Is there a better way?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
This title is a bit of a misnomer in that it is phrased as a question. There has to be a better way. The solution might have already been mentioned in this forum somewhere, but ... too lazy to search. More fun to post! :wings:

Anyway, I have interior accessories such as my CB radio, my GPS, and an FM modulator with wires jammed into my fuse panel for power. I tend to think it would be better if there was a dedicated power terminal that could be used for this purpose.

Does anyone have any pictures of a cleanly installed, custom, or aftermarket power hub for interior accessories like mine? Any recommendations?

250056195_4ff5a65846.jpg

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Yes, there is a better way!

Cheapest way:

It's called an add-a-fuse and they look like this:

1307l.jpg

I use this to power the relay for my off-road lights. Here is my install article if you want to read it: http://www.ttora.com/wiki/index.php/IPF_968_Driving/Fog_Lamps The add-a-fuse works great if you have an open slot in your fuse box and the draw isn't too high (e.g.,don't use it for a 2M radio)

The other way is with a fuse panel. I, like many other have used this:
http://www.bluesea.com/product.asp?Product_Id=23629&d_Id=7463&l1=7463&l2=#

It's the Bluesea 5025 Negative bus panel. I mounted it in the back of the cab. For the wiring, I lucked out a bit. I went to an XS Cargo store and found a package a Monster Cable 8 gauge amp wiring kit for only $13. Since it only comes with a short ground cable I bought two. I then wired it directly from my battery, along the drivers frame rail up through a floor drain plug in the rear and to the fuse panel. The install turned out great and it currently powers my 2M radio.

edit - for safety I also added a fuse to both the power and ground.

Pete

Robthebrit

Explorer
The add a fuse system is good but if you are adding high current devices you need to be carefuk what you buddy up with. If you want a lot of devices the cleanest is a distribution type fusebox, The distribution type fuse box is better because it internally connects all the feeds (some also have a negative bus if you want complete isolation). The standard fuse box is functionally no worse you need a little feed wire that jumps from fuse to fuse. There are more connections to go wrong, it does not look as tidy and its a pain in the ass to make that little jumper.

WestMarine have some nice Blue Sea fuse boxes of all sizes but I have never seen any that take SAE blade fuses, as the links above show you can get them but you will probably have to order them. My mog does not use blade fuses so the marine type was a better choice.

You probably want to avoid the cheap and nasty fuse boxes that you can buy from places like PepBoys/Autozone.

Rob

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
There is a little Jewel called a "Fuse tap". It is a LOT safer then jamming the wires under the fuse trick. You run the risk of pushing the wires through the back of the fuse block and shorting it out when you do the bare wire trick.

Your Jeep has several AUX points where you can plug a spade in but for more then maybe a couple amps draw I highly recommend going to a AUX Fuse box like was posted above. Stock fuse panel will not carry much in the way of add on's.

Most Stereo shops will have a cheap 5-6 position fuse panel in stock. Power one directly off the battery and be sure to put a suitable size fuse at the battery for the AUX box.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
This is just a picture I found. I imagined all these accessories to be powered cshontz-style, with leads jammed into the fuse panel. lol :)

254051892_5214a254a4_o.jpg

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I use a Blue Sea fuse block, I hooked the fuse block up using a car stereo amplifier install kit that uses 4g wires. I can never quite figure out the art to crimping the wires right, so I solder them then attempt to crimp them.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:
This is just a picture I found. I imagined all these accessories to be powered cshontz-style, with leads jammed into the fuse panel. lol :)

:xxrotflma
Looks like someone got a roll of red wire for xmas!

That is one of my "pet peeves". For heavens sake they make different colors. Color coding can make troubleshooting much easier.

shawkins

Adventurer
If you just need a power terminal, Wrangler NW Power Products makes nice ones, but they dont have them on their website anymore.

Im using one and it works great!

eugene

Explorer
Do you have a factory service manual for your jeep? Did they ever offer it with a police package? I bought the police package fuse block from a Chevy Tahoe to put in my check truck so it matched the factory fuses and wiring. The police package from Chevy has an extra fuse block under the dash for police radios, I just took the bare block and wired it my own way and have all my interior accessories coming from it. I then took a second one like it and mounted it inside my cap for loads there. This way I only carry one type of spare fuse and connector.

Icewalker

Adventurer
k6uk said:
Check out the power pole products at places like www.powerwerx.com

Here are some pix:

ps-6aa_xlrg.jpg

rigrunners_4008_xlrg.jpg

rigrunners_4005_xlrg.jpg

I like powerpoles a lot...

-Mike

Those are awesome - I have a feeling that I may be spending some cash with those folks once I get to the wiring part of my rebuild.

Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94