Issues with Inka Outdoors

crazysccrmd

Observer
This company is not to far from our shop if you have seen his video on you tube you never see but a couple of people in there but working if anybody needs a camper built we can do it and if you have paid a deposit to this guy we will take off the deposit you have paid him off the price of ours and if you need to see if they are still open I would go check on that also thanks have a great day

. . . . , , , ,

Feel free to use those where needed.

I have lots of empathy for both sides here. Having been in the Overland trailer business since 2002 we have experienced just about every permutation of the struggles of production and doing everything we can to meet customers expectations. Let me just say the trailer business is a very hard one to be in, especially if you are just starting out. There are so many steps to the manufacturing process, all of which will go wrong if you stay in business long enough. Finding and keeping good staff is a challenge, and it’s frustrating when someone you trained and depend on leaves. Most Overland companies employ 10 - 12 people so when one person quits, one is sick, and one is on vacation it can have a huge impact on productivity, when you compare this to companies with 100 employees you can see how the odds are stacked against the small guys.

I also understand the business model where deposits fund builds. It about the only way to start a small company unless you have rich parents or luck out and find a bank that will lend you the money. When you tie the small number of employees, the funds, and the fact most people who start overland companies really don’t know how to run a business you can start to see that luck has a lot to do with success.

Happy customers are the key to successful small businesses, in fact any business. Adventure Trailers was lucky early on to have some good friends who were successful business people who offered us advice, they could see we were passionate about the industry and the product and these good people just gave us tidbits of business gold. Thank you so much to Scott Brady, Doug Hackney, Barry Andrews, James Roy, and others who’s names escape me, we couldn’t have done it without you.

Without these mentors we could easily have found ourselves in the same situation as Inka finds themselves in today. So I’d make a few suggestions.

Try and work out the differences
Refund the deposit if you can, but see if there is a way to work things out first
If you have manufacturing or financial expertise and you care about the Overland Industry send the owner of Inka an e mail and offer to help them for free. I would be happy to give some time of my own.
Communicate, in fact over communicate ( not my best quality but sound advice).

It would make me very happy if this matter could be worked out to everyone’s satisfaction.
Hey martyn we started our trailer manufacturer business this way we do not have any bills .and you said it well it is hard to start a business as it is Inka is maybe at most 5 miles from our shop you go buy there you don't see any cars anywhere it like they have closed down he gets his supplies from the same people as we do and I have been asked questions like have I seen Mike or do I know what is going on and my reply was no don't have a clue but me personally if we got into the position to be so far behind on orders we would just quit taking them until we got caught up that's the right thing to do why you start assembly line when you ain't got nobody to run it and don't make any sense to me just build them one at a time and get them out the door they can be done in 1 a week but I don't get him taking the people's money and not giving him money back wholesome back like I seen a post before but my goodness hold all of it back no unless is he is trying to scam them I'm not saying he is a scammer but it appears that way and our overland license number is 1n9n378 and we also manufacturers utility trailers also this is Run as a family business just my family works in it that's it no outsiders y'all have a good day

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Moral of this story and ALL THE OTHERS discussed on this site is NEVER pay anyone a deposit that is more than you can afford to LOSE!

$500 should be PLENTY with any trailer builder/supplier to put your name "In Line" for production. You can then start to pay them when they begin, continue and complete the build of YOUR specific trailer.

If a builder you are dealing with demands anything more than a $500 deposit for the "Privilage" of getting your name on a trailer builders build list then rest assured you are dealing with a severely underfunded business enterprise that is looking to YOU the customer to be their bank for the funding of their company!

RUN don't walk away!

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Hey martyn we started our trailer manufacturer business this way we do not have any bills .and you said it well it is hard to start a business as it is Inka is maybe at most 5 miles from our shop you go buy there you don't see any cars anywhere it like they have closed down he gets his supplies from the same people as we do and I have been asked questions like have I seen Mike or do I know what is going on and my reply was no don't have a clue but me personally if we got into the position to be so far behind on orders we would just quit taking them until we got caught up that's the right thing to do why you start assembly line when you ain't got nobody to run it and don't make any sense to me just build them one at a time and get them out the door they can be done in 1 a week but I don't get him taking the people's money and not giving him money back wholesome back like I seen a post before but my goodness hold all of it back no unless is he is trying to scam them I'm not saying he is a scammer but it appears that way and our overland license number is 1n9n378 and we also manufacturers utility trailers also this is Run as a family business just my family works in it that's it no outsiders y'all have a good day

Not one "." (period) in that whole thing. You should let someone who knows how to write properly interface with the public, because you are making your company look bad.

I just wanted to give a quick update on this. Mike and I spent quite a bit of time hashing this out on the phone and we have come to a mutually beneficial agreeement.

I would like to say thanks to all of you for your input and suggestions. While I was not able to fly across the country and hash it out face to face, being able to talk on the phone and discuss all the options was very necessary. I dislike talking on the phone and generally talking to people at all so I use email and text a lot. It’s so easy for things to get lost in the text without the inflection and nuances of the spoken word.

At any rate, we have worked this out to both our satisfaction and I greatly appreciate Mike and Inka being willing to get it done. Thanks again to everyone.

-Rob
Pathfinder 7 I don't know at this point if you've had this issue resolved but I went by there facility todayI did not see any cars in the parking lot whatsoever I also went and looked on the front door of their facility I did not see anybody or I heard anybody in there I hope this clarifies whether they still in business or not at this point I don't know

Not one "." (period) in that whole thing. You should let someone who knows how to write properly interface with the public, because you are making your company look bad.
we have a good business and we are also Bail enforcement agents so and we don't need you to tell us how we need to speak into our Phone. If I need your help I will get in contact with you I didn't get on here to Bash you and you don't get on here to bash me and my company is running 3 months behind on campers and we got a backlog of 648 utility trailers to buildbut I don't want to get on here and hurt your feelings but you asked for it so here you….......???????? !!!!! Now go cry a river

Louisd75

Adventurer
we have a good business and we are also Bail enforcement agents so and we don't need you to tell us how we need to speak into our Phone. If I need your help I will get in contact with you I didn't get on here to Bash you and you don't get on here to bash me and my company is running 3 months behind on campers and we got a backlog of 648 utility trailers to buildbut I don't want to get on here and hurt your feelings but you asked for it so here you….......???????? !!!!! Now go cry a river

Umm... wow. With no dog in this race, I'll just point out that if you really are that far behind then that's great for you, but not good for your business. I'm also not sure what being a bail enforcement agent has to do with anything, but good for you. Perhaps that's why your backlog is so significant? Too many fingers in too many pots? Anyhow, good luck out there.

crazysccrmd

Observer

It’s not bashing, it’s simple common sense to try to always present your company in a good light. Proper grammar and punctuation go a long way in forming a good impression based on your online presence. I’m still trying to figure out what being a bail enforcement agent has to do with not being able to construct a proper sentence.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie

Hurt my feelings? I don't have feelings. Feelings are for wimps.

Stop rambling stream of conciousness into your phone's voice recog and make the effort to show some respect to your audience and potential customers.

GkraneTX

Moral of this story and ALL THE OTHERS discussed on this site is NEVER pay anyone a deposit that is more than you can afford to LOSE!

$500 should be PLENTY with any trailer builder/supplier to put your name "In Line" for production. You can then start to pay them when they begin, continue and complete the build of YOUR specific trailer.

If a builder you are dealing with demands anything more than a $500 deposit for the "Privilage" of getting your name on a trailer builders build list then rest assured you are dealing with a severely underfunded business enterprise that is looking to YOU the customer to be their bank for the funding of their company!

RUN don't walk away!

Agree with this 100 percent. Asking for 5-10k upfront should be a sign that the company doesn't sufficient funding to continue operating without deposit money. I have a feeling a lot of these trailer companies that are 25-35k will be gone in a few years. There are a couple of companies that seem to be dialing in how to produce reasonable quality trailers at a significantly lower prices. Intech comes to mind and seems to be upping their game at a rapid pace, plus apparently has dealers all over to handle warranty work. I cant imagine dealing with a warranty issue with a company 1000+ miles away.

The Artisan

Adventurer

The Artisan

Adventurer
Nu wave,
That made my head hurt with all the run on sentences and rambling. I don't think people are bashing you. They are stating that if you can not use proper grammer and
punctuation, then as a first impression what does that say about your company? Just an observation, carry on.
Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles