.

You can see what I am talking about in this picture.

IMG_20200529_081013.jpg

The other half didn't need any stitches!
IMG_20200529_081129.jpg

1000arms

.... It was kind of like a fault line where one side is pushed up and the other side is pushed down. ...
Similar to how the Teton Range was formed. https://www.nps.gov/grte/learn/nature/mountains.htm

Have you been to Grand Teton National Park?

The Teton Range includes the mountains Grand Teton, Middle Teton, and South Teton. The national park is named after (the one and only) Grand Teton, so, Grand Teton National Park. (There isn't an "s" in the name.)

Stay safe, and keep healing!

ITTOG

I never have but I have a backpacking trip planned for August there. It is a 60 mile loop that goes right by all of those peaks. There is a trail to the Middle Teton so I hope to do it. I wish there was a trail to the Grand Teton. By looking at topo maps I guess it may be too steep to climb. Does it keep snow on the top all year long?

1590771137453.png

1000arms

I never have but I have a backpacking trip planned for August there. It is a 60 mile loop that goes right by all of those peaks. There is a trail to the Middle Teton so I hope to do it. I wish there was a trail to the Grand Teton. By looking at topo maps I guess it may be too steep to climb. Does it keep snow on the top all year long?
Good, may you be completely healed by then!

Some of the Grand Teton mountain can be hiked, but at some point, one would need to climb.

There are some phone numbers for Grand Teton NP on https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/climb.htm

Webcam, current visibility is 243 miles: https://www.nps.gov/subjects/air/webcams.htm?site=grte

ITTOG

Thanks for the links. I am not a big planner so I haven't looked at it too much. I am bummed that you have to reserve camp spots and technically are not allowed to change your pace and go to a different camp site. That kind of impacts my outlook on trips like this. A buddy that is going with me is the planner and he will have it planned to 15 minute intervals. That is almost three months so I should be good by then unless I hurt myself again. Maybe I shouldn't work on it again until after the trip. :)

1000arms

Thanks for the links. I am not a big planner so I haven't looked at it too much. I am bummed that you have to reserve camp spots and technically are not allowed to change your pace and go to a different camp site. That kind of impacts my outlook on trips like this. A buddy that is going with me is the planner and he will have it planned to 15 minute intervals. ...
I'm sure many people love reserving campsites, planning exactly when and where they will sleep, drive, eat, urinate, and defecate, but, I prefer flexibility to explore and change my plans in the moment.

ITTOG

Not much has happened since my injury but I did work a few hours on it this past weekend. Unfortunately it was all rework to account for how much this 16 gauge tubing bends when it gets hot. The piece below, with the two angled tubes going to the top has been cut out because it made that top bar sag. A LOT! I have it clamped in place and you can see on each end how it sagged. On the right it is about a 1/4" and the left is about 5/16". Thus it was cut out and replaced with a new straight piece on top. I haven't welded in new angled bracing yet. BTW, when I was cutting the right angled bar is when I hurt myself. I also had to repair the bottom bar on the two sides. The middle run on each side was bowing up in the middle. Thus I cut the two vertical bars off and rewelded to eliminate the bow.
IMG_20200531_213523.jpg

I also had problems with the cabover section dropping about 1/4". I could have left it but it annoyed me so I cut the bottom bar on each side. In the first pic you can see the cut and to get the cabover section straight there is about a 1/4" gap. I will fill this with weld and hopefully eliminate the drooping.
IMG_20200531_144744.jpgIMG_20200531_213540.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz