Is there any other adjustable shock other than Rancho?

slooowr6

Explorer
Hi All,
Need help from you guys. The truck is getting heavier, above GVWR, the stock shock does not seem to up to the task. I plan to take the camper off the truck when no on a trip so I need the adjustability to keep the ride comfortable. I've install AirLife and it's working great. The only adjustable shock I can find is Rancho. The shock needs to be adjust without removing from the truck. From Rancho's website they still don't have a model for 05+ Tacoma. I'll call them later to see if there is one that can fit, from Tundra?
Is there any other adjustable shocks on the market??

Thanks all!!

navara-au

Observer
Hi slooowr6

Are the Tacomas the same as the Hilux?
Because there are " Ranchos" that fit Hilux's also "Tough Dog" as well.
"Koni" make an adjustable shock, but I m not sure if they have them for the Hilux yet. Have heard of a guy who had some Koni's made up to fit his Navara, that worked quite fine.

slooowr6

Explorer
I'm not sure how muck is shared between Tacoma and Hilux. But I read on some other forum that Tacoma is a north America only model not as tough as a Hilux. Did Koni change the way to adjust the shocks? Last time I checked you need to remove the shock to adjust them.

navara-au

Observer
Damn I know the Navaras and the Frontiers are nearly identical, just with few different options.
Yeah your probably right about the Koni's, I just thought I remembered seeing a pair with the little dial thingy.
There is quite a lot of after market stuff for the Hilux.
Sorry for being no help.

ZooJunkie

Explorer
You can adjust Koni's from the top of the shock once they are installed. No need to remove them to adjust them. Not sure if they make a set for trucks/suvs, but they do have a few nice line of performance shocks for passenger cars.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Boston Mangler said:
I could be mistaken, but i believe ProComp makes one as well

Yes, they make an adjustable...which is OK, I guess (used them on truck I had years ago.

But really, unless you are looking to do this on the cheap....look into custom valved shocks (Fox, SAW, etc). Crunch the numbers (actually, just get the numbers, and let the manufacturer crunch them), get the compression and rebound valving that works for YOUR vehicle, and live happily every after.

For inspiration, look under bajataco's rig...the thing is a caddy...a big, tall, heavy caddy...but oh-so-smooth!

navara-au

Observer
ZooJunkie said:
You can adjust Koni's from the top of the shock once they are installed. No need to remove them to adjust them. Not sure if they make a set for trucks/suvs, but they do have a few nice line of performance shocks for passenger cars.

Yes they certainly make them for 4x4's but whether they have them for Tacoma's is another thing.
http://www.koni4x4.com/technology.php?id=14

goodtimes said:
But really, unless you are looking to do this on the cheap....look into custom valved shocks (Fox, SAW, etc). Crunch the numbers (actually, just get the numbers, and let the manufacturer crunch them), get the compression and rebound valving that works for YOUR vehicle, and live happily every after.
:bigbossHL: x2!

Good valving will glue your rig to the road whether it's loaded or not. There's no perfect medium, but you can get awful close. There was a huge difference loaded and unloaded when I went from stock TRD shocks on my Tundra to custom valved SAWs up front and Bili 7100s in the rear. Check around for custom applications for your truck.

Not sure of compatibility between any Tundra part and 05+ Tacos, but my guess is no go. Tundras have three bolts in the coil bucket, equally spaced around a circle. I could measure it for you, if you want, but like I said I doubt Tundra parts will bolt directly on an 05+ Taco.

For a while now, Tundra owners have been using adapter plates to mount standard eye-to-eye coilover assemblies to the front end, and an adapter from Total Chaos to do the same in the rear. Most of the top-shelf aftermarket manufacturers provide this adapter as part of their kit, but it's easy to weld one up. You can probably do something similar...it's just a flat metal plate, drilled out to the hole pattern in the coil bucket, with two flanges pointing down to mount the coilover.

-Sean

slooowr6

Explorer
Thanks all for advice and info.
I would go for a custom valving if I'll have my camper on the truck all the time. My ATC camper is 900lbs empty, with water, propan, food, stuff. I won't be suprise the camper weights 1200+lbs. I've AirLift on the back to help with the load. With weight vary so much between loaded and unloaded. If I valvled the shock for full load won't that be too much damping when the truck is unloaded?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Bilstein has started releasing front shocks for Toyotas that are adjustable for both height and valving. I think that the Tundra was first.

slooowr6

Explorer
:D Got response from Rancho. They now do have shock for 05+ tacos.
front - RS99777
rear - RS99319

I think I'll go with Rancho for the rear but for the front how about the new high adjustable Bilstein?? Or I should stay with the same brand for front and rear? On the back with AirLift I'll have a higher spring rate when I inflate the bags, please correct me if this is not correct, so higher damping is needed to "catch" the spring. For the front I have stock setting the Bilstein can help me raise it 1/2" to match the rear high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles