Is there something between a teardrop and a regular caravan?

Dozer Dan

Observer
Have been looking at offroad trailers and teardrops and also big offroad caravans but I haven't seen anything that fills the gap between. The footprint of a teardrop but with perhaps a pop or lifting roof so that you can go inside, sit inside and cook inside. We often have very bad weather so having a space we can retreat into is high on the wish list.
But I don't want to haul a big caravan, it has to be small and light. We also move every day and we often have to set up or break camp in very bad weather so an elaborate tent system is out of question.

Kent Wold

Boler and Trillium made some great ones and there are some knockoffs now ... Winnebago Minnie looks pretty good and I've seen some called Wolf Pup that look interesting...

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

ttengineer

Adventurer
You might want to look into a Conqueror. The 440 might be what you need, as it’s about the same size as a standard tear drop. If you want bigger there is always the 490.

6f56b6d9f9a10e6921a12972efd36869.jpg

855c7e1d4aba1bea8ddda3081a005dec.jpg

I feel like these bridge that gap of tear drop and caravan since you can cook inside or out and they have awning/rooms for outside cover as well as heat and AC inside the trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ttengineer

Adventurer
https://taxaoutdoors.com

These guys have a couple offerings that might be what you are after.

I forgot about those guys.

Those are great little rigs for smaller tow vehicles.

I do wonder how “off-road” they are though.

What drives me nuts about so many domestic campers, as well as vehicles, is the marketing these things get for the off road crowd. Just look at the debacle with GM not warranting Colorado’s with air bag deployment on dirt roads. It’s very disconcerting. There needs to be some sort of scale or rating system in place for capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dreadlocks

I rented a cricket last year for the eclipse, it was nicely built and towed well.. they are mild-offroad at best tho. It had more that I didnt like about it than I did like.. cost, not being able to see rear of trailer when backing up (rear door was already badly damaged from owner backing it into something), no floor space for our dogs and having kids bunking above you turned out to be terrible idea.. I also gave my self a concussion carying a pot of boiling water to dump in sink strainer because of the short door.. That coulda ended up pretty bad.

It did teach me alot about what I thought was important to me and what ended up really being important to me and helped me greatly when choosing a trailer.. I definitely recommend renting a few styles and sizes if you can to get a feel for your priorities.

I was all set to buy a Wolf Pup Toy hauler earlier this year, but ended up getting the InTech Discover and im glad I did.

here's the cricket:
MMwv52O.jpg

PS: Check out @DUTCH's Kimberly he has for sale, now this offroad capable: https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/kimberley-karavan-for-sale.191409/

Last edited:

Dozer Dan

Observer
Wow! Thank you all, there are some really great suggestions there!
I will clearly have to do a bit more research as there seems to be some good options about.

Very tidy Build @Ablatross, I would be half interested in building something myself and that looks nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles