its a shame....

BTW $200 wont get you scrap in the UK, many old landrovers are being weighed in for scrap its currently £120 per vehicle slightly more if you drive it in

I know 2 farmers that have cleared their scrap piles of old cars/landrovers/fourtracks & machinery as money is tight and the scrap value is high

regards all

gren

thats pretty sad

and what i figured is that if i could find a good running series that is pretty bad cosmetic wise, i would look at buying that truck because a lot of the cosmetic stuff looked good. body panels are clean and straight and what not. also i would definitely think about a galvanized chassis

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
That's a parts rig. You could probably go as high as $500, if you stripped it down and parted it out you would come out about even. Depends on the market in your area.

My own Series III was in worse condition, and I did manage to sell enough parts off of it to recoup the initial investment. Then I promptly dumped many thousands of dollars into it, and it's still a pile of parts.

As I've said before, the best advice I got (and didn't take) was to buy the best Series you can afford. I would happily be putting around town right now if I had've taken that advice. At a certain point you reach "beyond economical repair". The big parts are expensive, but the small parts on a rig that far gone will nickel and dime you to death.

Bullsnake

Adventurer
OT, but the vehicle may have an emotional attachment that he isn't willing to let go at any price. We had a guy here locally that graduated a few years ahead of me with a MINT Super Bee. He ended up getting killed by an IED about four years ago while overseas and the car hasn't turned a wheel since. Everyone in our small town knows the story and wouldn't dare ask him about selling it, but occasionally there is scuttlebutt down at the elevator by the old timers about some outsider stopping by this guys house and a shouting match that inevitably followed at the unknowing individual that was asking an honest question about the cars sale status. Not rational, and he could avoid the issue by moving the car, but rational or not that was where his son parked the car the night before he was deployed and it more than likely won't move as long as the guy is alive.

Definitely not saying this is the case, but there may be more than meets the eye to that old truck...

Yorker

Adventurer
Why? If something is beyond saving, scrapping is a great option.

Because a lot of stuff scrapped is NOT beyond saving. I've seen nicer 88's than this one crushed when the price of scrap was way up.

$200 is too little to offer for it- the person who owns it apparently has an emotional attachment to it or an irrational idea of what it is worth. You'd likely need to offer more to get them to budge- it is worth a try though. I missed out on a beautiful seriues III 88" once because I assumed they'd want too much for it, eventually it went a way and only later did I find out I could have had it for free had I asked. Obviously this one isn't going for nothing but if you really feel you must have it offer some $.

Because a lot of stuff scrapped is NOT beyond saving. I've seen nicer 88's than this one crushed when the price of scrap was way up.

$200 is too little to offer for it- the person who owns it apparently has an emotional attachment to it or an irrational idea of what it is worth. You'd likely need to offer more to get them to budge- it is worth a try though. I missed out on a beautiful seriues III 88" once because I assumed they'd want too much for it, eventually it went a way and only later did I find out I could have had it for free had I asked. Obviously this one isn't going for nothing but if you really feel you must have it offer some $.

yea i havent offered any money for it yet, i just asked if it was for sale. maybe next time i am out there i will offer some cash.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I've parted a few series trucks and in my opinion, based on the pictures and it's location, it's a $500 truck. It's either a parts truck or a candidate for a new frame and bulkhead work. Look at it this way, in many parts of the world this is the same as a beat F-150 work truck to us here in the US. To many, the romance of owning a series is far different than the reality. Just go into it with eyes wide open!

I've parted a few series trucks and in my opinion, based on the pictures and it's location, it's a $500 truck. It's either a parts truck or a candidate for a new frame and bulkhead work. Look at it this way, in many parts of the world this is the same as a beat F-150 work truck to us here in the US. To many, the romance of owning a series is far different than the reality. Just go into it with eyes wide open!

very very true. i am actually looking into selling/trading my disco for a down payment for a defender

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94