Isuzu NPR or Hino. Why not build on these?

rohat

Why are Isuzu or Hino's not used for platforms to build upon? I know they do not make 4x4 in North America but they seem like a great option for accessible parts and gas (not diesel). What am I missing? They are everywhere in Canada and seem to manage just fine through a foot of snow and reliable enough to be delivery trucks for our harsh winters.

What say you?

yb0815

I am with you thinking the same. I actually have a 1992 Hino 1817 just two wheel drive. Got it for a good price, and like the idea of not having any electronics. At present it is in storage as I am doing research on what to put on the back.
But I see very little input on Hino or Isuzu on this forum. I have found a couple of people using these as converted Box trucks on FB.

Attachments

• Left Front View Hino FB.jpg
    Left Front View Hino FB.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 38

rohat

I am with you thinking the same. I actually have a 1992 Hino 1817 just two wheel drive. Got it for a good price, and like the idea of not having any electronics. At present it is in storage as I am doing research on what to put on the back.
But I see very little input on Hino or Isuzu on this forum. I have found a couple of people using these as converted Box trucks on FB.
What a great looking truck!! I also posted asking forum if 4x4 is actually necessary. I'm leaning toward no and simply having slip differential with raised clearance will be enough for my purposes. BTW, the Fuso has a larger GVWR as well as I'm told much heavier drive train than the the Isuzu, this coming from a dealer who sells both.

Smileyshaun

Observer
I’ve driven both over the years doing delivery work and would think you would have to dump some serious money into suspension to make it remotely comfortable on even a bumpy gravel road . But the good turning radius For its size might be a advantage .

billiebob

Fabulous vehicles and priced right too. Some might have high mileage but commercial vehicles are built to be driven lots. I would get a mechanical inspection before buying one. Since you are sitting on top of the axle the ride will be more pronounced than a typical pickup but the ones I have driven were not uncomfortable.

rohat

I’ve driven both over the years doing delivery work and would think you would have to dump some serious money into suspension to make it remotely comfortable on even a bumpy gravel road . But the good turning radius For its size might be a advantage .
thats good to know. thanks!

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Never driven a NPR. But we have several customers that have a camper under construction on this platform at ITB in Surry BC. I assume they all did their homework before making the purchase.

D

Deleted member 9101

What a great looking truck!! I also posted asking forum if 4x4 is actually necessary. I'm leaning toward no and simply having slip differential with raised clearance will be enough for my purposes. BTW, the Fuso has a larger GVWR as well as I'm told much heavier drive train than the the Isuzu, this coming from a dealer who sells both.

4x4 is only as necessary as you make it.

gregmchugh

Observer
Look at the license plate. I believe that is an Aussie truck.

Yes, it is clearly a right hand drive but the cassette door is not next to the entry door as is typical of the EC with the bath/toilet at the entryway. Just was wondering about the unusual floor plan which may have been used in the past...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles