Is the Toyota Land Cruiser based on the Tundra or Tacoma?

RoyJ

Adventurer
You're right. I re-checked... its R180 front, R230 rear. Still only a 7" ring gear up front. ROW gets C200 front, R248 rear.

This is very disheartening, and shatters my idea of building an Armada as a cheap man's Patrol overlander. I can't imagine how those tiny diffs are going to stand up the the 400 hp, deep 1st gear ratio, large tires, and high GVW.

Wonder if it's possible to swap in the M205 / 235 from the Titan / XD. Don't know what options are available for the rear, other than buying a legit Y62 rear end.

XJLI

Adventurer
This is very disheartening, and shatters my idea of building an Armada as a cheap man's Patrol overlander. I can't imagine how those tiny diffs are going to stand up the the 400 hp, deep 1st gear ratio, large tires, and high GVW.

Wonder if it's possible to swap in the M205 / 235 from the Titan / XD. Don't know what options are available for the rear, other than buying a legit Y62 rear end.

Apparently the Titan swap is "doable" but I've never seen or heard of anything doing it. There are a couple (literally 2) of NAS Y62s in the Nissan subforum who are serious about the platform, but I'd never get into one the way they neutered them for the US. Not worth it IMO.

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Hm wondering how the modern-day Ford Expedition would compare frame and axlewise to the worldwide modern-day Patrol?

nickw

Adventurer
Hm wondering how the modern-day Ford Expedition would compare frame and axlewise to the worldwide modern-day Patrol?
It's a great question. Based on what I can see, the prev model Patrol with the solid axle was a 260mm (10.2") while the current IRS is 248mm (9.7"). The current explorer looks to have a 9.75", but not sure if that is a "max tow" option or not, like in the F150's where you need to upgrade to "max tow", "max payload" or "Raptor" to get the 9.75" rear axle. I'd guess the front is the same 223mm (8.8") that's in all the F150's.....not sure what the Patrol uses.

Oshkosh-P

Observer
So the WW (woldwide, think that#s easier) Patrol has C220 / R248 right? (what#s C and R anways?) The old one had 260 front and rear? I guess not right? Anyways, that's of course massiv, but the Patrol was always known for it's ridicoulus axles. You mean the Explorer?? Or the Expedition? But with 8.8/9.75, the ford would definetly be pretty beefy, at least for the IFS/IRS, the frame is bigger i think, but with thinner material...which is hydroformed on the other hand...

Oshkosh-P

Observer
P.S. Obviously the best would be an Expedition with that sweet HD aluminium Suspension from the Raptor front AND rear ;)

nickw

Adventurer
So the WW (woldwide, think that#s easier) Patrol has C220 / R248 right? (what#s C and R anways?) The old one had 260 front and rear? I guess not right? Anyways, that's of course massiv, but the Patrol was always known for it's ridicoulus axles. You mean the Explorer?? Or the Expedition? But with 8.8/9.75, the ford would definetly be pretty beefy, at least for the IFS/IRS, the frame is bigger i think, but with thinner material...which is hydroformed on the other hand...
I meant the Expedition....not sure if the Explorer comes with the 9.75 option.

Where did you find the C220? I couldn't find that anywhere, not that I don't think it's correct but came up short when I was searching.

I'd guess due to NVH requirements in the US the frame if flexier and not as stiff but that is just spitballing it..

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Ah damn that was a typo! But what's that R and C buiseness anyways?

The fram measurements of the F-150 frame (which i guess is the Expedition frame) are 225x70x2.5 or 2.8 (i guess the longer version of the pickup). The patrol as statet 170x70x3.5 so a lot more frame height, but a lot less thickness. In general i would prefer the thickness, but Ford uses that boron steel and hydroforming, and it's a frame for a Pickup, so i would guess the Ford's tougher.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The current explorer looks to have a 9.75", but not sure if that is a "max tow" option or not, like in the F150's where you need to upgrade to "max tow", "max payload" or "Raptor" to get the 9.75" rear axle.
I think the 9.75 axle in the F150's comes with the 3:73 axle ratio as well. I have it in my truck with the 5.0L. I do not have the max payload or tow packages.

nickw

Adventurer
I think the 9.75 axle in the F150's comes with the 3:73 axle ratio as well. I have it in my truck with the 5.0L. I do not have the max payload or tow packages.
I've heard some rumors of one-off 9.75's in F150s but based on my (lousy) research of the Ford forums nobody was able to pin down exactly what triggered rigs getting it or not. Ford doesn't seem to be very transparent with the info, although I know the "Max" packages (officially) call it out...

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I've heard some rumors of one-off 9.75's in F150s but based on my (lousy) research of the Ford forums nobody was able to pin down exactly what triggered rigs getting it or not. Ford doesn't seem to be very transparent with the info, although I know the "Max" packages (officially) call it out...
Maybe it depended on the day it was built, haha

billiebob

The LandCruiser was one of the toughest most reliable platforms in 4WD history. In the 1990s they did lots to Lux it up but it was still a rough and tumble 4x4. Everything since then has been built, marketed to get Suzy Soccer Mom and her Real Estate Salesman husband to buy a car with 4WD. Is it luxurious, connected, does it cruise the interstate, is it stylish at the gym. Gone are the goals of just getting thru ******** without breaking. Gone to is the goal of fixing it in the bush.

And sorry, this is not a statement about just Toyota, this is where the industry is in North America. Every manufacturer is throwing nanny systems on vehicles which were once tough and then adding Limp Home overrides so you can spend a week idling home.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior