Is the Toyota Land Cruiser based on the Tundra or Tacoma?

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
So couldnt you say that the 200 and Tundra share the same platform? (That's not a bad thing)

I'm not knocking the 200 in any way... actually seriously considering purchasing one this year. Just trying to fully understand the model.

stom_m3

Observer
So couldnt you say that the 200 and Tundra share the same platform? (That's not a bad thing)

I'm not knocking the 200 in any way... actually seriously considering purchasing one this year. Just trying to fully understand the model.

Rarely are economies of scale a bad thing for the consumer. As I understand from reading this thread, the "A" pillar forward are shared between the Tundra, Sequoia, and 200. The A pillar back on the Tundra is C channel and on the 200 it's fully boxed.

Brian, have you compared the Sequoia and 200 from the A pillar rearward? It's a bummer that the Sequoia doesn't share the same rear axle and suspension setup. It would make my life so much easier... :)

bjowett

Adventurer
I like to say the Tundra is based on the 200. The 200 is the original reason for the design of these particular components and the chassis that they make up. Toyota then chose to utilize it to produce a HD half ton pickup for the USA market. The Tundra is a "K" chassis… Toyota has produced the K chassis trucks since the 1950's, beginning with the Stout, which continued through three generations (I think we only saw the first gen the in states) up to the late 80's. I do not know a ton about the Stout series, but I believe they were their own chassis, built larger and HD than the Hilux. The next K chassis we saw here was the T100. It was based on Hilux/Pickup components. After the T100, we received the 1st gen Tundra, which again shares much with the smaller truck chassis/Tacoma. The latest K, as mentioned first, is the 2nd gen Tundra.

The Sequoia uses a nice fully boxed frame, everything is HD…. I've speculated that if the LC 300 goes for rear independent suspension, it will be like the Sequoia. The Sequoia IRS is sweet, a HD mid travel multilink unit.

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Sorry to digg out this old post, but since i need a replacement for my Land Rover Disco III and all those nice LC 200 over here are stuffed to the max with unnecessary ********, i wonder how the frame and rear axle of the much more common Toyota J15 measures up to the older big brother?

The J 200 according to bjowett had a massive frame profile of 185x90x3.2mm which is quite a good indicator of general strenght, can the J15 compare at all to that?

4Beast

Observer
Sorry to digg out this old post, but since i need a replacement for my Land Rover Disco III and all those nice LC 200 over here are stuffed to the max with unnecessary ****, i wonder how the frame and rear axle of the much more common Toyota J15 measures up to the older big brother?

The J 200 according to bjowett had a massive frame profile of 185x90x3.2mm which is quite a good indicator of general strenght, can the J15 compare at all to that?
The 200 series is a pretty big truck, a bit bigger than the 100 series. I don't know any J15, but if you are talking about the 150 platform then that is quite a bit smaller, as it is a 4Runner/Prado platform, but probably relatively close in size to the Disco III. It won't probably be quite as sturdy as a 200 series, but will be 50x more reliable than anything Land Rover has ever made. There are threads out there comparing the components of the Land Cruiser to the 4Runner so you can see the difference in comparative robustness.

nickw

Adventurer
Sorry to digg out this old post, but since i need a replacement for my Land Rover Disco III and all those nice LC 200 over here are stuffed to the max with unnecessary ****, i wonder how the frame and rear axle of the much more common Toyota J15 measures up to the older big brother?

J150? The LC200 is significantly beefier, much bigger rear axle, front diff and tcase.....built to a "Land Cruiser" standard. The Prado's (GX460/470) are built very similar to the 4Runner, FJ Cruisers and Tacomas.

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Yeah that's kinda what i was afraid of, because from the look of it it already seemes this way. Actuallly at least the frame and front IFS on my Disco 3 are definetly stronger compared to the J12 (Prado of a couple years back). But that's the problem here: Everything really robust is either ridicoulusly overpriced (G-Wagon, Land Cruiser 7-Series, LC200), or too big (Ford Super Duty/Ram 2500) or both (LC200 again).

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
This Aussie website seems to class the 150-series Prado with the Discovery.

I don't know that I ever heard of a 120 or 150 series Toyota being weak. It's not a 100 or 200 series Land Cruiser but those are in a class alone. A U.S.-spec UZJ200 has a GVWR of 7,385 lbs with a 1,320 lbs payload. Guys with 200 series I travel with say their trucks built-out can be around 8,000 lbs on the scale.

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Yeah that's what i heard to, also the J200 is getting used for armored version often and one guy i asked there told me, that up to 10.000lbs they only change the shocks (but then again, those are not used for offroading anymore). However the G-Wagon with the wider axles has a 9500lbs rating for offroad use and a gigantic payload, while beeing the same size and of high quality, just the price is a huge turnoff

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Ah one vehicle that's a tad cheaper but also rare, would be the newer patrol (the nice older ones are almost gone over here, since they got dicontinued back in 09). As far as i know, the Y62 kept the old patrol frame and just switched (unfortunatly) front and rear axles to IS right?

DaveInDenver

Isn't the current Armada the same as a Patrol? Nissan went independent suspension all around with the Y62, right?

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Yeah it is, but does it got the beefy patrol frame, or something lighter/weaker for **************** comfort reasons? And is the IFS/IRS at least somewhat comparable to the Toyos?

DaveInDenver

Yeah it is, but does it got the beefy patrol frame, or something lighter/weaker for **************** comfort reasons? And is the IFS/IRS at least somewhat comparable to the Toyos?
I think it's probably safe to say the 2017+ Armada is Patrol under the skin. First it's made in Japan (just like the 200 series and 4Runner still are, BTW). The Armada has a 1,723 lbs payload and 7,300 lbs GVWR, so similar capacities to a UZJ200.

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Hm does the Armada have the same suspension as the Patrol/Infinitiy QX80? Because i see a lot of lift kits with the Armada - is that possible with the HBMCS? I thought that was like the air suspension - hard to modify at all?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne