Is there a common GMRS channel that you guys use when on the trails?

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Well for help channel 9 has always been the de-facto emergency channel. It doesn't have to be a "Help me i'm dying" emergency channel. I've heard people using it just for safety and status updates for the local area, "Road X washed out, please bypass" "Vehicle stuck and needing a tow at area Y" "Lost child found near camp Z" etc.

If it's for general jaw-jacking with friends it's whichever channel has the least traffic.

rayra

Expedition Leader
keep in mind that channels 1-14 are the same as FRS, so you might be far more likely to be heard on those lower channels, first. But you might not hear them due to distance and your own signal power compared to FRS.

dreadlocks

462.675 tone: 141.3 (Ch20) is the National Emergency Calling Frequency.. I monitor it from time to time and all my radios are programed to use that for channel 9 (for 911).. I dont monitor it much anymore because some idiot put a repeater with that output tone and all I get is morse code every 15mins or people rag chewing.

SEA members were instrumental in bringing UHF technology to other public service groups in CB, especially R.E.A.C.T. (Radio Emergency Associated Citizens Teams). Beginning in 1976 key NSEA members spent extensive time meeting with REACT teams in more than a dozen-and-a-half different states, bringing a portable repeater, together with a number of mobile and portable units for field demonstrations...As a result, over 200 personal use repeater systems (all on the same frequency [462.675 MHz]) were set up throughout the United States. In recognition of this trend of explosive growth the Federal Communications Commission formally recognized our frequency [462.675 MHz] as the national emergency and traveler's assistance channel in the Part 95A Rules and Regulations.

However GMRS out in the wilderness is mostly for personal comms, very little use or monitoring, I highly doubt you'll raise anyone normally.. if you want the ability to summon help reliability, get a HAM.. tons of repeaters, activity and people monitoring national calling frequencies.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94