Is there such a thing as extra cheap(ish) FJC horsepower

coastsider

Adventurer
Apart from dropping serious coin on a TRD supercharger (drool) does anyone know the best way to get a few more useable cheap ponies out of the FJC V6? I have the TRD exhaust installed already but will the TRD cold air filter give me more BHP? Better plugs maybe? A buddy of mine bought a $40.00 chip that claimed more HP (bull****), of course no ponies came forth. I just want a little more power off road to pull my loaded Horizon AT, Ideas welcome.

Honu

lost on the mainland
My CAI did cut down the feel of off the line lag and I think it's worth it
Sounds nice with the trd exhaust

So don't expect more for pulling the trailer but again the CAI was worth it and would do it again :)

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I know the new 4 runners have more hp and torque, I don't know if its possible to upload their tune on the fj's. This kind of stuff goes on in the diesel world, just not sure how it works with toyotas.

loup407

Adventurer
I have both the CAI and exhaust; haven't compared to a bone stock FJC, but it works for me. I pull a Horizon, and the only time I wish I had a supercharger is driving over Vail Pass or Trail Ridge Road.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
URD MAF Sensor Calibrator...

URD's MAF Sensor Calibrator is just over $200. There are specific versions for normally-aspirated and forced induction 1GR-FEs. It has a much higher sampling rate than the OEM sensors so it is able to take the signal from the OEM MAF Sensor and remap it for the best fuel mixture as the situation requires it. Additionally it can be retuned once the user adds aftermarket parts that need to be adjusted for like cold air intakes, headers, exhaust systems. There are even specific maps available for specific units like the Volant and TRD cold air intakes, JBA and Doug Thorley headers.
http://www.urdusa.com/Electronics-P...1/URD-MAF-Sensor-Calibrator/product_info.html
MAF500.jpg

Last edited:

coastsider

Adventurer
Seems some of the 'chips' or sensors do work then? I guess like any aftermarket mod there are many levels of quality. It would be nice to see real data on power increase if anyone has that, not manufacturer claimed but real world dyno figures. I've seen claimed BHP increase for the cold air intake, any other benefit to that mod?

phsycle

Adventurer
Dude, save your money and leave it alone. Back in the 90's and early 00's, when I was into racing cars, went through the same thing. Unless you go FI (or maybe regear), bolt-on mods don't do jack. I know someone will post up about how they gained 5-10HP from an intake. Well, whooptiee doo. You just netted 4% HP and went from 7 second 0-60MPH to 6.99999999999999999999999. Put that money towards a supercharger or a Ducati.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
There is definite merit to old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." For a little background; I put thousands of track miles on my '97 GTI at PCA time trials and SCCA autocross events over a 4yr period and the only aftermarket part I installed was a Neuspeed strut bar for extra chassis bracing under the hood. Otherwise I just went through a buttload of tires and oil changes and had a huge amount of fun while watching a lot of other people start spending money hand-over-fist and getting way too serious. I didn't upgrade the suspension or change out the exhaust until the OE units needed replacing which was well after I was no longer running those events. That's part of the reason why my FJC is still bone-stock after 19 months of ownership. That being said I plan to keep this vehicle until the wheels fall off so I am considering cost-effective ways to improve things that the OEM had to compromise on for the sake of costs and regulations. I believe that if someone is not convinced of a product's merit then they're better off spending their hard-earned cash elsewhere, period. After talking to URD, visiting with David at Alan Philips Racing in person, and corresponding with guys from the FJ Forum at different periods over the past six months I plan to buy URD's MAF Sensor Calibrator and later on re-map it for an aftermarket cold air intake or snorkel, and different exhaust.

Seems some of the 'chips' or sensors do work then? I guess like any aftermarket mod there are many levels of quality. It would be nice to see real data on power increase if anyone has that, not manufacturer claimed but real world dyno figures. I've seen claimed BHP increase for the cold air intake, any other benefit to that mod?

Contact 'Gadget' at URD (sales@urdusa.com or 877-887-3872) and he can probably give you some customer contacts for that. If you want to strictly stick to 3rd-party info I would correspond with some of the guys on the FJ Cruiser Forum who have dealt with URD and their products (FJNewb, Hornsfan, DominicG, FJTTSE, etc). http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/underdog-racing-development/

Last edited:

coastsider

Adventurer

downhill

Adventurer
Intake and exhaust mods for the purpose of increased power is a waste of money. The best of them lose 4 or 5 HP below 3000rpm and gain it above 3,000. That means you just shifted a little power away from the area where you drive, to an area where you don't. These vehicles come from the factory with CAI. The difference between the incoming air temp measured by the trucks sensor and the outside air is just 2 to 3 degrees higher. Intake and exhaust do nothing unless you are running forced air induction or have done extensive head work, including cams. If the head can't breathe, then opening up either end is pointless, if not detrimental.

Most of the aftermarket CAI intakes leave your truck more vulnerable to inhaling water, and I don't think any of them provide as good a filtration as the stock induction. They increase intake noise which makes a nice placebo effect in lieu of real power gains.

Headers and other exhaust mods do have the advantage of eliminating the cats. A lot of people like the way they look and sound. Eventually I'm doing this mod to reduce the risk of fire from the cats running through deep grass. I'm also not about to pay for replacements if they get clogged. I'll probably run a stock muffler though to try and maintain a little backpressure.

The only legitimate bolt on power is a supercharger.

BMThiker

SE Expedition Society
Regear if you want quicker starts. I put off regearing my FJC after going to a larger tire size until the rear diff broke. Once I regeared I realized what everyone was talking about. Huge difference and didn't really hurt my mileage too bad - I dropped 1 MPG on an average.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior