Isuzu Elf 150 4x4 Camper/RV

pattersonimages

Adventurer
OK, I know its no Fuso.. but I have been hunting for a platform/or camper to replace what I started and could not finish with my JDM Canter/fuso a few years ago. I've found another Japan Market Isuzu 4x4 rv.. based on the 1.5T elf platform. 3.1L NA engine, locking hubs, bathroom with porta pottie, stove, 12/100v fridge, loads of storage,sleeps 4-6.. 16" rims front and back, running single tires in the rear as well. ( super hard to find in the ELF's from Japan.. strange rim sizes, and sometimes smaller rim duallies in the rear.)

Anyone from AUZ that has seen, and worked on these give me the +/- of ownership?

The one I found has just under 100,000km.. no rust, and seems to be in great shape. Just coming legal for Canadian Import here in April... Pretty much ready to pull the trigger....

a few more photos:

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r154/pattersonimages/1996%20elf%204x4%20camper/

26.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited:

LukeH

Adventurer
A guy on a French forum I follow had a lovely hard sided pop up camper custom built onto one of these elf 4x4 thingies. He put it up for sale only 6 months later. He's lost a packet on it.
They're ok to drive, the lack of turbo makes them unreactive to throttle, they just plug along.
Brilliant on tarred road covered in snow, it turned out to be absolutely horrible on even the smoothest of pistes. The suspension is configured for road use (limited travel and hard bump stops) and the tyres are too close to their maximal load.
If you're allowed to lift and put on some stronger tyres that can run at a variety of pressures, it could become a decent platform.
Stock, it's a basic utility vehicle for the average street worker. Ride wasn't a design priority.
I should imagine the seller has other things on his mind at the moment; and maybe the import controls might have extra tests since the 11 march.
Hope this helps.

kjmickelson

crew cab dreaming

Hey there. Fellow BC guy here in Victoria. I would like a crew cab 4x4 cab over for a camper. In searching I also was looking at these JDM ones. A couple of questions:

What kind of GVW is that Elf you show rated for?

Are any of the Elfs, or Canters close to the 14500 lbs that an FG or FE or NPR are?

Did you ever come across any auto 4x4s or all they all 5spds?

Any thoughts on who, or how to buy one of these JDMs? Any particular web sites or companies in Canada to deal with? I kept writing Japan Partner but never got any answers to my emails...Made me feel very skeptical of the site.

Thanks
Kevin

pattersonimages

Adventurer
Jdm

PM me and I can detail who I have imported through in the past. I have seen many config's over the past few years out of Japan on many different base vehicles. AUTO or 5 spd, some based on the smaller ELF 4x4, some on the larger version/s (250) . A few on the full size Canter FG's
Many others based on Toyota DYNA's, Nissan Atlas and HOMY's and similar rigs..

westyss

Explorer
Hey there. Fellow BC guy here in Victoria. I would like a crew cab 4x4 cab over for a camper. In searching I also was looking at these JDM ones. A couple of questions:

What kind of GVW is that Elf you show rated for?

Are any of the Elfs, or Canters close to the 14500 lbs that an FG or FE or NPR are?

Did you ever come across any auto 4x4s or all they all 5spds?

Any thoughts on who, or how to buy one of these JDMs? Any particular web sites or companies in Canada to deal with? I kept writing Japan Partner but never got any answers to my emails...Made me feel very skeptical of the site.

Thanks
Kevin

Just a word of caution about these older canters, and Im sure Pattersonimages can attest to the sheer lack of power from these trucks, I took one for a test drive and it was obvious to me that the canter I drove would be a slow drive if you head into the mountains, now I dont drive fast but that truck was woefully guttless to the point that trying to go at least the speed limit would be near impossible. here's the one I drove, right hand, does it look familiar Pattersonimages? non turbo, but can be put on, maybe the Oz guys know how to get some power out of these.
230795_2%5B1%5D.jpg

pattersonimages

Adventurer
Canter

You bet it looks familliar - that one used to live just down the street from me! Yes, the non - turbo Canters are quite gutless.. but have a crazy amount of pull to them! I suppose its all in what you want to do with the camper, and where you want to travel. I'd say for me, at least for the next couple of years 70% of my driving would be on pavement, and pretty well maintained forest service roads.. No more than 30% of that time would be quite "off-track"

Realistically I am looking for something with the comforts of home that myself, wife, and kid can all hop in and go enjoy the outdoors.. If we decide that a more "off-road" or powerfull rig is needed, at that point in time I am sure at least we will have worked out the bugs on exactly what it is we need to make our dreams happen.

Quite honestly, whoever ended up with That Canter you have shown got it for a steal. For the low km's and shape of that, and the price, it would have been well worth importing a turbo kit from oz, and getting a set of rims made..

westyss

Explorer
I agree, it was a good price when I looked at it, and I had some great ideas for it, drove to Squamish twice from Abbotsford to check it out, but in the end it wouldn't fit my life style that I was looking for. I am glad for whoever bought it as for a local travel machine would have been perfect I just couldn't see myself trying to get up the Coquihalla Highway in full camping , fishing mode for the weekend in it. Compared to the newer FG's, no match.

VicHanson

Adventurer
Looks really nice! I'm happy with my NPR with a truck camper on it for the most part, but the pass through into the cab would be really great. It looks like a really clean and functional camper. Have you made a decision on it yet? I just realized what NA stands for. I don't know what mine weighs but it definitely lacks power, even with the turbo (I think it is 135hp if I remember right). It is fine 95% of the time but is slow going in the mountains. However that is more of a problem for the people behind me than it is for me!

Vic

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles