Isuzu NPS 4x4

Desert Lovers

hello every one my first time on here i'm thinking of buying a NPS 65/45-155 4x4 2020 new one and putting a pop up home on the back l was wondering if any one has had one of these vehicles in soft sand like Frazer island or in the Simpson Desert would welcome any comments about these trucks l have also looked at the canter don't like the dpf much on them the Isuzu now has a DOC system I feel the canter is a better performer in the scrub and sand with its thornton type rear lsd 70% lock up

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The Isuzu and Fuso trucks are both very capable trucks.
I have a 2010 FG84, but if I were buying a new truck today it would be the Isuzu, as I believe it is notably better than the current model Fuso.
If you plan on doing a lot of sand work, you might want to look at an ATB diff centre for the front, but you don't really need one.

Desert Lovers

thanks skifreak I have driven ATW big rig NPS which has been mapped goes like a rocket and also have driven the green Toy duel cab canter that the fuso people have up the sunshine coast need a set ladder to get into it appreciate your help

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
One thing to bear in mind is that the standard suspension on these trucks is woeful when it comes to comfort.
If you are not planning on getting a free spinal readjustment or having your fillings dislodged, upgrading the suspension is pretty much mandatory.

Desert Lovers

yep thank you I'm hearing you was thinking of ATW parabolic springs but only on the front drove the canter with up graded ssa springs and All terrain warriors with there parabolic on the nps over the exact same very rough ground and the parabolic were much better but they are longer than the canter which would help I guess

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
the parabolic were much better but they are longer than the canter which would help I guess
Comparing the ride if the two are different vehicles is not going to give you a realistic appraisal.
As you say, the springs on the Canter are shorter than those on the Isuzu, so will respond quite differently.

Desert Lovers

Yep very true hope to make up my mind soon so i can get on with the build had the troopy out in simpson desert few times now and it goes well and no lsd or lockers with it so Nps should be good with it

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
The longer the springs the better and the larger the tyre profile the better.
The best sand tyre will be the Michelin 325/85R16 MXL (second hand ex military at about $500 each) that wear out in 30,000km on the black top or next best is 305/70R19.5 Michelin XDE2 that last a very long time. :)
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Desert Lovers

The longer the springs the better and the larger the tyre profile the better.
The best sand tyre will be the Michelin 325/85R16 MXL (second hand ex military at about $500 each) that wear out in 30,000km on the black top or next best is 305/70R19.5 Michelin XDE2 that last a very long time. :)
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
Thanks peter was thinking of going 17" rims and 37" tyres from either AAV or ATW

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Thanks peter was thinking of going 17" rims and 37" tyres from either AAV or ATW
17"are becoming popular on OKAs too. There is an increasing choice of tyres available. They are not an option for me because of their limited weight rating, but may be fine for you depending on the GVM and axle ratings of your rig.
The 326/85R16 XMLs are good for 2.2T per tyre. The 305/70R19.5 XDE2s are good for almost 3.1T per tyre. I think the 17" ones I have seen are about 1.7T per tyre.
Cheers,
Peter

Desert Lovers

yes you are pretty close with the ratings the tyres i'm thinking of are Patriot MT's 37x12.5R17 131Q (1950Kg @160Kph) and the truck will be registered with a GVM of 6.5tonn hopefully that will work
by the way I love your goanna looks great

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
You need to have tyres that equal or exceed the maximum axle rating. You are probably OK with the 131Q. My GVM is 6.6T, but the axle ratings are 2.8T and 3.8T, so a tyre rating of 1.9T (half of 3.8T) is the minimum that I can use but I prefer a good margin over that.
My niece painted the Goulds Goanna :)
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
On a road the weights over the wheels/tyres may not change that that much, but that cannot be said for traveling off-road.
If your back end goes into a deep wheel rut, the weight will shift significantly over that rear wheel. Dynamic weight should also be assessed differently than static weight.

This may not be seen an issue by some, but I believe it is something that should be considered.
As Peter has eluded to, a good safety margin is definitely not a bad thing.

Desert Lovers

On a road the weights over the wheels/tyres may not change that that much, but that cannot be said for traveling off-road.
If your back end goes into a deep wheel rut, the weight will shift significantly over that rear wheel. Dynamic weight should also be assessed differently than static weight.

This may not be seen an issue by some, but I believe it is something that should be considered.
As Peter has eluded to, a good safety margin is definitely not a bad thing.
I see where you are coming from sure is a lot to consider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles