Is this mod impossible?

konrisariban

Hi all,

Considering a DC Tacoma because it fits the bill for all of my needs but there is one sticking point. My job entails the use of a mounted laptop down around the shifter. As such I imagine it would be a pain in the *** going from a steering column shifter in what I have now (Titan) to a floor-mounted shifter (Tacoma) with the laptop and its brackets in the way. Are there any available mods that can transplant the floor shifter to the steering column? I have done a few Google searches where other users have been told to forget about it but I thought I'd try my luck anyway.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
I have a ram mount that connects to the passenger front seat bolts that is super secure and solid even when offroading. I generally put my ipad in the mount while driving and use it for maps and music. then when parked for a while i put the laptop in there (i dont want to wear out the hinge of the laptop when bouncing around on dirt roads)

the mount is completely out of the way for a passenger and the seat can move forward and back like normal.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
How about you get monitor that is just big enough to be comfy for your needs (I'll see if I can find the mount I'm about to describe). There is a mount that mounts to the top of the dash. the monitor mounts to it.
When in use the monitor slides like a drawer from the top of the dash down to the dash board face.
Have your laptop stowed where you can plug in the monitor, along with your other needed accessories for and use a wireless keyboard with touch pad or trackball.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

hornytoad

Desert Geologist
Ram mount

I'm putting my $0.02 in for the RAM mount. I have used them in work trucks before and plan on installing one in my new Taco build. Also you might want to consider a mounted 110 converter to always power your laptop/tablet. (I'm going to see if one would fit in the dead space under the center console)

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
I used a ram in my patrol car. It was ok but was a pain when I tried reach any thing in the glove box. AND GOD FORBID I DROP SOMETHING IN THE FLOORBOARD.

15+ days or nights a month it served it's purpose and did its job well. But it could be inconvenient at very inopportune times

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Maybe if you want to really tear apart a new truck, you could use the column out of a first gen. Tundra. They have a column shifter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94