Is There A Good Thread Out There Already for Bad Cooks?.......

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I love to cook and think up recipes as I roam through the grocery store. I can taste them in my mind and then go home and make them happen.
Sometimes I reverse engineer from a restaurant. And there are a couple of restaurants that I go to and swap recipes with the chef.

But for camping I cheat. Take shortcuts.
I don't "make" rice while camping, I open a pouch of Uncle Ben's. Tastes great and is quick. Chop up an onion and a pepper, throw in your protein of choice, and you've got fried rice in a couple of minutes.

A ceramic frying pan and hard anodized aluminum Dutch Oven are great camping kit for easy/cheaty camp cooking.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
So you use them too? I use them as a quick and easy way off adding bulk to take a single person serving size, that I make with my dehydrated meals and add a bag of it also. This extends the potion sizes, and makes cleanup that much easier. The KNORR brand of Sidekicks or any other brand name you like is pretty easy to make . I use a 1/4 c of powdered milk and boil 2 cups of water . I add the milk powder to the mix and then add the water. let it rest in my cozie that i made from a dollar store window shade for the truck. It's a trick I picked up from hikers.

food cheat

JumpJ

Adventurer
You are all awesome. Thank you. I bought the book. Even cooked in the house of the family the other night. I did Fried rice. OK not opening a Chinese restaurant any time soon but kids asked for seconds. Our dog loved it :) I'm going to post some meals from our trip next week. Thanks again. You are all motivating me. Will

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Can help a lot to lay out all the ingredients in the right amounts too ahead of time - so you don't find yourself burning the first step while you're chopping or measuring items for the next steps.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I sometimes prepare the whole meal and vacuum seal it and heat it later on the trail, minus any liquid stuff.

I also have one of these to prep the meal while I drive to my first camp in case I arrive too late and do not really want to cook.

It is great for having a warm meal with no fuss. There are less expensive models but this has a metal container that seals well and keeps the food warm while I eat.

Last edited:

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
follow kent rollins on youtube. he's a cowboy chuck wagon cook. He does a lot of stuff that would be easy to do on the trail, usually on an open fire. Lots of cast iron cooking too. Easy to bring a skillet and dutch oven when you're "overlanding!"

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
I sometimes prepare the whole meal and vacuum seal it and heat it later on the trail, minus any liquid stuff.

I also have one of these to prep the meal while I drive to my first camp in case I arrive too late and do not really want to cook.

It is great for having a warm meal with no fuss. There are less expensive models but this has a metal container that seals well and keeps the food warm while I eat.

My meals are done with that in mind, but I use a stove of many sorts. If I plan on having a naviguesser, I bring a bigger pot so I can boil 2x the water. Fresh reheated lasagna with garlic toast. It's rough I tell you. I've also done turkey ,potato ,dressing,with gravy and cranberry. All in a bag ready to go!

SnoRnR

Follow Fire to Fork on YouTube. I also love watching Sam the Cook guy. I’ve got a mean burger recipe now 80/20 chuck to short rib.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
A small bush craft SS grill, a LNT fire pit, a KC Strip from the local grocery store while getting gas, a packet of bbq beans and a nice view. Makes for a great satisfying meal while living off the back of your moto.9B151FB1-A05A-433B-8870-406CB5108D75.jpeg0F145059-C49C-4B5A-8E6E-B13FF1F57164.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94