ISO reasonably priced, reliable, off road 4x4 7.3L E350 (open to others!)

akoehne

Hey y’all!

Looking for something pretty bare bones/blank slate interior-wise that I can build out, probably add a high top to, etc. Currently have a built out ‘06 Tundra but over the past year and a half, Ive been looking for a larger, off road beast of a new rig for the past 2ish years to build out and make a home, and am now ready to purchase. I feel as though I’m getting very close to finding “the one” but would love some help if anyone knows of one (either from someone on here, craigslist, etc) that checks my boxes within a reasonable price range. I’m not super interested in an existing build as they are usually out of my price range, just a solid van or rig of some sort for under 19k that I can build up over time myself.

Im located in AZ but willing to travel and am looking for a solid, reliable off road rig with these general specs:
-Ford
-4x4 and lifted with good suspension and decent tires (though I can always purchase new tires, not trying to rebuild suspension this time)
-Minimal rust
-Ideally a 7.3L engine though they are hard to find an expensive so I am very open to others (they also only made these certain years so if something is a beast and reliable I am interested!)
-1988-2007
-Preferably hollowed out so I can start my build (but I can also strip down myself if there are seats or any sort of existing interior build, just don’t want to pay for someone else’s build that I will most likely change)
-existing winch or ladder would be nice, but not necessary
-Again my budget for purchasing the rig is less than $19k

I am also interested in any unique, reliable, offroad capable rigs for a decent price to build out (a cool, cab-connected box truck scenario, etc). Just figured I’d post on here to see what anybody’s got/knows of. Love a cool, unique rig but also need something of decent size (myself, my partner, and our 3 dogs will be living in it) and very reliable/off road capable!
Really appreciate any help, thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Nukeproof

Thats a great rig, if it was an EB i'd bought it a couple weeks back.

But yeah, in these covid times its gonna be tough.

akoehne

Thanks for the responses, y’all! I actually was looking at that one the other day...a little worried with the high miles as its a 5.4L, though it seems really well taken care of. Its also only a 1/2 ton...thoughts?

D

Deleted member 9101

7.3 + 4x4 + reasonably priced = funniest thing that I have heard in a while...haha.

As for the 5.4, there is no shortage of them with 300k+ on them that are still on the road.

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
7.3 + 4x4 + reasonably priced = funniest thing that I have heard in a while...haha.

As for the 5.4, there is no shortage of them with 300k+ on them that are still on the road.
Exactly what he said. 5.4s are so common and think about maintenance. A 7.3 PSD takes work to keep er running happy.

It took me three years to find my rig. Its a 1995 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4. Three years of looking almost daily.

Last edited:

eblau

Adventurer
Probably better off looking for a decent 2wd van and having it converted to 4x4 with the money you have left over. I see them occasionally in the $5k range with higher miles.

Reactions: DMG

WinnieVan

I have a van that is just what your looking for.... problem is you’re about 10-12k under what I’d consider the right price.

I hate to say it — your wish list is too long and your pockets are too shallow.

beware too — not all 4x4 conversions are of the same quality — at the price your looking you’re gonna need to be careful if you find a 7.3 with a “new” conversion at that price.

MSD

Well Known Xplor’r
Probably better off looking for a decent 2wd van and having it converted to 4x4 with the money you have left over. I see them occasionally in the $5k range with higher miles.
Taking a 2wd and doing a DIY 4x4 (right not cutting corners) from say Tim at timberline vans in Golden they will be 12k all in for parts & his kit. Add in a 5k gasser leaves 2k for their build. There is no way you’ll get one converted from a company for less than $16k. Average conversion range will be $18 to 24k. At CCV we start at $18k with an a average build price at $24k it’s not a cheap undertaking when done correctly. Most people find out quickly that this is not a easy or cheap to do going Diy or having a company do it.

Last edited:

eblau

Adventurer
I was in no way suggesting it would be under budget, just suggesting a new build on a clean van would be the best route because finding a 4x4 under $19k let alone a 7.3 is a little unrealistic.

Taking a 2wd and doing a DIY 4x4 (right not cutting corners) from say Tim at timberline vans in Golden they will be 12k all in for parts & his kit. Add in a 5k gasser leaves 2k for their build. There is now way you’ll get one converted from a company for less than $16k. Average conversion range will be $18 to 24k. At CCV we start at $18k with an a average build price at $24k it’s not a cheap undertaking when done correctly. Most people find out quickly that this is not a easy or cheap to do going Diy or having a company do it.

Reactions: MSD

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
Why not get a Ford F-350 or 250 7.3 4x4 and a decent truck camper? Probably get one without the headaches for close to your budget plus or
Minus given year and miles.

Reactions: MSD

MSD

Well Known Xplor’r
I was in no way suggesting it would be under budget, just suggesting a new build on a clean van would be the best route because finding a 4x4 under $19k let alone a 7.3 is a little unrealistic.

Gotcha, since they’re a new member & sorta already have an unrealistic price range. Just didn’t want them to think they could jump in and get a conversion done on a 2wd, based on there budget.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMG

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso

Attachments

• AC42F2E9-D6ED-4AC2-8939-59BCC3AB4F7F.jpeg
    AC42F2E9-D6ED-4AC2-8939-59BCC3AB4F7F.jpeg
    914.6 KB · Views: 78

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member