Is the Toyota Land Cruiser based on the Tundra or Tacoma?

doubleroses

Adventurer
Actually that's wrong. The FJCruiser styling was influenced by the FJ40 but that's it. Chassis and platform are more or less from the GX/4Runner with some changes.

This is a good explanation. The Cruiser has always been a stand-alone platform. Even the new Tundra and Sequoia (although they have some similarities) are not based on the 200 series Cruiser.
That's the same thing I said but ok. I guess I should have been more specific with the "styling" aspect of it. One glance at the FJ Cruiser and we can clearly see where it got its cosmetic influences from. With size and the fact that its a more modern vehicle obviously there are going to be upgrades in suspension and whatnot.

There is my previous comment now expanded :D

Last edited:

Matttathome

I would be interested to know the internal differences as well? I believe in the 100 series, the 4.7 is technically the same motor and can be swapped, but I think the Cruisers came with forged internals. Does the 200 carry forward these kinds of internal upgrades?

Box Rocket

That's the same thing I said but ok. I guess I should have been more specific with the "styling" aspect of it. One glance at the FJ Cruiser and we can clearly see where it got its cosmetic influences from. With size and the fact that its a more modern vehicle obviously there are going to be upgrades in suspension and whatnot.

There is my previous comment now expanded :D

It's all good. :) I was easily confused since the earlier comments were asking more about drivetrain and chassis similarities and crossover.

gen

Toyota UK has a bunch of interesting history posts on the Hilux and the Land Cruiser:

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/history-of-the-toyota-land-cruiser-station-wagon-models

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/history-of-the-toyota-land-cruiser-heavy-and-light-duty-models-2

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/history-of-the-toyota-hilux

Others have mentioned the differences but the main difference is that the Tacoma and the Tundra are made in the US whereas the Land Cruiser (all of them) are made in Japan by Araco (a subsidiary of Toyota.) They share some parts but the big difference is the front diff. All of the US Toyota models are IFS whereas the 70 Series is solid front axle. There are IFS Land Cruisers (the 150 Prado/200) as well of course.

Last edited:

Oshkosh-P

Observer
The 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 and 100 series of Land Cruiser are incredibly well built. They were designed for severe use in hostile conditions with very little maintenance. The only real "cross pollination" of these vehicles is the 105 series which is an 80 series chassis and running gear, with a 100 series body. (The Lexus LX450 and 470 are dressed up 80 and 100 series). The durability of these models are why they are used by the UN, NGOs and military around the world.

The 90 and 120 series or "Prado" are both light duty "civilian" based Land Cruisers intended for use in a much more casual environment

I also think this is a quite good explanation, but i am still wondering where to put the J200.

It was definetly designed in the era of the soft-core Land Cruisers, it looks quite similar to the J15 too and is shure has much high-tech toys inside. But on the other hand, there is a low-tech version for customers like the UN and the front suspension looks definetly stronger than the one i know from it's predecessor, the J100. The rear axles also looks at least as massive as the rear of the J80 or J100.

After all i still think the frame of any truck speaks the clearest, since it is the backbone. From Geko (in this forum) i know that the old J80 had a frame of: height 15cm / width 6cm / thickness 4mm

So if the J200 can compare to his grand dad, i guess it would still be true land cruiser.

I've read somewhere that the frame is based on the tundra, but got fully boxed, shortened and modified in the front, maybe soeone can specify.

Greetings

haaank

Terrorists prefer Landcruisers.

If you want to roll around wreaking havoc on the world.....and you are constantly fighting reliability issues, holding fatwahs down at the Landrover master mechanics shop who is up to his ears in work......you just arent likely to be getting your message across.

Theres a reason successful terrorist groups in Landrrovers are never seen on CNN:victory:

Basically my thinking as well, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bjowett

Adventurer
Still a true Land Cruiser. Front diff is an 8.7", rear is still the 9.5".

J200 frame 90.3mm wide x 185mm tall. 3.2mm thick.

Oshkosh-P

Observer
@bjowett

You shure about these measurements? Or did you measure them yourself? (if so, i guess you did it in the middle of the truck, so at the strongest point?)

This would be an incredible strong frame, in fact the strongest one in it's class! The patrol has 170x70x3.5, the G-wagon 155x77x3, so both quite a bit smaller.

Still those two got the stronger front since they feature a solid front axle, but if those numbers are true, there is no doubt the J200 is definetly stronger than the j100 all around.

Since you have listed a tundra as well in your signature - could you measure that too? I know it is an open c-channel frame so you can not really compare the two, bit if it has an equal width and the same height, i guess it is possible that the J200 frame is indeed a boxed tundra frame.

bjowett

Adventurer
Yes, the height and width are from the Toyota manual, verified by me. I also measured the thickness.

The Tundra frame is pretty much the same from the very front until just after transfer case support/crossmember. At that point it becomes a C channel with reinforcing plates inside the top and bottom of the rails. Those run to roughly to the leaf spring mount, where it goes to straight C.

The 200 chassis was utilized to create the Tundra.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I'm confused.

We've established that the engine, transmission, front suspension/front diff, and front half of the frame is the same between the 200 series and the Tundra.

And the second gen Tundra came out a full year before the 200 series,

But yet the 200 Series is not based on the Tundra architecture? Ehhhhh

bjowett

Adventurer
Yes, the 200 Series development began in the early 2000's. Why Toyota chose to bring the Tundra to market first… well, only Toyota knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne