Is there an easy way to create and edit gpx files

Bluest

I’m using Locus Maps on an Android tablet for navigation and I have a Mac home computer. Traditionally I have just downloaded gpx routes created by others and that works great, but I now need to create and modify one of my own. Is there an easy, idiot proof way to do this?

I tried using Google Earth Pro, but the Mac version is so buggy as to be unusable. Someone suggested Garmin Basecamp but I can’t workout how that works and online doesn’t seem to be of much use.

Could do with a recommendation of a software with a decent user guide or support.

RMAC67

Hey Mate... try this site: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
I've used this site to convert gdb files to gpx; routes to gpx and a whole lot of other gps files can be used.

U mentioned Garmin Basecamp - this is quite an easy program to use if u want to manipulate the actual GPX file (ie; cut /paste bits of the gpx file, etc). The older garmin version called "Mapsource" is probably a little bit easy to use, though it's no longer supported and may not work on the later operating systems (it still works on W7 at least - Not sure about MAC though). OziExplorer is another one but I'm not too familiar with it...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
There never was a version of Mapsource for Macs.

Basecamp works fine for basic tracks. I'm using version 4.8.4 on Mojave.

The tool you're looking for is called "Draw a track" and it's the button with the two boot prints. When you select it you are given a pointer and you just start putting points down along the track you want. It'll build a file called "Track", which you then can rename, move, export (File->Export Selected User Data...) as a GPX.

If your map is routable the fast way to build one is put down two waypoints (the button with the triangular flag) and have it "Create a route" (the button with the three points with lines connecting them) between them. After it builds a route you can right mouse click to find the option to "Create Track From Route" which converts the route to a track with the same name.

Last edited:

jimi breeze

jimi breeze
Since you have a Mac, there is a app you can download called GPX editor. It pairs with Garmin Basecamp very well.

Bluest

Thanks for your help and patience so far. I think I'm having a few problems that I will try to explain in further detail. Apologies in advance for my terminology as I am new to all this digital mapping malarky.

Firstly, with Garmin Basecamp, I have downloaded a free OSM map with Installer from Garmin, but I can't figure out how to actually get the map into Basecamp. Without a detailed map installed, Basecamp won't function, so need to fix that. This might be the easiest one to solve???

Secondly, a little more on my problem with Google Earth Pro. I can import my gpx file and it displays my waypoints and tracks on the map correctly initially. However, if I hide some or all of the track by unchecking them in the My Places list, they then won't come back if I re-select them. They also sometimes disappear from the map after doing a bit of zooming or scrolling. They are still there somewhere, as I can get Google earth to do the flythrough of the route, but I just can't see them on the map. Could this be to do with the number of waypoints and tracks, there are 500+ waypoints in th one gpx making up a lot of tracks of about 50 waypoints each.

I had a look at GPS Editor, as suggested, I loaded my GPS but it only displays the first track and I can't see how to bring the rest up.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I use Garmin MapManager to install maps. If it's a map set up for use with Basecamp it should be packaged as a .gmap, which you point to in MapManager using File->Install Map. It'll move the map where it needs to on your drive and next time you open Basecamp it'll be under "Maps" to select as the map that is in use.

When using Google Earth Pro I usually export as a KML from Basecamp, I find it works better since that's the native filetype for it.

Last edited:
Hey Mate... try this site: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
I've used this site to convert gdb files to gpx; routes to gpx and a whole lot of other gps files can be used.

U mentioned Garmin Basecamp - this is quite an easy program to use if u want to manipulate the actual GPX file (ie; cut /paste bits of the gpx file, etc). The older garmin version called "Mapsource" is probably a little bit easy to use, though it's no longer supported and may not work on the later operating systems (it still works on W7 at least - Not sure about MAC though). OziExplorer is another one but I'm not too familiar with it...

BaseCamp does need a map source. If you have a Garmin device with topo maps installed, connect it to your computer using the USB port. BaseCamp will install the maps from your device to the program and if you have more than one map, ie: Southwest topo, Cal topo, you can choose which map you want displayed from the map option at the top of the page.

To create a route in BaseCamp I use the create a route tool. With the tool you select the starting point and end point and the program builds a route using the choose map. In my case below, it uses the topo and off-road trails to build the route between the starting and ending point.

Garmin BaseCamp.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier