is this a decent deal?

LUISJG

Explorer
found this,

1996 Land Rover Discovery LE, 4.0L V-8, well-maintained, power adjusted heated leather seats, roof rack, ladder, 6 disc CD changer, power sunroofs, keyless entry, tow package, good tires,, front air bags, 139K, A/C is super cold. Its a perfect 4WD SUV. Everything, and I mean everything is in working condition. Runs like a new, and doesnt leak any fluids. All tags are current and has a clean title. A/C is super cold!! Must drive to fully appreciate.
4999.00 or best offer
s

should i worrie about milage?

Last edited:

SeaRubi

Explorer
LUISJG said:
found this,

1996 Land Rover Discovery LE, 4.0L V-8, well-maintained, power adjusted heated leather seats, roof rack, ladder, 6 disc CD changer, power sunroofs, keyless entry, tow package, good tires,, front air bags, 139K, A/C is super cold. Its a perfect 4WD SUV. Everything, and I mean everything is in working condition. Runs like a new, and doesnt leak any fluids. All tags are current and has a clean title. A/C is super cold!! Must drive to fully appreciate.
4999.00 or best offer
s

should i worrie about milage?

price isn't bad at all. much depends on how well its been cared for.

as for the mileage - yes. it will most likely need a top-end rebuild fairly soon if not now, if the heads haven't already been done by the dealer. generally it's not absolutely necessary to do the heads, but it'll sure run happier afterwards. the shortblocks are generally good up to 170~200k. I had a 4.2L LWB that was running strong at 215k ... sadly the transmission died, which will be your next worry after 150~170k miles if not sooner.

like all vehicles, maintenance history trumps all else.

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
Doesn't leak any fluids???? Check to make sure there are fluids there!:p

Totally agree that the top end is time to be rebuilt. It is a great engine as long as maintenance is done on a REGULAR schedule. Sounds like the PO knew this.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
With that mileage, even with a top end rebuild, I would pay no more than $4000. If you really want a Disco, check out lrx.com. You can search by state, type of rover, year, etc.

LUISJG

Explorer
well thats preety scary ...
I just finish reorganizing my vehicle fleet ,,sold my cherokee,sold my nissan,
got me a pickup truck and have a commander ,,now I need a new exp vehicle.
disco's have been on my mind but also looking at a 2005 unlimited jeep. and xterras

nvprospector

Adventurer
Andrew Walcker said:
Doesn't leak any fluids???? Check to make sure there are fluids there!:p

Yep, the good old rover saying. "If it is not leaking, it is empty".

Get the price down, then throw in a D&D cam and have the heads ported and balanced. After you are done with the top end, start saving for a TD5 or 300TDI.

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
nvprospector said:
Yep, the good old rover saying. "If it is not leaking, it is empty".

Get the price down, then throw in a D&D cam and have the heads ported and balanced. After you are done with the top end, start saving for a TD5 or 300TDI.

How about the other old saying about 90% of all Rovers ever built are still on the road, the other 10% made it home!:jump:

SeaRubi

Explorer
Andrew Walcker said:
How about the other old saying about 90% of all Rovers ever built are still on the road, the other 10% made it home!:jump:

that's not a leak ... it's just marking it's territory! :xxrotflma

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
SeaRubi said:
that's not a leak ... it's just marking it's territory! :xxrotflma

LUISJG- As you can see if you go w/ a Rover you'll end up making more fun of your vehicle than anyone else ever could! It's kind of like having a brother/sister that you'll go toe to toe with over anything, just don't let someone else mess with them! Hope to see you in a Disco soon:26_13_1:

nvprospector

Adventurer
Andrew Walcker said:

As i say to people my rover is self lubercating. ;)

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
My old disco had 180k and was still going strong. In that time we replaced a lot of brake rotors, an exhaust (due to driver error), and a wheel hub (due to dealer error). The main problem it had - couldn't seem to deal with being slammed into the back of a pickup truck at 50mph (due to driver error). Only ever got stuck once, too - took two tow trucks, a sno-cat, and two snowmobiles to get it unstuck.

rover.jpg

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
It all depends on where you live. I think it is a bit steep, sounds like a $3500 truck to me, but I am really cheap :p

Good Luck

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior