It's Bronc o clock

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

With Ford trying to one up Jeep in every way, which based on info, they are doing just that for the most part, and attack that pool of Jeep owners and take some of the marketshare, I would think increasing the towing capacity, knowing the wrangler has been capped off at 3500lbs since 2004, they would do just that. Just makes little sense that the shorter wheelbase 2dr can tow just as much as the 4dr when its built on a Ranger platform and the ranger can tow significantly more once they add the max tow package and it bumps up to a higher class hitch and the 2.7EB.

Based on preliminary data, of 2k+ Bronco reservations, over 30% are current or previous jeep owners.

If that means compromising on some of its offroad ability, which may or may not be necessary, I don’t feel thats a big ask. Hell 90% of the Bronco owners wont be doing anything more than daily driving, dirt roads, fire trails etc that suburus could do. 1% will be extreme offroading and those other 9% will be on the same trails as my f150 or grand cherokee (if we cancel our reservation).

My hope is that Ford had to stick those numbers in there as placeholders and haven’t had a chance to truly test its towing yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phsycle

Adventurer
).

My hope is that Ford had to stick those numbers in there as placeholders and haven’t had a chance to truly test its towing yet.

? ? With the number of years this has been rumored, I certainly hope not! I’d be surprised if it hasn’t been thoroughly tested. They don’t just shove numbers out the door just because.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

With the number of years this has been rumored, I certainly hope not! I’d be surprised if it hasn’t been thoroughly tested. They don’t just shove numbers out the door just because.

Well they kind of shoved the release, marketing materials, some other fine details regarding packages/options out the door along with the prototypes that are running around town here in Denver getting closeup pictures snapped and have still failed to loop dealerships in 100% of the process and the fine print. So Im still hopeful!

javajoe79

Fabricator
When towing capacity often boils down to something as simple as different springs, shocks and a hitch, why is everyone so hung up on that?

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

When towing capacity often boils down to something as simple as different springs, shocks and a hitch, why is everyone so hung up on that?

Because Ford hasn’t clarified yet as to what the optional tow package includes but you can click on other packages and see the info. Why would one need a anti-sway bar for towing 3500lbs? How can a 2/4 door base model tow 3500lbs but then if you add the sasquatch package (different springs, shocks, etc) which would typically reduce your towing capacity, you can still tow 3500lbs. Im going with, they haven’t fully tested the towing yet and that number that states subject to change, will be increased.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Does anyone know if the Bronco uses a mechanical or electric cooling fan?

We know Jeep put a lot of effort in Gladiator's cooling to get its tow rating. The Ranger, with the 2.3, uses a mechanical cooling fan. Fairly rare nowadays outside of 3/4+ ton trucks. My guess, with the smaller grille opening (compared to F150), an electric fan is not enough.

So if the Bronco uses an e-fan, then that might be why it can't tow higher. It's more difficult to cool a turbo engine than the Jeep's NA engine (due to intercooler heat load).

roving1

Because that won't change the cool GVWR sticker on the vehicle or the GCVWR in the manual and if the limitation is thermal load related and not chassis related those things are not going to help you at all.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

We know Jeep put a lot of effort in Gladiator's cooling to get its tow rating. The Ranger, with the 2.3, uses a mechanical cooling fan. Fairly rare nowadays outside of 3/4+ ton trucks. My guess, with the smaller grille opening (compared to F150), an electric fan is not enough.

So if the Bronco uses an e-fan, then that might be why it can't tow higher. It's more difficult to cool a turbo engine than the Jeep's NA engine (due to intercooler heat load).

But they may not have figured it out enough for the diesel gladiator with the significant decrease in tow rating. Obviously there is a weight difference of the engine but not 1600lbs worth.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Because Ford hasn’t clarified yet as to what the optional tow package includes but you can click on other packages and see the info. Why would one need a anti-sway bar for towing 3500lbs? How can a 2/4 door base model tow 3500lbs but then if you add the sasquatch package (different springs, shocks, etc) which would typically reduce your towing capacity, you can still tow 3500lbs. Im going with, they haven’t fully tested the towing yet and that number that states subject to change, will be increased.

Or they're not inclined to max out the rating when 95% of the owners aren't towing anything near that heavy.

javajoe79

Fabricator

everything new Ford that I've seen has a PWM electric fan on it. The modern brushless PWM fans are extremely powerful and quiet when not at full speed. If the ranger has a mechanical fan though I'd guess the Bronco would too. Typically engine driven fans move more air but not with the modern E fans these days. The intercooler heat soaking would be a different issue. At speed, a fan doesn't do much.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Because that won't change the cool GVWR sticker on the vehicle or the GCVWR in the manual and if the limitation is thermal load related and not chassis related those things are not going to help you at all.
Any thermal load issues are easy to address as well. This won't be the first production vehicle to need some improvements from stock to be a dependable tow vehicle. IMO though, if you need more towing capacity, you're buying the wrong vehicle if you want to do a lot of towing at or near the rated capacity.

85_Ranger4x4

Yeah, the Ranger had issues in development staying cool. The truck was designed mainly for diesels with mechanical fans not boosted 4cyl gassers and they had problems getting enough air in the little grille to cool it so they went old school with a real fan.

Being a clean sheet design I would think they made the grille opening big enough to cool whatever with the Bronco.

Another thing is warranty claims. The diesel gladiator may not be rated as much because they don't think it will stay together well towing that much weight.

The old Rangers, a manual had about half the tow rating as an automatic. Same frame/brakes/springs whatever so it was not a safety thing. Ford didn't want to be replacing clutches under warranty. There is more to it than just springs and crap, although for an offroad vehicle I suppose the Bronco is going to suffer... just like most offroad oriented vehicles (Wrangler, Raptor, Power Wagon etc)

billiebob

Just makes little sense that the shorter wheelbase 2dr can tow just as much as the 4dr when its built on a Ranger platform and the ranger can tow significantly more once they add the max tow package
If Ford gave the Bronco the same suspension as the Ranger it would tow the same weight. But the Bronco is built for bigger rubber, has higher clearances and articulation capabilities and is built for more extreme off roading than the Ranger. The Bronco would lose that off road ability if you want it to tow the same as as the Ranger.

Wheelbase really has zero effect on towing capability.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Yeah, the Ranger had issues in development staying cool. The truck was designed mainly for diesels with mechanical fans not boosted 4cyl gassers and they had problems getting enough air in the little grille to cool it so they went old school with a real fan.

Being a clean sheet design I would think they made the grille opening big enough to cool whatever with the Bronco.

Another thing is warranty claims. The diesel gladiator may not be rated as much because they don't think it will stay together well towing that much weight.

The old Rangers, a manual had about half the tow rating as an automatic. Same frame/brakes/springs whatever so it was not a safety thing. Ford didn't want to be replacing clutches under warranty. There is more to it than just springs and crap, although for an offroad vehicle I suppose the Bronco is going to suffer... just like most offroad oriented vehicles (Wrangler, Raptor, Power Wagon etc)
bingo.. all of that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles