Is there an "ultimate" tablet for Gaia/GPS?

Photobug

I only ask because I simply run it on my iPhone 11 and have an aftermarket touchscreen radio in my truck that displays it. It saves dash space, reduces the extra items to buy, mount, and use (minus the radio of course) and consolidates all I need into one device.

Are you saying you are able to display GAIA on your car radio screen from an IPhone 11? I was told that it could not be done.

If so that would be awesome even as a backup to a primary navigation system. Which car stereo do you have?

REF

Who said it wasn’t compatible with the 11? IDK, it works on my 10.
That’s what I do, and one of the reasons I decided to go with Gaia GPS is that it’s CarPlay compatible and will interface your iPhone on any head unit that has it. A lot of the new OEM touch screen head units and many aftermarket double din touchscreen units have CarPlay, I have a Kenwood unit in our rig and the interface works great, I know Pioneer and others also have CarPlay.

Photobug

Who said it wasn’t compatible with the 11? IDK, it works on my 10.
That’s what I do, and one of the reasons I decided to go with Gaia GPS is that it’s CarPlay compatible and will interface your iPhone on any head unit that has it. A lot of the new OEM touch screen head units and many aftermarket double din touchscreen units have CarPlay, I have a Kenwood unit in our rig and the interface works great, I know Pioneer and others also have CarPlay.

The people on this thread says navigation other than the built in OS app is not compatible with a double din. Double Din with GPS? | Expedition Portal

I specifically asked the question to see if that is an option but was told it was not. I have Android and my wife has an Iphone. The new rig has an older Kenwood double din that is IOS compatible but I think is possibly limited in function. I don't know if based on age my wifes phone and the stereo will even work together, it failed when we tried to pair them, I will go back after reading the manual today to see what is what.

What I would really like to do is pair a Android phone to a double din, because i will be the primary navigator and would like to be able to do it all from my devices.

REF

Pairing your phone via Bluetooth to a head unit is one thing, it’ll sync your music and contacts so you can pick up and make phone calls through your head unit. Reading maps and some other apps from your phone require cabling into the head unit. If it’s an older double din, it may not support or include CarPlay for easier integration. You may have to pull the head unit out to access the rear to see if there’s an input that will allow you to plug in a cord with usb ends for your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Photobug

Pairing your phone via Bluetooth to a head unit is one thing, it’ll sync your music and contacts so you can pick up and make phone calls through your head unit. Reading maps and some other apps from your phone require cabling into the head unit. If it’s an older double din, it may not support or include CarPlay for easier integration. You may have to pull the head unit out to access the rear to see if there’s an input that will allow you to plug in a cord with usb ends for your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2017 Pioneer supports Apple and Android features via cable. It is really nice. The newest Pioneer claims to be able to do all these functions wirelessly, which is pretty cool IMO, might even be worth the $700 price tag. Both Android and Google can be used to provide their inhouse navigation software onto a double din.

The question is can the phone display GAIA through a double din receiver and how is the interface, can it be all controlled from the receivers touch screen?

Photobug

Pairing your phone via Bluetooth to a head unit is one thing, it’ll sync your music and contacts so you can pick up and make phone calls through your head unit. Reading maps and some other apps from your phone require cabling into the head unit. If it’s an older double din, it may not support or include CarPlay for easier integration.

"The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over expecting different results". After spending 48 hours in the vehicle trying to get the stereo to work with my phone I gave up and started listening to the radio. My wife could not figure out how to get it to work with her Iphone this was designed to work Iphone and Ipods.

I went to work on the RV turned on the radio paired my phone and was able to listen to Spotify so far only work with two speakers but I'll take it.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Are you saying you are able to display GAIA on your car radio screen from an IPhone 11? I was told that it could not be done.

If so that would be awesome even as a backup to a primary navigation system. Which car stereo do you have?

Sorry for the delayed reply: and you are correct. That's exactly what I'm saying. It's great.

The stereo is the Alpine iLX-W650.

smlobx

Wanderer
For those of you using the 12.9” IPad Pro what bracket are you using to hold it in your truck?

WanderingBison

For those of you using the 12.9” IPad Pro what bracket are you using to hold it in your truck?

I use two RAM Mounts for my iPad Pro 12.9” in my rig - I use an X-Grip mount to hold the iPad when I use it as a TV/media player or using the iPad for planning, etc. but to hold the iPad while in motion/on the go, I use a RAM Roll-in mount specifically for the iPad Pro because it can hold it extremely securely on rough roads which the X-Grip model doesn’t do well.

The Roll-in mount is almost too good - inserting or removing the iPad is tough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ADVNOMAD

Very happy with GAIA on my IPAD. Although for planning I mostly use my laptop at home. Works great on my IPHONE 8 as well. My issue now is I'm looking for a sunlight readable GAIA option for a motorcycle setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz