Isuzu NPR Camper

DzlToy

Explorer
I have converted my 1999 GMC W4500 into a toy hauler and a custom work vehicle, specific for my business. I wanted a robust, reliable and tough toy hauler/work truck with no down time. Inside the box is simple and comfortable in design. All the electrical, plumbing is mostly marine grade, the stove is a 375 lb commercial grade 30" gas stove; I like to really cook and the RV stoves and most of the RV equipment just don't cut it for me. My 16ft box has a 1600lb lift gate, one side doors with custom aluminium steps, insulated with 1/2 inch plywood that is completely sealed against moister (used a high quality oil paint). A 30,000 btu heater and roughneck air conditioner. For extra noise and cold weather insulation, I place insulation blankets over the doors and ceiling vents. Yes it is an overkill, but I am hard, not abusive, on my equipment and spend 3/4 of my work time in my truck.

I am in a process of building a 2004 GMC W5500 with roughly same configuration, since I have written offf my 1999 GMC w4500 late last year in a MVA.

Found this thread doing research on composite panels, but I would be interested to see a build thread, pics or videos of your truck(s).

julius0377

Adventurer
Would I have starting problems with a diesel in 20 to 30 degree winter weather?
No direct knowledge of the Izusu (or similar size), but here are some thoughts based on experience with larger trucks as well as normal 4x4 vehicles.

In my parts of the world we regularly hit -20 and sometimes -30 in winter times. Cold starting trucks:

* It may take a long time when at the coldest part of the scale, much longer than you think (minutes, not seconds). A good set of batteries with full charge is vital.
* Let the engine run at low rpm's for a while so oil reaches the "far depths" of the engine and turbo, as well as getting an even temperature so parts fit together like they should.
* If starting in extreme cold is a frequent happening, and not only 2-3 times that one time you went to the cold place. Invest in a water heater (webasto/eberspacher) to heat the engine before starts. This gets the cab nice and comfy real quick, as well as reduces wear on the engine. It also keeps your batteries from draining if you drive short trips where you can not charge them fully (less power used to start). The water heater will in addition be able to be used as a backup heater for both camper and varm water for personal use with a heat exchanger in the mix.
* Make sure you purchase Diesel from the area you are driving in at the time you are driving there. Most stations in the world will have additives in the diesel to prevent clogging and the formation of wax crystals in the fuel lines. If I fill up my tank in the summer and leave the camper expecting to use it in winter, I've got a surprise coming.
* Install a heated water separator along the fuel line. It heats the fuel on the way from the tank, as well as remove water if you filled from a contaminated source of diesel. Follow this link for a manufacturer of heated fuel filters: Racor fuel filters
* If traveling in the most extreme of cold temperatures (siberia in winter, etc.) a diesel cold start system from Beru/BorgWarner is a good piece of kit, it quickly heats the essential parts of the engine using a diesel flame for cold starts. Electrical systems are also available: Beru

mangchi

Most of these trucks come with a cargo body. Is there any reason to not just frame in interior with 2x4 studs interior panels as opposed to making a custom box or putting a trailer camper on the bed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DzlToy

Explorer
Stock cargo boxes, with framing and insulation will be heavy compared to a box made from honeycomb or foam based sandwich/cored panels. Many cargo boxes have a translucent plastic top and roll up doors or French doors in the rear. These doors do not seal well and are heavy. The roof is light, but offers no insulation or sound damping. So, these will need to be completely rebuilt or replaced.

If you have the ability to glue Filon to a sheet of XPS and cut, glue/weld some channel or angle pieces, you can build an incredibly lightweight camper without much work.

mangchi

Quick question: most of these npr trucks come with a cargo box attached. Is there a reason why one should not frame the inside of the existing boxes with wood studs and interior panels, and maybe closed cell spray foam to seal and insulate gaps with either traditional insulation or all closed cell foam? The closed cell foam would also help with structural strength a bit.

mangchi

Looks like I double posted. Wrote the first post while in elevator and it didnt look like it actually posted.

Lookin into filon. It just felt like it would be an eaiser build if you utilize the exisiting cargo box, assuming it has a leak proof exterior already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne