Issues with Inka Outdoors

Pathfinder7

I'm trying to determine whether I want a trailer or a Habitat Topper but either way I'm leaning more to buying used. If I can find something clean that has most of my wish list then why would I waste a year or more of my life waiting for a new one? I haven't bought a new vehicle since 2004 so can't see buying new in this instance either.

Buying used is the way to go if you can find what you're looking for. I searched for a good year while doing research, but the few used ones that popped up were gone within the week. Best of luck whichever route you choose.

QQQ

Wow, trying to keep 10% because your company isn't run well enough to keep production on time?? with all the people building trailers one would think you wouldn't want to cheat customers and risk bad press.

Pathfinder7

Has he reached out to you since he posted on here?

No, there has been no communication and I don’t expect any at this point. The only chance I have now is to involve the damned, dirty lawyers. It’s pretty dumb, but I don’t really have another option if I want my money back.

jadmt

ignore button user
Sounds like a company with a freaking drug problem. I would not have waited this long to get a lawyer involved.

Pathfinder7

Sounds like a company with a freaking drug problem. I would not have waited this long to get a lawyer involved.

I don’t know about a drug problem, but certainly a business model and PR problem. I was trying to be patient and work this out as gentlemen, but they are determined that they are entitled to the 10% fee even though Mike readily admits he was way off in his delivery promise. What’s more, it seems he continues to make those promises to newer customers.

I hate dealing with lawyers in any shape or form. I come from a place where people try hard to live up to their promises, and when they can’t, they do whatever it takes to make it right. I thought Inka did too, but I was very wrong about that. It really does suck.

Buffalobwana

Observer
I would have been on a flight out there already touring the facility and meeting The people running the show.
Money better spent than hiring a lawyer. Once legal council is hired, you have shot yourself in the wallet for angers sake only.

Fly out there. Sit down across the table from the man and work it out. Go see the operation. See what he’s doing.

You have invested time and money. Best case, you recoup some money, but you don’t get to take the time lost and cut in line somewhere else. So, mistakes were made. Work it out.

Lawsuit vs working it out? That should be an easy one. Attorneys are the only people who win in lawsuits.

Last edited:

Porkchopexpress

Money better spent than hiring a lawyer. Once legal council is hired, you have shot yourself in the wallet for angers sake only.

Fly out there. Sit down across the table from the man and work it out. Go see the operation. See what he’s doing.

You have invested time and money. Best case, you recoup some money, but you don’t get to take the time lost and cut in line somewhere else. So, mistakes were made. Work it out.

Lawsuit vs working it out? That should be an easy one. Attorneys are the only people who win in lawsuits.

It reads to me that he tried to work it out already. Also, it seems too late to turn this purchase into an enjoyable experience.
At this point I think Inka Outdoors still has time to turn this around. If they allow it to escalate legally, it will not look good to potential customers, (and I think they will lose).

If nothing else let the camper go thru the build process. You should be able to sell it immediately due to the long wait time for campers. I don't think you would be looking at a dollar loss.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Porkchop, in some sense, you are correct, and I do understand your point, but I think Hillbilly has the essence of my message.

Stick it out. Get through it. Maybe go out there and walk through the factory and see the process. Let the guy explain in person and on site what happened and what is going on.

He may walk out of there excited to be a new trailer owner again.

Here is what I think. He started a business. He was successful, got a bit swamped, had labor and supply issues and he’s working them out. He’s gotten through his growing pains and wants to put out quality units at a slower pace rather than crappy units faster.

And another thing. The easiest thing to do as a member here is to join the lynch mob. The most unpopular stance is to tell someone an uncomfortable truth. As a business owner and someone who has been through a ridiculous frivolous lawsuit, I can say you are better off working it out like men. Because when attorneys get involved, all reasonable chances of working something out as reasonable adults flies out the window along with your hard earned cash.

A plane ticket and the cost of conversation over lunch is a heck of a lot cheaper and more productive.

If that doesn’t work, by all means, call Saul.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Pathfinder7 I am sorry you have to go through this. You are frustrated, and rightly so. Please don’t think that I am not empathetic to your situation. You feel taken advantage of and lied to. Now, you must feel like they are holding your money hostage.

Whatever course you choose, I hope it’s as painless as possible and successful.

Good luck.

DT75FLH

Adventurer
I would think that if the business has that many orders, he would gladly give the deposit back as there are many more people waiting. Plus it would free up another in the que for a quicker turn around time.

If Inca does not see that there are more issues then are known here. I see taking a 500. Fee for the time invested in the order. 10 percent is ridiculous if they are "that busy"

jamonsote

Amateur Adventurist
With the price of steel going up, it's bound to hit this niche industry as well. Perhaps you could think of it as an investment that you locked in at a lower price.

When my build busted its delivery date I ended up with some freebies out of it. If they don't budge on a full refund (which to me is pure crazy since no work has been done), perhaps they make it right by comping you some accessories. This does mean that both parties gotta come to the table to discuss it though.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Good point.

The big picture for Inka is that word is out that there is a problem with their company. If they let one guy out of his contract, it sets a precedent for all future cancellation requests.

That’s a quick way to bankrupt a company. So, I’m speculating that they will probably stick to the contract in every way possible since this issue has been brought front and center.

I am very familiar with a case that strongly resembles this situation.

A guy sued over delivery of something that was delayed. No promised delivery date was in writing, rather an expectation was set, and not delivered. Client filed suit. The very first thing the defendants lawyer did was pick up the phone and call his attorney and say “How do you sue for something that hasn’t happened yet?”

This is probably completely irrelevant as none of us have seen the contract. It’s all speculation on our part. Inka is playing this as they must, staying silent after their one statement, since the threat of legal action is possible.

But I am sure we can all agree we hate to see this happen to Pathfinder. This is supposed to be fun.

Porkchopexpress

If I understand the situation correctly, the delay will be at least 12 months, more than double the estimate. That is not reasonable whether it’s addressed in the contract or not. The comparison made by Inka to Tesla or custom cabinets doesn’t help his cause either, because Tesla refunds deposits on request and no cabinet builder could justify a 12 month delay. Same thing if you make non-refundable reservations for a flight or hotel, if there is a delay on their side, they offer a refund. I really have no dog in the fight but from a 3rd person perspective, it’s a no brainer. OP should get a full refund.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles