Isuzu FTS700 'Wicked Turtle'

BLC392

When I should be doing other things, idle hands.

Do these new boots make me look fat?

Couldn't resist to see how the new shoes look all round

That's enough daydreaming, now back to cleaning......................

4x4coaster

Adventurer
Haven’t been on this forum for a while but enjoying your build story. Attention to detail and good story telling! Great combination. Keep the updates coming.

BLC392

Thanks 4x4coaster, compliments gratefully appreciated. Update as requested.

Quick, look busy, the boss is watching!!

After what seemed to be an eternity (the boss has questioned ‘What have you been doing in the shed? For so long?).

The camper is now sitting on the chassis. Fixed rear mount in place and spring loaded front mounts (well, almost) done .

Rear fixed mount, based on tipper hinge concept. Picture also shows rear winch and recovery points.

Travel mode.

The space between the camper and cabin allows for spare wheel storage. The travel height of the camper allows for solar panels and rack system without exceeding the cabin height. I worked on the theory that ‘if the cabin can get through, so can the camper’.

Camper setup. Watch your step!

Back to looking busy for the boss………………………………………..

Brenie

They don't normally come with rear shockers, are you planning on fitting some ? One of my designs for fitting the body to my FTS750 was to hinge the front like yours, but put air springs on the back, giving the ability to adjust the height and travel of the body, anyhoo, I didn't go through with it, using conical rubber mounts instead, but interesting to see yours.

BLC392

Hi Brenie,

I also considered the fitment of air springs for the camper mounts, but believed that the mounting system was becoming overly complicated, my approach is the old KISS method.

Original thought

KISS

I plan on fitting rear shocks, but haven't reached that point in the build.

Looking at these, but if anyone has other options, that would be appreciated.

B

SkiFreak

Crazy Person

Looking at these, but if anyone has other options, that would be appreciated.
So... if the shocks on my truck go missing I will know where to start looking. ;)

BLC392

Use the force Luke…………or is that Brendan

A major parameter within the project was to source many of the components from ‘over the counter’, so that should a problem occur, the replacement part is readily available. But, alas, there as somethings that cannot be avoided.

Having had 4WD’s in the past, the task of fitting a winch, or fuel tank or spare wheel carrier was as easy as scooting down to the local 4WD accessories store, seeing what was available, handing over the hard earned cash and spending the weekend fitting the new accessory(s). Simple.

When one takes on these types of projects, there is a lot of fore thought and head scratching??? One does not simply walk into the local 4WD accessories store and order a spare wheel carrier for Isuzu with camper, suitable for super singles.

In trying to keep within the KISS mantra, I may have Completely Over Complicated Kiss Engineering Design Utilitarian Process?

The area between the camper and the cab is for the spare wheels. Locating these at the rear of the camper would require these to be lowered every time the camper is setup. Taking up where I intend to have a shower/toilet area below the extended bed end.

The super singles are definitely not go kart wheels, each weighing approximately 140kg. Lifting one of these up to the height of the chassis and locating it within the rack, is out of the question.

With my propeller hat on, the cogs slowly turned, ‘Keep It Simple Stupid’ sounding in the background.

1563758585868.png
And……………………….

It does have an additional benefit in that it provides a mounting point for the HF Radio antenna.

1563758619571.png

1563758646773.png
Wheel goes up, wheel goes down.

Use the force Luke or is that Brendan.

The truck is fitted with electric hydraulic pump that operates the cab lift system. I plan to utilise this to operate the hydraulic ram that will raise and lower the carrier swing arms.

The jury is still out on the wheel mount arm, and the proposal to replace this with a worm drive winch and strap.

Still have the propeller hat on…………………………………

BLC392

WOW!! Haven’t I dropped the ball, last post back in July………………….2019!! A continuing performance like that will get me benched.

So, what have I been up to? The old 2 steps forward, one step back shuffle.

I started on the brakes with the intention of servicing the cylinders and throwing it all back together. Don’t know what dream I was in, what was I thinking.

With a start on the front brakes, one thing lead to another and, I swear officer, it was like that when I got here. I completely rebuilt the front and rear, rebuilt wheel cylinders, rebuilt maxi brakes, new shoes and drums, new bearings and seals.

And while I was there I repined and bushed the springs. Why, because I had nothing else to do. Yeah Right!!

1589189120274.png
'I swear Officer, it was like this when i got here'.

With the front completely disassembled, new tie rod ends fitted and draglink rebuilt.

Well, that seems not a lot of work for the time I’ve been lax in my updates.

The camper was removed from the truck chassis and water tank mounts and tanks fitted, with a total drinking water supply of 200lt+.

I also wasn’t happy with the camper to truck chassis rear mount with a single pin(bar). I modified the set up to two pins (one on each side). This allows for easier access to the rear winch controls and opens up the area above the winch for a bike rack receiver.

I’ve also been tidying up a few small jobs. It is surprising the number of small fiddly jobs that seem to get relinquished to ‘I’ll do that later’, only to realise that if I had completed them at the time of starting, each little job would no doubt take a few minutes to finish. That seemed to be a lot better use of time?

I’m currently in the middle of 12/24v wiring, and that is a time killer. Not much to see, unless you’re interested in crimped lugs, split tubing and cable ties.

On a completely different note, whilst we are all amid isolation, restrictions and lockdowns, the New Year almost didn’t happen.

I live on the far south coast of NSW, Australia. New Year’s eve came with a bang, or should I say a Fire Storm. With all the warnings on the radio, tv and phone, we watched a glow coming towards us at about 4am. At about lunchtime NYE, it hit. And did it HIT! It came within about 100 or so metres from us, on the other side of the creek. With a timely predicted southerly, we had avoided a nightmare. Whilst I can say that we got out of the whole ordeal relatively unscathed, so many others didn’t.

With the fires taking out power in the region, all the gear was pulled from the shed and camper, and we made camp in the house. At least we were prepared for the long haul. Generator and solar panels powered the fridges, freezer and charged the batteries. Our first taste of restricted movement outside of the house with roads closed due to falling trees and damage.

In the following days we learnt that Amanda’s (wife) office had been hit and burnt to the ground.

Life continues.

So until the next update, and with the current global situation please take care, look after yourself and those around you and stay safe………………...

And here's to 2021, because 2020 is up the croc infested creek without a paddle in a barbed wire canoe.

Back to working remotely or is the remotely working?

BLC392

One giant leaf pack for mankind, one broken leaf for me.

The rear leaf spring pack incorporates a load pack, as this is no longer required and I need the space for mudguard mounts, the load pack had to go. Also the main pack has a broken leaf.

It has to be said that 100+ years of a simplistic design, leaves and U-bolts requires not a great deal of maintenance. The term minimal or maintenance free should ring alarm bells when endeavouring to undo years of 'you don't need to touch those ever again'. Simply undoing the U-bolts and whipping out the leaf pack went something like this...................
1604886558612.png

1604886783749.png
Well that's one side down, one to go

New Ubolts and centrebolts on order. With the springs out, broken leaf replaced, new bushes and pins installed.

Springing back to remotely working.

BLC392

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!!

Hi Timod110,
When I started the project, I did say Xmas, but that was a couple of years ago, but I am closer to the finish than I am from starting this obsession.

The rear suspension and mudguards with spray suppressor done, mudflaps to be installed.

It drives, it steers, and it stops!!

1607299017386.png
I drove it to our letterbox and back, 50 metres and nothing fell off. That’s a good start.

Now back to that Christmas list
  • Egg Nog
  • Christmas Ham
  • Mirrors
  • Paint front guards, grab handles and steps
  • Bull bar and winch install
  • Electrical system for camper
  • Fuel Tank protection plates
  • Check off the ‘Reasons for rejection’ list from the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator Inspection Manual.
Santa's sleigh may be a tad overloaded.

BLC392

A Dinosaur in a Digital World?

As I’m nearing the business end of our expedition truck, the finer details to completion seem to take the long winding path.

I have endeavoured to remain on the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle path. A path that has had some detours and speed bumps along the way. I must say that I have a perfectly fine 4wd parked in my garage that is more than capable of towing a camper trailer and traversing the many destinations on offer from the southern tip of Tasmania to the tip of the Cape York, as far west as Steep Point to the shores of Byron Bay (albeit, this maybe shorter due to Cape Byron copping an absolute flogging from the recent storms). The fact that I have chosen to build an expedition truck seems somewhat contradictory to this path.

The truck platform itself lends itself to the heart of KISS, no electric windows, no electronic climate control, no electric mirrors, no electronic suspension control, and no electronic engine management system. As some would say an automotive dinosaur. A dinosaur that has minimal points of failure that allows this user to fault find and rectify. A Catastrophic failure, well that’s a showstopper in anyone’s book, but with regular inspections and maintenance the instance of these types of failures should be mitigated. Yes, I do have spares for systems that would potentially slow us down, but with repairs carried out without the need for a diagnostic computer or logging into an app.

As the reliance on apps, smart systems and internet increases, our own ability to fault find and rectify is greatly impeded, leaving ourselves and vehicle to the whim of the elements. I recently watched a YouTube episode 4XOverland with Andrew St Pierre White regarding the new Land Rover. I hold no allegiance to the channel, I generally watch most with elements relating to mechanical, 4wding, boating and fishing. One comment that has stuck in my mind was the bonnet should have a sticker ‘No user serviceable parts inside’. Add this to the Canning Stock Route or some other remote location where vehicle recovery would be a logistical and financial nightmare, thus reinforcing my belief in the KISS principle.

It is the comment ‘No user serviceable parts inside’ that has me thinking on my next step as I near the finish line. Powering the camper, AGM vs Lithium, the management system, cost vs benefit, limiting points of failure, system redundancies, and the ability to fault find and rectify.

Without starting a debate (I think I already have) do I (we) need the ‘fancy’ ‘all the bells and whistles’ that the 12volt industry is saying we need in order to power our fridge’s and lights? Why do I need a switch panel located in my camper that is connected to my smart phone so I can turn my lights on and off by my phone when I can simply reach up and turn the light off. I don’t have my home lights connected to my phone to turn on and off.

Are these fully loaded battery and management systems a competition between the end users to see who has the biggest…………….battery?

KISS still ringing in my ears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles