Is there a reason NOT to get the Garmin 60CSx?

slooowr6

Explorer
Hi All,
I plan to use it on backpacking/hiking trips. Is there any reason I should get the new Colorado 400t instead? I looked at the compare on Garmin's site the only difference I can see is that Colorado has a better screen with higher resolution.

Thanks for any tip you can share!
Alex

Clark White

Explorer
I have the 60CSx and love it. If the only difference is the screen then I would say get the 60, assuming its cheaper. I don't thing screen resolution is that big of a factor for a GPS unit, and the 60 is more then detailed enough to read your maps if you plan to load any.

Clark

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
It is an extremely powerful little GPS. You will not be sorry.

Once you get it - get a 2 gig Micro SD to go with it - you will have more than enough room for TOPO & City Navigator.

My 60CSx got me from Anchorage to Seattle to Denver flawlessly. I wont be without it!
:REExeSquatsHL1:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
the topo maps on the colorado blow the 60csx out of the water. I've had both and the maps look awesome on the colorado.......honestly they look better on the colorado then they do on the computer.

opie

Explorer
The only downside to the Colorado series so far is actually being able to see the screen without using the backlight. I have had a 60 csx and currently have my 2 month old Colorado 300 for sale now on ebay so I can go back to a 60csx.

The detail on the Colorado screen is amazing..lack of using better contrasts in the map colors warrants using the backlight even during the day.

Harald Hansen

Explorer
Has anyone used one of these units for street navigation? Is it suitable? (I have no doubt that they are excellent with topo maps)

02tacotoy

Adventurer
Harald Hansen said:
Has anyone used one of these units for street navigation? Is it suitable? (I have no doubt that they are excellent with topo maps)

I am looking at the CO for street nav as well- trying to get some credible info from trusting people around here:26_7_2:

ThomD

Explorer
The street routing works well on these but there are caveats:

The screen is a bit small to look at while driving, so it works best with a co-driver.

Auto-routing can be different on the PC than it is on the handheld. This is usually only a problem when there are lots of route options (in a city for example.) So, when you build a route on the PC and load it onto the handheld, it is a good idea to check to see that the hand held is doing what you want.

Sometimes the route does funny things (Get off the highway, take the frontage road, get back on the highway at the next ramp.), but that is very rare.

There are only a few "classes" or "levels" of road, so I've seen it happen where I'm on a two lane state road and the GPS says "turn right" to get on a slightly smaller two lane road, only to rejoin the state road a few miles later. This is because the slightly smaller road cut the corner of the route the state road took, saving maybe 1/2 mile. I've only seen this on one section of road.

Generally, we are very happy with our GPS. These oddities do not happen often, but they underscore that you can't follow the GPS blindly.

SCTaco

Observer
I have the 60csx with the external antenna. The antenna is a must if you are going to mount it in your truck. I have the untit on a RAM mount and the antenna on the roof rack. If you do get the 60csx you might check out the free G7ToWin program. It is useful importing points to the Garmin Mapsource software from say a Peter Massey file. I use a 2gb microSD card and can fit most of the Western USA 100K topos and many trail files. Overall I have been very happy.

Good luck! :truck:

dirtysouth

Adventurer
ThomD said:
The street routing works well on these but there are caveats:

The screen is a bit small to look at while driving, so it works best with a co-driver.

Auto-routing can be different on the PC than it is on the handheld. This is usually only a problem when there are lots of route options (in a city for example.) So, when you build a route on the PC and load it onto the handheld, it is a good idea to check to see that the hand held is doing what you want.

Sometimes the route does funny things (Get off the highway, take the frontage road, get back on the highway at the next ramp.), but that is very rare.

You may want to make sure that your routing preferences are set the same as you have them on your pc. I have mine set up to ask me each time whether or not I want to go the fastest time or shortest distance. Also after reading your post, do you have City Navigator or City Select software installed onto your GPS? I've used mine for 3 years or better now and it has taken me to various places across country on my bike without a problem.

slooowr6

Explorer
Thanks for all the inputs, keep them coming. The 60CSx will be for hiking/backpacking use only. I've a NUVI for the truck.

ThomD

Explorer
dirtysouth said:
You may want to make sure that your routing preferences are set the same as you have them on your pc. I have mine set up to ask me each time whether or not I want to go the fastest time or shortest distance. Also after reading your post, do you have City Navigator or City Select software installed onto your GPS? I've used mine for 3 years or better now and it has taken me to various places across country on my bike without a problem.

I have the same preferences on both (as much as is possible with the 60 series), with City Navigator. It's an obscure but well documented issue. Again, the vast major of the time it will NOT be an issue. It only comes up when there are multiple valid paths between points, for example in San Francisco.

slooowr6

Explorer
Thanks all for the input.
Garmin Colorado 400t is $570 and the 60CSx is $286 at Amazon. The choice is not too hard. Ordered a 60CSx from Amazon. :luxhello:

opie

Explorer
slooowr6 said:
Thanks all for the input.
Garmin Colorado 400t is $570 and the 60CSx is $286 at Amazon. The choice is not too hard. Ordered a 60CSx from Amazon. :luxhello:

You wont be dissapointed.

I just got my new 60csx that replaced my Colorado 300 that I bought to replace my old 60csx because I thought it would be neat to see what improvements Garmin made over the 60 series.

Garmin has many updates they will need to do to make the Colorado even a fraction of what the 60 series is.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
You will love the 60!!!

I now am GPS rich - having a 60CSx, a NUVI 250W and just today, I got the 400t. SO far, the 400t seems like a very worthy upgrade to the 60 - but it is a want - not need - difference. The screen is vastly superior to the 60, and the interface is much faster to get to the things you will use a lot. I am thinking of keeping the 60 as a backup or loaner for a friend. Or maybe I could give an ExPo'er a solid deal...:)

I hope you enjoy your GPS! Garmin is a trusted name (even if their documentation sucks) that I became very familiar with during flight scool in Alaska. Buy the best - you'll only whine once...

If anyone wants the 60 - PM me an offer and we'll see...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke